C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Pilot Sport AS3+ ZP tires for the GS and Z06 ... dates

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 12:12 AM
rcgldr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyflyer
40 degrees + or - Fahrenheit, if you have the OEM tires on and you are in temperatures of this range remember weather mode is your friend. The OEM tires have very little grip in temperatures below the 40 degree threshold. The range for the A/S 3+ extends to well below freezing.
I was wondering more about the upper part of the temperature range where the MP AS3+ have better or at least the same grip as the MP SS, perhaps this might go up to somewhere between 50 and 60 degrees?
Old 03-14-2019, 04:29 AM
BubbaDuss
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulling out the thread defibrillator...

Any Florida guys switch to these and have info?

I'm swapping rims and tires due to crappy aftermarkets my vette had from previous owner. But the 500 wear rating and pricetag makes these appealing.

I live in south FL were we see less then 50 degrees for about a week. The rest of the year is between 80 and 100 degrees and it rains everyday at 4pm.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:30 AM
RedBaroness
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 58 Posts

I was at Daytona this year....if that counts :-)

A lot depends on what you want to do with the car. Quite a few of us who have them love how they deal with the rain. And it does rain a lot in FL. If you try to avoid the rain as much as possible, you won't find a great difference there. If you like the rain, these tires did fantastic if you remember how the weather was for the Rolex 24 IMSA race at Daytona this year--soaking wet! Never once felt like they were hydroplaning or that I didn't have great control. Not worn a set out so I can't comment how they feel at 50% or nearing replacement for the rain though.

If you mostly do nothing but cruising and are willing to give up ultimate grip for longer tread life, these are still run-flat. They will have more traction than the MPSS and Cup2 at temps near 50...at least until you can get the others warmed up well. I'll be swapping back and forth living up in the NC area....using the AS3+ in the cooler months so I can still enjoy the car without driving around on hockey puck hard tires and warmer months will still be my MPSS tires. Different wheels as well, so I have 2 different looks....

If you aren't buying a different set of wheels, I'd use up what you have reasonably before swapping the tires out though...where you live the difference wouldn't be the same as my swapping wheels seasonally.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:11 AM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
We received news from Michelin that they should be hitting our shelves 4-6-18.
Luke please tell Michelin to release the Cup 2R in Z06 sizes
Old 03-14-2019, 08:52 AM
Panth3r
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I just added AS/3s they are absolutely great in colder weather. I drove to work this am in 37F and my confidence level was the same as for a sunny hot day. Love them so far only had them a couple weeks.
The following users liked this post:
RedBaroness (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 09:05 AM
RedBaroness
Instructor

Originally Posted by Panth3r
I just added AS/3s they are absolutely great in colder weather. I drove to work this am in 37F and my confidence level was the same as for a sunny hot day. Love them so far only had them a couple weeks.
My best with them so far has been 17F and snow showers (no accumulation). Same thing. Love 'em for these cooler temps. And no hopping either in tight turns!
The following 2 users liked this post by RedBaroness:
Panth3r (03-14-2019), Ron_Attleboro_MA (03-18-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 09:24 AM
BubbaDuss
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedBaroness
I was at Daytona this year....if that counts :-)

A lot depends on what you want to do with the car. Quite a few of us who have them love how they deal with the rain. And it does rain a lot in FL. If you try to avoid the rain as much as possible, you won't find a great difference there. If you like the rain, these tires did fantastic if you remember how the weather was for the Rolex 24 IMSA race at Daytona this year--soaking wet! Never once felt like they were hydroplaning or that I didn't have great control. Not worn a set out so I can't comment how they feel at 50% or nearing replacement for the rain though.

If you mostly do nothing but cruising and are willing to give up ultimate grip for longer tread life, these are still run-flat. They will have more traction than the MPSS and Cup2 at temps near 50...at least until you can get the others warmed up well. I'll be swapping back and forth living up in the NC area....using the AS3+ in the cooler months so I can still enjoy the car without driving around on hockey puck hard tires and warmer months will still be my MPSS tires. Different wheels as well, so I have 2 different looks....

If you aren't buying a different set of wheels, I'd use up what you have reasonably before swapping the tires out though...where you live the difference wouldn't be the same as my swapping wheels seasonally.
Awesome input! Thank you
Have you done any "spirited" driving on warm/hot days and noticed severe driving concerns or only the expected loss in launch hookup?

I drive the vette usually during nice days and stick with the jeep for rain. But as you stated, south FL gets a lot of water and you can get caught in it at any time.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:41 AM
accely
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great results here. Iowa winter come and gone (hopefully) and I drove it through a variety of days including single digit temps, water, light snow, ice, etc. Did amazing. Warmer temps coming up and I'll be able to see how they are in summer but I do plan to keep them year round. I feel like the PSS's needed warming up even in summer around here and I never liked them that much. I love that the AS3+ is always ready to hook no matter the temp. I'm guessing the PSS will only shine a bit better than the AS3+ if we start comparing track ability which makes sense.
The following users liked this post:
Panth3r (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 10:27 AM
RedBaroness
Instructor

Originally Posted by BubbaDuss
Awesome input! Thank you
Have you done any "spirited" driving on warm/hot days and noticed severe driving concerns or only the expected loss in launch hookup?

I drive the vette usually during nice days and stick with the jeep for rain. But as you stated, south FL gets a lot of water and you can get caught in it at any time.
I really haven't had much in the way of "warm or hot" days since I've had the tires here in NC, but the very little I have, I didn't notice anything obvious. I don't do max power launches at every red light or stop sign though, however I do enjoy corners and full throttle acceleration. I'm used to a turbo car with lag and then slap you with power, so my throttle foot is calibrated somewhat for that in driving daily, so my foot doesn't "slam" the throttle down, it's an application that happens quickly, but smoothly. I have gotten the MPSS loose in the wet even doing that...and it was 40 degrees...and I was in wet mode. You'd have a harder time doing that with the AS3+ for sure. But no issues in the dry with full throttle with this technique with either set of tires.

I have intentionally tried after having the AS3+ warmed up to see and yes, I can get them loose similar to what the MPSS does in my limited experience with them. I didn't get much chance to try them on a warm day either as I took delivery of the car on the 2nd of November last year and didn't have it broken in until the day before Charity Laps at VIR, where yes, I got the MPSS loose on a damp track with cool tires and in the afternoon in mid-50s coming out of the pits onto the track. So I'm not entirely fully certain what the MPSS can do on a warm day...I just haven't had them through a warm season yet. I know even during break in I pulled nearly a G on an interstate on ramp with the MPSS and I've done the same with the AS3+ and not felt any less in control or closer to the edge. Exactly how much less warm traction there is then, I'm not sure. I know there is going to be less, but is it 10%? Or 15%? I just don't know yet with only 3300 miles on the car and nearly 2000 of that just break in and the interstate driving to and from Daytona...probably 1500 plus of that from the trip down there alone and 3 shorter road trips.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:53 PM
stevebullard
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They are offered a slightly larger size..doesnt effect anything.. 295-30-19 325-25-20.

Last edited by stevebullard; 03-18-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:40 PM
AZGASSER
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 211 Posts

Just got back from a 3000 mile road trip with them. Weather from 35deg up to the 80s. They handled great. Now have over 850whp and from a 50mph roll, they held up. So glad to have a runflat as about 5hrs from home the TPMS light came on. No visible puncture but was able to add air a couple of times to get home safely. Think is is the valve stem but it is being checked out. Will alway to a runflat on these long trips. Trying to get a repair/replacement in eastern OK on a Sunday night would not be fun.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:50 PM
DomLS3
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 116 Posts

How is the grip on these compared to PSS?
Old 03-19-2019, 02:53 PM
AZGASSER
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 211 Posts

The grip is there on a roll but not from a stop. It wasnt there with the PSS either with 700hp. Now as we were going through the mountains/canyon highways in NE AZ they stuck well. I wasnt racing for time but even over 80mph they held just fine. I will be using them from Nov to Mar as the new rSSSrs are a warm weather tire.

Quick Reply: Pilot Sport AS3+ ZP tires for the GS and Z06 ... dates