C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Nurburgring update

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 03:03 PM
MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 126 Posts

That was painful to watch them unload your car. You may want to bring a spare clutch, holy shat!!!

Hey Lou I noticed you brought your scales with you. Whats your wheel weights / set up for the ring?

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Here is the video of the arrival. Notice how they tease us for being prepared. No worries, and the comments are still claiming that the Nurburgring is a mountain too high for mere mortals.
time will tells
Also, notice that we will be running on Pirelli Trofeo R tires but we are just rolling around on OEM tires

https://youtu.be/hdnlcIPSzbs

Last edited by MustOBeenYellow2015Z; 09-22-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:31 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by MustOBeenYellow2015Z
That was painful to watch them unload your car. You may want to bring a spare clutch, holy shat!!!

Hey Lou I noticed you brought your scales with you. Whats your wheel weights / set up for the ring?
Yes it was painful to watch the clutch I think he was trying to move around in third gear but we’ll see when I get there if there’s anything wrong with the clutch.
corner weights are the same For any track that we run - we try to make Our cross weights 50-50. Everything else on the chassis is our LG products from spherical bearings to drop spindles Bilstein coil over package, front and rear bump steer kits and our best Aero package
Of course this will not be easy but I can assure you no one else will drive the car. Go ahead on driverdb.com and look up Lance David Arnold and you will see he has had 193 races in his lifetime and he’s only won 8 races and he’s never won a race at Nurburgring. Yes He got three second places and three 3rd places but no wins at the ring? And don’t forget he’s the one that crashed the Viper. NoW, aside from that I’m sure he’s a good driver. And while you’re on that driver database go ahead and look me up too.
Having said all that anything can happen in the track like the Nurburgring. We will not have the advantage of having the track all to ourself so we are going to have to do Our best time with other cars on the track because it cost somewhere the neighborhood of $30,000 just to rent the track for one hour. So we’re just going to keep track our time on video and see where we end up
stay tuned and thanks!

Lou Gigliotti.
The following users liked this post:
mat_haas (09-24-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 04:48 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Have fun and be.safe!! That "track" which is really a Toll Road, is very unforgiving. I certainly hope that the Toll Men can pause entry for 10 minutes, just long enough for most traffic to clear the road before you enter so you have zero vehicles ahead of you.

Can't wait to see your video!!
LG Motorsports (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 10:09 AM
traind
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 159 Posts

Yes it was painful to watch the clutch I think he was trying to move around in third gear but we’ll see when I get there if there’s anything wrong with the clutch.
corner weights are the same For any track that we run - we try to make Our cross weights 50-50. Everything else on the chassis is our LG products from spherical bearings to drop spindles Bilstein coil over package, front and rear bump steer kits and our best Aero package
Of course this will not be easy but I can assure you no one else will drive the car. Go ahead on driverdb.com and look up Lance David Arnold and you will see he has had 193 races in his lifetime and he’s only won 8 races and he’s never won a race at Nurburgring. Yes He got three second places and three 3rd places but no wins at the ring? And don’t forget he’s the one that crashed the Viper. NoW, aside from that I’m sure he’s a good driver. And while you’re on that driver database go ahead and look me up too.
Having said all that anything can happen in the track like the Nurburgring. We will not have the advantage of having the track all to ourself so we are going to have to do Our best time with other cars on the track because it cost somewhere the neighborhood of $30,000 just to rent the track for one hour. So we’re just going to keep track our time on video and see where we end up
stay tuned and thanks!

Lou Gigliotti.
Lou we all wish you the best of success! On many levels this endeavor is very cool and inspiring.

if I had your talent and record, there'd be no way someone else would be driving that car in Germany. So I completely agree with you there.

That being said, I do think you were being a little harsh on Lance. While it is true he does not have the racing pedigree that you do, I look at his record a bit differently. I think his record shows his strength at the ring. He has done very well at that track and from a quick glance at the database you mentioned, he has no doubt out-performed while racing at the ring. It is no doubt indicative of extra-time having been spent at that track versus the typical professional driver that has allowed him to do so well there. I really know nothing about him crashing the Viper so I can't comment on that.

Anyway, our driving enthusiasm is with you on this journey! Thanks for keeping us posted, be safe and have a fantastic time.

Last edited by traind; 09-23-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:20 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by traind
Lou we all wish you the best of success! On many levels this endeavor is very cool and inspiring.

if I had your talent and record, there'd be no way someone else would be driving that car in Germany. So I completely agree with you there.

That being said, I do think you were being a little harsh on Lance. While it is true he does not have the racing pedigree that you do, I look at his record a bit differently. I think his record shows his strength at the ring. He has done very well at that track and from a quick glance at the database you mentioned, he has no doubt out-performed while racing at the ring. It is no doubt indicative of extra-time having been spent at that track versus the typical professional driver that has allowed him to do so well there. I really know nothing about him crashing the Viper so I can't comment on that.

Anyway, our driving enthusiasm is with you on this journey! Thanks for keeping us posted, be safe and have a fantastic time.

Here is the deal---read back in this thread and I would say that many of the comments. especially the European Corvette Forum members, have been pretty hard on ME. So be it.

It is what it is. This track is nothing special once you get time on it. and yes there are 4 places that require more guts than brains for sure. No, I don't have four 24 hour races on it but each driver gets about 600 miles during a 24 hour race there. So far, I have 720 miles so it is like I ran a single 24 hour race.

Now, look that this thread. I have had to constantly listen to people tell me to get a "Real Nurburgring Driver"??? As if I would actually allow anyone in this car.

I did say that Lance has some talent, no one races at that level with no talent. But on the other hand, this track is nothing more than just another track that is 4 times as long as normal circuits. In the World Challenge series, when we went to new tracks, I had the best record on "New Tracks".

I also said when I am done learning and figuring out this track, it will be ME who will be the "Ring Expert". ------ or NOT. who knows --- but to tell a driver with a life time of successful results that he needs to get another driver with a short resume to drive his car is something that drivers do not concede to.

I will get the result that I will get, nothing more and nothing less ----- but they will be MY results. I have run 241 Pro races only with 32 wins, 8 times either a champion or runner up in the championship.
The database on Poles is wrong, because I have 25 poles in just World Challenge series.
And in 2005, GM Racing had to beg me to let Ron Fellows pass me when I was leading at Mosport to help them with their Cadillac Manufactures championship.

So Like POPEYE use to say. "I am what I am and that's all that I am." But I will eat my Spinach when I am in Germany.

Thanks for the Confidence.

Lou Gigliotti

NOTE: What we don't have is any help from GM. Of course, if they didn't do it, it can't be done. We only have 5 Sets of Pirelli Trofeo R tires. I have to ration them. We have some spares but not enough if I wack the wall. No one said this will be easy but it will be our LG Motorsports effort against all odds.
Ciao

The following 8 users liked this post by LG Motorsports:
4turbos (09-23-2018), BillY2KFRC (09-24-2018), Fastmikefree (09-26-2018), jbsblownc5 (09-23-2018), jloZ06 (09-29-2018), John Micheal Henry (09-29-2018), pjazz (09-24-2018), Z06Norway (09-23-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-23-2018, 04:16 PM
4turbos
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

how bout we step up and crowd fund an hour of track time for Lou/don't need a idiot in front of him doing something stupid
Old 09-23-2018, 04:29 PM
Connman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

What a massive ego. "This track is nothing special"...?
Old 09-23-2018, 04:41 PM
MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 4turbos
how bout we step up and crowd fund an hour of track time for Lou/don't need a idiot in front of him doing something stupid
-I'd chip in!

Old 09-23-2018, 06:51 PM
traind
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Connman
well, you need ego to be competitive at the pointy end of any sport. And Lou was compettive with anyone in a GT car.

And the ring is a big challenge but a pro is going to see it as a track... a bit hairier but still just a track. When Jackie coined it the green hell he was driving a 1200 pound formula 1 car with 450 hp, no safety systems, no downforce and 1960s era tires and brakes. And there were no or few guardrails. I am sure any modern driver would feel the same way if they drove in the 60s.

Today, in a modern track prepped car, it just isn't the same degree of challenge or danger. Not even close. To get that danger you have to look toward the Isle of Mann. But it still is one of the most demanding places to drive. A proper challenge in modern times.

There are a lot of "ifs" but I believe Lou is fully capable if they all line up for a clear, mechanically sound, rain free lap.

Last edited by traind; 09-23-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:57 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Dan Popp is one of the best drivers out there, period. Multiple national championships in all disciplines of racing and he is for hire!
Old 09-23-2018, 06:58 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

You got this Lou!
Old 09-23-2018, 07:39 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Connman
Connman, I'm not getting your drift about ego. The only two things I see majorly different about Nurburgring are that it's so long, that it's harder to commit solidly to memory. And that it has so little runoff room, that even a minor excursion off the track is likely to cause so much damage to the car, that it won't be back on the track anytime soon.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 09-23-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:46 PM
LG Motorsports

this thread has gone off the deep end

Axelrod-This is a free country Danny Popp is free to race anywhere he wants and maybe you can pay for it. Nothing is stopping any of the Corvette drivers that are out there from doing what we are doing. GM won’t even do it.

Connman-Show me the driver who does not have a massive ego and I’ll show you the driver who’s not serious about racing or winning. And infact there really is nothing special about this track it’s just different and long —it requires track knowledge times 4 which is no different than any track around the country or the world just abnormally long. And it goes through the woods and up a mountain but asphalt is asphalt And every corner has its limit as does every car.

Note: i’m writing this post on the plane heading to Germany — talk is cheap.
The reality is that I might come back with egg on my face or a crashed car —but nothing ventured nothing gained .

LG.

Winner Long Beach TA

Winner Daytona 250.

Winner Mid Ohio

Winner sears point with Porsche factory driver Henzler behind

Out qual factory corvette team at 09 petit.

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 09-23-2018 at 08:10 PM.
jloZ06 (09-29-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 08:06 PM
MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Burning Brakes

this thread has gone off the deep end

Axelrod-This is a free country Danny Popp is free to race anywhere he wants and maybe you can pay for it. Nothing is stopping any of the Corvette drivers that are out there from doing what we are doing. GM won’t even do it.

Connman-Show me the driver who does not have a massive ego and I’ll show you the driver who’s not serious about racing or winning. And infact there really is nothing special about this track it’s just different and long —it requires track knowledge times 4 which is no different than any track around the country or the world just abnormally long. And it goes through the woods and up a mountain but asphalt is asphalt And every corner has its limit as does every car.

Note: i’m writing this post on the plane heading to Germany — talk is cheap.
The reality is that I might come back with egg on my face or a crashed car —but nothing ventured nothing gained .

LG.

Does your car have all the traction / stability control Lou or did you get rid of that shat? I really hope you get some video footage!
Old 09-23-2018, 08:13 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Does your car have all the traction / stability control Lou or did you get rid of that shat? I really hope you get some video footage!
It will be turned off
Also removed the magnetic shocks replaced them with bilstein 2 way adjustable.
and yes will have plenty of video
MustOBeenYellow2015Z (09-24-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 09:00 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
I saw the off-loading video of your car and it looked so good! Sounds even better!! It has your sequential transmission too. Love it!
I think it has a conventional transmission, not a sequential.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:59 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

It will be turned off
Also removed the magnetic shocks replaced them with bilstein 2 way adjustable.
and yes will have plenty of video
I don't think any car has come close to setting a Ring record using magnetic shocks........something to think about.

Get notified of new replies

To Nurburgring update

Old 09-23-2018, 10:23 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Best of luck out there Lou!!!
Old 09-24-2018, 03:03 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

If I were in your position, I'd do the same Lou....you did the work, built the company, have plenty of seat time...why let someone else have the fun. When this thread all started, I don't think anyone realized how far you'd go to prepare yourself for this, I know I didn't. If you were flying in there, first time, and expected to run a few practice laps then try to lay down best time, yes, I'd feel you left a lot on the table. At this point, I'm sure you have enough information to get close to the edge, and you've earned that right...no question. You put in a lot of effort, treated it as a challenge and whatever happens, happens. I commend you regardless of the outcome, but if you can get a clear track I feel your car probably has 6's in it for sure...just all comes down to Lou and the machine....

Good luck man....we're with ya!

Last edited by KnightDriveTV; 09-24-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Warp Factor (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 03:55 PM
mat_haas
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

in for the results!!
Very exciting Lou. Best of luck to you.

if anyone views confidence as an "ego problem", then it sucks to be them.
ignore those comments.
you don't accomplish anything by putting yourself down or feeling mediocre.
eye on the prize; the most successful people in the world have always believed in themselves.
(ok, i'm done inspiring here. haha)
4turbos (09-26-2018)

Quick Reply: Nurburgring update