C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Nurburgring update

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 06:45 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
You mean this guy ?
What in the hell was he doing ?
Who knows? Maybe he was a novice driver who didn't know how to control power to the driving wheels, or he was trying to "drift" the car, without sufficient countersteering practice,

Go Lou!

The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 07:26 PM
Rumba
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default Thanks for the update Lou!

Great to hear you’re comfortable with the track. They’re going to see the real master at work real soon!

Paul
The following 2 users liked this post by Rumba:
LG Motorsports (08-28-2018), Mikec7z (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 08:02 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Hi Guys.

What a way to wind up my Racing Career. I have one more thing up my sleeve for next year but this one is enough.

Again Thanks to APEX Nurburg for all the help and the great team that they have running and maintaining the fleet of cars.

I think Misha from APEX will have some video from this weekend as well.

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti
LG Motorsports.
Very impressive indeed, and very proud of you buddy, this has been a drama for sure, and those usually have awesome happy endings. I hope you have people filming things often, and if not, let me know, i wouldn't mind coming to spectate and help if need be with tiny things that are in my scope. You're a good dude, and im glad the vette was not you who wrecked, when i heard that, my heart sank earlier today as i was worried it was you for a moment. Glad you got some great seat time in, I believe you are capable of doing this now, and took this as seriously as you did, its a long track to memorize.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 08-28-2018 at 10:56 PM.
LG Motorsports (08-31-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 10:55 PM
traind
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 159 Posts

Great update Lou. Can you share more impressions of the track itself ? 1)what are the top two favorite parts of the track for you? And 2) what are the two trickiest sections?
LG Motorsports (08-30-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 10:59 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

is it possible to get 5 or 10 people who all take off ahead of you who understand what you are up to, and when they see you come in their mirrors, they give you all the room in the world to pass? That way you don't have to rent the whole track and fork out huge cash?

And im editing this post, because as fast as you will be going, you would probably need 30 people ahead of you all cooperating

Last edited by Mikec7z; 08-29-2018 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:09 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Hi Guys.

As of today, I am leaving Germany heading back to Dallas as I type this. My total miles of testing on Nurburgring is 720 miles. That is roughly 55 laps. All in Various BMW cars.
Our Corvette did not show up for the August 27-28 track days so I had to resort to renting another BMW but this time I got them from "APEX NUBURG" who are an excellent company and American owned by Robert Mitchell originally from the West Coast. Great company and if you get a chance you should head to the Ring and get a ride in one of their awesome cars or rent one.

I am at the point now that I know every bump on every corner and I would say that we should have a good chance to accomplish our goal. Today and yesterday there were 120 cars registered. I would say about 75 of them were Porsche, Lots of BMW and other various makes to fill the 120 spots.
There were 2 Corvettes there. One C7 Z06 crashed and I never did get to talk to him. the other one, a black one, I found him after he came off the track in the paddock and he would not even take my Card. ?? Oh well.

NO worries, I started out with zero time at Nurburgring and now I have more miles here than many so called "Experts". SOON we will put our Corvette and me to the test.

Does it help that I have raced as long as I have? Yes for sure. the hard part was not only knowing where the track went but what it did to the car in each situation.

We had to develop a C7 bump Steer kit for this car because I could feel that we had a problem. So we fixed it. NOW - had we not fixed that, I can tell you that at the Ring it would have been too unsettling and a confidence breaker.

At any rate, Stay tuned. Our Corvette should be thereby September 10th -14th. I might go over to do some "Tourist Days" there just to dial the car in and make any changes that we will need, plus it will give me time to get things shipped over if we need something.
In the Container, We have 3 tool boxes 7 sets of tires, Equal number of wheels, "Forgeline" IS building me 2 sets as we speak that they will be shipping over to Apex Nurburg for our run. They will save about 12 pounds per wheel for a total weight reduction just from the wheels at close to 50 pounds (rotating mass as well). They will have a hubcap made later with out Time etched in to the cap!! It better be a good time!!!!!

We also have Tire warmers, and a Generator to fire them up. we have body parts and spare wings and splitters because you never know when those guardrails will jump out and hit car!!
We also have full Scale set up plus Alignment equipment.
WE are going to be prepared for sure.!
Bilstein Sent us a new set of "Nurburgring Spec" Double adjustable shocks for us to install there as well.
AND we can not leave out the Tires. Pirelli Sent us tires to use for this attempt. I can not thank Pirelli the all the other product sponsors enough for the confidence they have in our run.

What a way to wind up my Racing Career. I have one more thing up my sleeve for next year but this one is enough.

Again Thanks to APEX Nurburg for all the help and the great team that they have running and maintaining the fleet of cars.

I think Misha from APEX will have some video from this weekend as well.

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti
LG Motorsports.

Sick...way to get it done! 55 laps at the ring...that's solid! All your spares, tires and wheels...you're ready as you can be, clearly. Awesome effort...I'm pullin for ya!
Old 08-29-2018, 04:10 AM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Yes, I am not sure who this was. He got bit by the TC OFF mode. Then when it got sideways, he got bit by the ABS! If there was no ABS the car would have locked up the brakes and slid sideways never touching the guardrail.
ONE thing I can tell you is that he did not have our suspension and Sway bars on the car (^_^)
Think it was a case of too much power, no counter steer and then lift off :-0

No suspension parts in the world can't help with that :-)

Old 08-29-2018, 10:23 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Still wishing you good luck!
Old 08-30-2018, 02:58 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by traind
Great update Lou. Can you share more impressions of the track itself ? 1)what are the top two favorite parts of the track for you? And 2) what are the two trickiest sections?

5 sections. Starting with
Light blue, - has km 1 ,2, 3 and 4 km at the end.
Yellow has 5km, 6 7 and ends with 8km
Dark Blue, has 9km, 10, 11 and 12km markets
Red has 13 to start then 14, 15, 16 and 17km
Gray. is the long straight. It has 18, 19, 20 and the finishing line shown with a 0

The first part -light blue- has the first 4km of track. Nothing special in the first 1km, just journeyman corners and eases.
Then at km #2 there is a double apex corner that is not only blind but you enter it at around 158 mph and slow down to 125mph to get through the two apex corner with full throttle after you enter and drive through the double apex corner.
This leads on to a flat out section with one fast sweeper at the 3km point heading to a tight corner between the 3 and 4 km marks.
Except for the high speed double apex at the 2km mark all other than the huge bump on the way into the double apex corner, the rest is just a run of the mill section.

Next the Yellow section. Start with the part between 4km and 5km. BIG *****, flat out down hill to an unbelievable up hill that needs to be flat all the way down hill then up
Then jump the curb on the left as you get down into 3rd gear for a right and Very Tight decreasing radius left hand turn and a right that heads to the 5km mark.
After the 5km mark, you are flat until you need to brake for a very fast left and another left. The second left is a 3rd gear corner and leads to the 6km mark.
At the 6km mark, it requires a very late apex. it is all down hill sweepers needing a perfect line and a modulating throttle heading to the 7km mark. It takes you to the slowest corner on the track at the bottom of this section.
The first tight left hand turn is a very late apex that is necessary to not miss the right line to head down to the next sharp left hand turn that heads toward a house.
Once you ge by the house (see note "Home") between 7km and 8km After the 8 km, comes a very fast and gutsy flat out left heading to a very important right hand. This is a late apex and power on as the track heads up hill to the second fastest straight.
This straight goes from the 9km to the 11km mark. Somewhere around the 10km mark on the "so called Straight", there is a fast left hand turn that should be flat out but we should hit around 170mph there so I will have to work up to it.
That turn at around the 10 km mark requires precision to go flat out and at the speed of our Corvette, it will need to be perfect.
Ok that leads to a very high speed left hand turn at around the 10.5 km then a blind right with a slight lift.
Now at the 11 km mark, a normal 180 degree corner that leads to the famous concrete Carousel .

After the Carousel, it goes up hill to the right then to a double left hand turn. the first left might be flat in the Corvette with our down force but we will see.
The second left is fast and really goes uphill so it is not as slow as it might seem. Then to a down hill right that is not slow but leads to a series of esses
The esses leal to down hill left hand turn that leads to a double right hand ordinary turn, where all the people come to watch around the 14km part.
The Exit of the second right hand turn is where the Corvette C7 crashed. It leads to an uphill left that heads down through a left right section, plenty of throttle.
Now entering the last right hand turn is a huge flying bump at the 15km mark. Brake before it, then head by some sand traps on the left and
you will know that the next set of corners, blind or not even the steep down hill gut wrenching section can and should be taken flat out or close
with at least a steady throttle.
All the way up to just before the 16km mark, the right hand up hill is a braking section heading to the left hander that leads to the final concrete much easier Carousel.
NOW at 17km mark, touch the brakes and peddle your way through the right hand turn until you can get full throttle as the track goes up hill toward the first overpass at the beginning of the straight.
NOW flat out down the long straight. Drive on the left by the trees to avoid cross winds, then at the end move to the right tree line to avoid any cross winds there and under the bridge, downhill to the left.
In the down hill the car will pick up a couple fo miles per hour.
NOW the end is near. Deep dip at the bottom. Close to 190mph or more. the Lamborgini lifted at this point to avoid crashing his front splitter at the bottom.
but we will try to stay almost flat until we go up the hill, a left, right, left then hard brakes and a 3rd gear right, LEFT and the final RIGHT to cross the timing line. !!

I will have another 300 miles on the track before we try to hit a number. Stay tuned

NOTE. I will proof read this tomorrow. I think I did this from memory ......But I forgot. Just kidding,.

Lou G

** The pen notes on the map are for the P2 and P3 Porsche, the VIPer and the ZO6 times at the same spot for each car. We will do segment times when we practice to see where we are lacking.

The following 4 users liked this post by LG Motorsports:
360Lemans (08-30-2018), Basil2000 (08-30-2018), mat_haas (09-26-2018), racerns (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 09:26 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

I'm pretty sure if anyone ever wants to under the personality and traits that made Lou who he is, that thread up above says it all. F*ck yeah man...I love that you went all in and did the work....nothing new for you though, I'm sure.

Be honest though, some of us pushing the issue about the difficulties of Nurburgring pushed you a little extra, didn't it?? You're definitely a "I'll show YOU bastards"....lol. That's awesome man...you really went all in with this one, I JUST WISH YOU"D HAVE MADE AN AWESOME VIDEO OF THIS ENTIRE PROCESS...would've been SO worth it! All these trips you made, practice you've put in....what an awesome thing to have documented...it would've been a KILLER documentary to watch....damnit Lou.

Either way though, I can't wait...I hope you smash this deal.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:34 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

By the way, I read through your track notes there and have to say, that's pretty solid. I know the track in my sleep, don't have as many literal miles as you on track, but I've got prob 50k+ miles on sims. I'll enjoy watching your in-car when all is said and done.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:25 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Lou, what is the time (7:11.57) pictured in your track map associated with? The P2, P3, Viper and C7Z benchmarks indicate quite a comparative study of strength and weakness for each car. What was the prep for the C7Z benchmark time?
Old 08-30-2018, 11:08 AM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
I'm pretty sure if anyone ever wants to under the personality and traits that made Lou who he is, that thread up above says it all. F*ck yeah man...I love that you went all in and did the work....nothing new for you though, I'm sure.

Be honest though, some of us pushing the issue about the difficulties of Nurburgring pushed you a little extra, didn't it?? You're definitely a "I'll show YOU bastards"....lol. That's awesome man...you really went all in with this one, I JUST WISH YOU"D HAVE MADE AN AWESOME VIDEO OF THIS ENTIRE PROCESS...would've been SO worth it! All these trips you made, practice you've put in....what an awesome thing to have documented...it would've been a KILLER documentary to watch....damnit Lou.

Either way though, I can't wait...I hope you smash this deal.
You are correct. Say I can not and I WILL. so thanks for making me want to do it more than any sane man should. It is a great track, very different from any track in the US. Real mountain roads that double as a race track. I feel privileged to be doing this.

We will be video taping the arrival of the car and I will document which cars I tested with working to get track knowledge. I also have some German people to thank for their help to know the quirks of this track. Patrick Prill was a great help as was the APEX Nurburg group. Apex is where the car will be delivered to within the next 2 weeks.

I might fly over again early to do some "Tourist Days" just to get the car dialed in early. We also have a set of Bilstein Shocks made special for the unusual bumps at the Ring. Bilstein Germany and their local knowledge helped us with the shock valving. Who could ask for more.

NOW, I need to find the limit of our Corvette. Big Down Force plus big HP will also need BIG *****. I was given a pair of socks over there. YES socks. They were labeled so you would know left from the right sock. One said, "Brake Late", and the other said, "Never Lift"

Thanks again for the challenge. I hope I can get it done!!

Lou G

Here is a video that shows what a manual transmission lap will involve. He did a good job on this lap.

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 08-30-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:37 AM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Lou, what is the time (7:11.57) pictured in your track map associated with? The P2, P3, Viper and C7Z benchmarks indicate quite a comparative study of strength and weakness for each car. What was the prep for the C7Z benchmark time?
I am not sure, I can not read German but it was from a car that did that time, showing the speeds in each area. The P2, P3, Viper and C7Z segment times are very good to see where each car excelled. Since a stock no aero Corvette C7 with an experience driver could only do a 7:13, my car has to be about 1 second per Mile faster than the Stock Corvette.
In our testing on a 1.6 mile track, we do a fast time of 1.18.5 or so and with our NBR car I did a 1:15.7 or about 1.9 second per mile, so we think we can get 1 second per mile with our car over a stock C7 Z06. And using the Viper as a base line, we feel that we can match that also.

No bench racing will figure this out. Only on track at the Ring will get a time that we will record on video with the timer embedded in the video

Stay tuned
NemesisC5 (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 02:53 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

I am not sure, I can not read German but it was from a car that did that time, showing the speeds in each area. The P2, P3, Viper and C7Z segment times are very good to see where each car excelled. Since a stock no aero Corvette C7 with an experience driver could only do a 7:13, my car has to be about 1 second per Mile faster than the Stock Corvette.
In our testing on a 1.6 mile track, we do a fast time of 1.18.5 or so and with our NBR car I did a 1:15.7 or about 1.9 second per mile, so we think we can get 1 second per mile with our car over a stock C7 Z06. And using the Viper as a base line, we feel that we can match that also.

No bench racing will figure this out. Only on track at the Ring will get a time that we will record on video with the timer embedded in the video

Stay tuned

It will be no trouble getting under the 7:00 minute mark...maybe closer to 6:55 or so. That Z06 that the magazine did the Ring run with was the fastest Ring run in the world for a production car without a wing. No other production car has gone faster than 7:18 at the Ring without utilizing a rear wing.

That is how important a wing is to the handling of the car under these conditions. So with the better aero you have on the front plus the must have rear wing, you'll have no problem getting the times very low.

Your only challenges will be the weather (gotta be dry) and if the tires can make it a full hot lap without going "Kumho" on you. This should be exciting to watch.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:39 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by TrackAire
It will be no trouble getting under the 7:00 minute mark...maybe closer to 6:55 or so. That Z06 that the magazine did the Ring run with was the fastest Ring run in the world for a production car without a wing. No other production car has gone faster than 7:18 at the Ring without utilizing a rear wing.

That is how important a wing is to the handling of the car under these conditions. So with the better aero you have on the front plus the must have rear wing, you'll have no problem getting the times very low.

Your only challenges will be the weather (gotta be dry) and if the tires can make it a full hot lap without going "Kumho" on you. This should be exciting to watch.
<<---No trouble?? Really? Must be easy right?

Well, there is no magic bullet and especially in just one part. IT is always more than just a rear wing that completes the formula and the total ingredients to make a lap that fast. So far the ZR1 has not hit below a 7:30 << update, 7:12

A Mclaren runs faster with no wing, just a spoiler. there are so many factors that come into play that no one part or factor is the answer.

But you are correct it will be interesting and exciting to watch. Here is a write up from the ZR1 at the ring --- "
The Corvette ZR1, meanwhile, was less successful. The 755-hp (563-kW) supercar reportedly sprinted around the ‘Ring at over seven minutes; bystanders clocked the car at 7 minutes 12 seconds, marking only a slight improvement over the Z06’s 7-minute 19-second run in 2016. As a reference, the Viper ACR did the same lap in 7 minutes 1.3 seconds, the fastest time for an American production car."

Whatever our time is will be the "LG Motorsports Nurburgring Chassis #002 - American Production Car "

LG

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 08-30-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:48 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Stay tuned
A few remarks from me.
1. sport Auto did 7.13 in a customer Z06, normally Sport Auto is 6-7 sec slower than factory reported times.
2. Porsche GT2 RS "only" managed a 7.03 on CUP 2 tires, their track record was set on a new tire that ONLY Porsche has for now. Called CUP 2 R.
3. i know for a fact that early testing with Z06, pre release test Oliver did under 7 min ..... :-)

So i think that Lou if he can extract every corner in a car with no power loss and good tires can probably give Porsche a run for their money, but i think he needs a CUP2 R to go faster....

But best of luck and i will see you there Lou...
I have track days 27/28 sept and will travel down the week before for VLN race and see your event with Hanseat Scuderia

Edit: Forgot, Sport Auto did test the GT2 RS and managed a 7.03 sec ???? thats 16 sec slower than factory time....

Last edited by Z06Norway; 08-30-2018 at 03:49 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Nurburgring update

Old 08-30-2018, 04:14 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
A few remarks from me.
1. sport Auto did 7.13 in a customer Z06, normally Sport Auto is 6-7 sec slower than factory reported times.
2. Porsche GT2 RS "only" managed a 7.03 on CUP 2 tires, their track record was set on a new tire that ONLY Porsche has for now. Called CUP 2 R.
3. i know for a fact that early testing with Z06, pre release test Oliver did under 7 min ..... :-)

So i think that Lou if he can extract every corner in a car with no power loss and good tires can probably give Porsche a run for their money, but i think he needs a CUP2 R to go faster....

But best of luck and i will see you there Lou...
I have track days 27/28 sept and will travel down the week before for VLN race and see your event with Hanseat Scuderia

Edit: Forgot, Sport Auto did test the GT2 RS and managed a 7.03 sec ???? thats 16 sec slower than factory time....
As far as I have been able to determine, so far, a "Ring Time" requires no engine teardown or ECM anyalysis, to confirm that it is a "showroom stock" car. It may be a game of who is the best at cheating. My tendency would be to suspect Porsche (Volkswagen) more, with all the court verdicts about the VW diesel cheating scandal.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 08-30-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Mikec7z (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 04:18 PM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

Great notes. I ran the track for a few laps last week and had done about 25 sim laps before. Agreed on all parts,

plan to take my C6 z07 out there next year. Much lower goal of a sub 8 Bridge to Gantry time.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:19 PM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
As far as I have been able to determine so far, a "Ring Time" requires no engine teardown or ECM anyalysis, to confirm that it is a "showroom floor stock" car. It may be a game of who can cheat the best.
this is correct. There is no sanctioning body. It’s just assumed that video will be shared to prove the PR.

Quick Reply: Nurburgring update