C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Heading to Spring Mountain May 7 & 8

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 05:04 PM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

Just boarded the plane, I think I’m going to try to watch as many Fast and Furious movies as possible. I’d like to learn as much as possible before tomorrow’s classes.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:47 AM
Pizz
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by smurfmacaw
The real eye opener is the instructor ride along. While they are supposedly supposed to not get crazy (you don't wear a helmet even) it was WAY faster than I had driven and very instructive.......they intentionally wait for the ride along to keep you sane while learning the course. I had no idea just how sticky the car was on corners and the whole idea of throttle steering was an eyeopener for me....Subsequent laps were more "spirited" and fun. The instructors are willing to push you to the edge of your ability when you are behind them so you'll get to drive to your ability. I get another GM sponsorship for buying the Callaway SC757 so I guess my wife gets that one.....Gotta find a couple grand more to drive too lol.
That sounds amazing. Can't wait.....
Old 05-10-2018, 06:16 PM
Pizz
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Feedback on the Spring Mountain Course

I spent Monday and Tuesday in the Corvette Owner's Course at Spring Mountain. Summary comment: Amazing!

My knowledge of the car, how to turn, how to brake, track management and everything track, went up significantly (I never tracked a car before).

The facility is excellent, the staff is welcoming and the instructors are top notch. The instructors are in each group's lead car, watching and critiquing you through their rear-view mirrors, while holding a radio in one hand and the steering wheel in the other. Oh, and they are also driving the course at a spirited rate at the same time! Just amazing talent! They will go as fast as you can competently push them.

The braking, steering, vision, skid pad and on track exercises were well laid out and connected well with the classroom time. An evening of digesting all the new info was required before getting back on the track to put all the training to use. Then comes the demo ride with a pro driver. Wow. It really opens your eyes to what the car is capable of. The next sessions where a step above. The end of day 2 leaves you wanting another day....

The instructors are evaluated the drivers (behind the scenes, not publicly) and sorted us into groups of similar capabilities/aggressiveness. This made for fun time on the track.

The only negative was having to slow down in the middle of hot laps as we caught up to, and waited to pass, slower groups. Not sure how they could deal with that, though. I also overheated my car in 100 degree temps. Only thing that happened was the air conditioning shut off for a lap. I started using higher gears and it cooled down and AC came back on.

I highly recommend the course. Great value and a complete blast!

As a side note, no-one even dropped a tire off the track over the two days. It's a very safe setup.
The following users liked this post:
Perf n Restore (05-11-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 07:09 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizz
I spent Monday and Tuesday in the Corvette Owner's Course at Spring Mountain. Summary comment: Amazing!

My knowledge of the car, how to turn, how to brake, track management and everything track, went up significantly (I never tracked a car before).

The facility is excellent, the staff is welcoming and the instructors are top notch. The instructors are in each group's lead car, watching and critiquing you through their rear-view mirrors, while holding a radio in one hand and the steering wheel in the other. Oh, and they are also driving the course at a spirited rate at the same time! Just amazing talent! They will go as fast as you can competently push them.

The braking, steering, vision, skid pad and on track exercises were well laid out and connected well with the classroom time. An evening of digesting all the new info was required before getting back on the track to put all the training to use. Then comes the demo ride with a pro driver. Wow. It really opens your eyes to what the car is capable of. The next sessions where a step above.
Yup. I went into a state of information overload at the end of the first day, too much to process. Some things may have been resolved with sleep processing, but I was a little terrified the next day to find that I had been put into the faster driver group. The instructors don't tell you what group you've been put into, so some sorting skills are required, based on performance skills you've observed in other drivers from the previous day. Can't completely rule out that I ended up in the slowest group.

After riding along in the passenger seat with an instructor driving early on the second day, I learned a lot more about what this car is capable of. There's really no way to even come close to learning this on the street.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 05-10-2018 at 07:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Perf n Restore (05-11-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 11:32 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Warp Factor

After riding along in the passenger seat with an instructor driving early on the second day,I learned a lot more about what this car is capable of. .
Been neat if they had ride along on the 1st day. Drivers would probably have bigger ball and unfortunately more run offs.

Last edited by jaden61; 05-10-2018 at 11:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Heading to Spring Mountain May 7 & 8