C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

MRC Update - My review

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 11:14 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by cvwb
I had my upgrade done yesterday. Today I drove about 50 miles over familiar streets of all kinds. I may be a heretic or just less observant than most, but I don't feel/sense much of a difference with the new calibration - maybe some increased smoothness in sport. I'm not sure I would say it's worth the cost but I do like to have the car as up to date as possible.
Did you notice an increased heaviness in the steering wheel while in Sport?
Old 02-23-2018, 01:52 PM
cvwb
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Did you notice an increased heaviness in the steering wheel while in Sport?
It's hard to be sure but I think there may be a bit more resistance - nothing dramatic.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:14 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
No sir, you have a 60-70k used 2016 (maybe...).

Why should this be free? Every model comes out with new features and upgrades. If you want the latest and greatest I would be willing to bet your dealer will offer you $50k for your "$90k Chevy" so you can upgrade to all the newest features.
Because the harsh ride bends wheels and cracks them too!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2018, 05:51 PM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Barker
Because the harsh ride bends wheels and cracks them too!!!!!!
You have suggested that the upgrade should be free from GM because "harsh ride bends/cracks wheels" (my paraphrasing)

My reply is:
True, it can damage wheels -but so too does the inability of local crews to keep roads together this time of year. OH and MI are currently a mess right now. My crappy rental with 17" wheels and non-runflats was killing me in the Ann Arbor area just a few weeks ago. Brutal !!!

I think this is not a simple, single cause, single solution issue that GM and its dealers can be expected to solve, unilaterally, on their own dimes.

Last edited by HighBeta; 02-23-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:33 PM
Cubicinches
Racer

Received 415 Likes on 154 Posts

For those that noticed an increased heaviness in the steering, did you check that the steering option in the Settings menu hadn't changed? I don't know why it would have, but perhaps you used to drive in Touring and either the MRC update or dealer changed it to Sport?
Old 02-24-2018, 06:59 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cubicinches
For those that noticed an increased heaviness in the steering, did you check that the steering option in the Settings menu hadn't changed? I don't know why it would have, but perhaps you used to drive in Touring and either the MRC update or dealer changed it to Sport?
Always drive mine in "Sport."
Old 02-24-2018, 08:29 PM
buckeye4
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Always drive mine in "Sport."
Same here and I did not need to reset my steering after my upgrade.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:11 PM
Cubicinches
Racer

Received 415 Likes on 154 Posts

I plan to have the MRC updated done tomorrow. I assume I can set my car to Valet Mode, right? Or does the dealer need to be able to access the Infotainment setting?
Old 02-25-2018, 02:28 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

I plan to have the MRC updated done tomorrow. I assume I can set my car to Valet Mode, right? Or does the dealer need to be able to access the Infotainment setting?
There have been reports (nothing I can find at the moment) that setting to valet mode could make it impossible to complete the update. I don't recall the details but in a nutshell valet mode locks out some of the car's electronic subsystems by design that are required to be active and accessible for the update.

You could try it but may result in a waste of the appointment and having to come back...

Had mine done a couple of weeks ago and while I haven't had much seat time due to weather and work, initial impressions have been very positive. As discussed ad nauseum, Tour mode improved for stability and compliance on routine drives and Sport mode seemingly better balanced. No time in Track to speak of and certainly not in a proper environment. Steering does seem notably heavier in Sport and Track but in a very good way.

Overall, money well spent on my daily driver Z06. Initially, the car seemed less "refined" than I had hoped for but I chalked it up to being a Z06 and happy to be in one. The adjustment made it what I had hoped for, especially when moving from a base C6 to an MSRC equipped car. A great touring rig that dials up to a canyon carver and then again to a track weapon as wanted...

Allen
Old 02-25-2018, 11:03 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

FWIW, there is no need for the dealer to test-drive the car after the MRC installation.
The following users liked this post:
HighBeta (02-25-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 04:22 PM
Puttnutt24
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Anybody have any new news when the '17 Z07 updates might be available?
Old 02-26-2018, 04:58 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
Gee thanks for helping me understand. I was completly wrong! Sorry!

Here I thought the customer was #1. I thought businesses bent over backwards to keep and make customers happy. Little did I realize GM was so hard up for money

I think I’ll get this done and pay them $700 to help them out. Plus I better reimburse them for those free oil changes
I don't see your gripe. If you don't like the offer you don't have to purchase it. If you want the update and don't want to pay for it all you have to do is go purchase a 2018 or 2019. That way there is no charge for the upgrade as it is included in the purchase price of the car. A lot easier for all involved.

I am sure that is much more cost effective from your view point. From there view point maybe it would have been better not to have offered the upgrade at all. They could have done like all the other manufacturers and just say to everybody if you want the new capability we have a new car for sale. They definitely wouldn't have had people griping because thy offered an upgrade they didn't have to go out of their way to do.

From my view point I want them to keep on taking care of their Customers and providing further upgrades where possible. They went to a lot of effort to package various software options for cars with different configurations, worrying about people who didn't want to change their track calibrations but wanted to change their street calibrations, offering packages for separate model years because the cars had different configurations. That means there was a lot of customization involved to deliver an appropriate upgrade based on model year and owner preferences.

Oh, as for the free oil changes. You paid for those when you purchased the car. Again, included in the price. If you decided to go someplace else or do it yourself you were paying twice for the oil change. There has never been an auto manufacturer who offered free oil changes. They just raised the price by the cost of the oil change and said it is free. Fools the unwise and captures them into doing business with the dealer VS Jiffy Lube down the street.

Bill
Satanspawn (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 05:27 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I had mine set in valet mode and the SA had to get my code to take it out of valet mode to complete either that update or the update on the rear trunk open recall that I also had done at the same time.

Note: Putting the car in valet mode and then removing it has a propensity to keep the trunk release from working. Given I had a software update done on the trunk "open light" I thought they had done something. Turns out you simply need to open the trunk (hatch for you non vert guys) with the key and it will all start working normally again.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:34 PM
MacRoadie
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I don't see your gripe. If you don't like the offer you don't have to purchase it. If you want the update and don't want to pay for it all you have to do is go purchase a 2018 or 2019. That way there is no charge for the upgrade as it is included in the purchase price of the car. A lot easier for all involved.

I am sure that is much more cost effective from your view point. From there view point maybe it would have been better not to have offered the upgrade at all. They could have done like all the other manufacturers and just say to everybody if you want the new capability we have a new car for sale. They definitely wouldn't have had people griping because thy offered an upgrade they didn't have to go out of their way to do.

From my view point I want them to keep on taking care of their Customers and providing further upgrades where possible. They went to a lot of effort to package various software options for cars with different configurations, worrying about people who didn't want to change their track calibrations but wanted to change their street calibrations, offering packages for separate model years because the cars had different configurations. That means there was a lot of customization involved to deliver an appropriate upgrade based on model year and owner preferences.

Oh, as for the free oil changes. You paid for those when you purchased the car. Again, included in the price. If you decided to go someplace else or do it yourself you were paying twice for the oil change. There has never been an auto manufacturer who offered free oil changes. They just raised the price by the cost of the oil change and said it is free. Fools the unwise and captures them into doing business with the dealer VS Jiffy Lube down the street.

Bill

And yet millions of people will buy a new iPhone every 10 months, rather than have Apple (the wealthiest and most cash-rich corporation on the planet) simply upgrade their current phone. I guess Apple hasn't made enough dough to warrant the "Customer is #1" and "I guess I didn't realize Apple was hard up for money" criticisms yet.

I'd love to see someone waltz into an Apple Store and demand that their 4 year old iPhone 5 be upgraded to an iPhone 8, because the customer is #1. I mean, GM is supposed to update 4 year old cars for free, right? Oh yeah, first you'd have to undo the "updates" Apple surreptitiously applied to make your old phone SLOWER...

Last edited by MacRoadie; 02-26-2018 at 06:30 PM.
sunsalem (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 06:15 PM
Howdie
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
100% agree Bill. A few have inferred this cost GM "next to nothing" or was turned out by 2 kids on a keyboard. I work in a technical industry, quite frankly, I doubt GM is making much money, if any, on this $350.00 upgrade and all of its variations. These things take A LOT of work and testing. Thanks GM, I think you are taking care of us on this one. Man, why do we have to be the hardest to please, crankiest, grumpiest car owners in the world all of the time?
Checkmate1 (02-26-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 01:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

I think people forget that all of the money a company has (other than some interest earned on cash reserves) comes from their Investors and Customers. The only difference between investors and Customers is investors want their money back with some interest or dividend attached while Customers just want the product being provided in return for their cash.

Since investors want all of their money back that means everything is eventually paid for by the Customer. Warranty repairs and recall costs are anticipated and priced into the selling price of the vehicle as are marketing costs and profits. There is no such thing as a company paying for anything with their profit. It all comes from the Customer.

The people that work for a company don't work for free. It takes somebody's time and effort to develop a change, their time to test the change to make sure it works as planned and if unexpected situations are encountered doesn't fail in a way to harm somebody or something. Testing and correcting issues found in testing can take a lot of time. Then you have the costs of engineering change control which can add up to a lot even for a change that is so simple it only took a week to perfect. That pulls in configuration management since you have to be sure you have the change set up so it works with various configurations of vehicles. Coordinating all of that takes a lot of time as well. Take 2 or 3 highly paid engineers working for 4 weeks to develop the various packages, add a highly paid test driver working for a week along with a crew of people to support the car while being tested, then there are consumables used during the testing that have to be paid for. Add in some rework based on test results that brings the software developers back into the picture, package everything so you can assign part numbers, go through an engineering release and change control which can involve another 5 or 6 highly paid people and you have a product. Add in the labor to do the installation at the dealerships and some profit as all companies do and you have the final price. $350 is like giving the update away.

Anybody in a company that goes into their boss and says we should give something away for free would be shown the door in this manner:

Bill
Lavender (03-17-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 04:34 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

The more I drive my car the better the update feels, really a great value IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To MRC Update - My review

Old 02-27-2018, 05:48 PM
DOOKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
The more I drive my car the better the update feels, really a great value IMO.
Thanks for the update.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:54 PM
lotti
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MacRoadie

And yet millions of people will buy a new iPhone every 10 months, rather than have Apple (the wealthiest and most cash-rich corporation on the planet) simply upgrade their current phone. I guess Apple hasn't made enough dough to warrant the "Customer is #1" and "I guess I didn't realize Apple was hard up for money" criticisms yet.

I'd love to see someone waltz into an Apple Store and demand that their 4 year old iPhone 5 be upgraded to an iPhone 8, because the customer is #1. I mean, GM is supposed to update 4 year old cars for free, right? Oh yeah, first you'd have to undo the "updates" Apple surreptitiously applied to make your old phone SLOWER...
Don't get me wrong I don't mind paying for this, as I did today. But the Apple comparison is wrong. This is merely a software update to existing hardware. If I am not mistaken Apple offers free of charge the latest IOS software to everyone free when it comes out.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:12 PM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by lotti
Don't get me wrong I don't mind paying for this, as I did today. But the Apple comparison is wrong. This is merely a software update to existing hardware. If I am not mistaken Apple offers free of charge the latest IOS software to everyone free when it comes out.
Getting into this failed analogy: I strongly suggest that Apple, Samsung, etc. would not ever consider offering free IOS (or Android) updates if each portable device had to brought in to a retail place of business to download the update.

Free OTA updates are understandable when no physical presence of or physical connection to the device is required. That is not the case with our cars.

Last edited by HighBeta; 02-27-2018 at 11:54 PM.

Quick Reply: MRC Update - My review