Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pilot Sport AS3+ ZP tires for the GS and Z06 ... dates

Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pilot Sport AS3+ ZP tires for the GS and Z06 ... dates

 
Old 11-26-2018, 12:12 AM
  #181  
rcgldr
CF Senior Member
 
rcgldr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2018
Posts: 182
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kyflyer View Post
40 degrees + or - Fahrenheit, if you have the OEM tires on and you are in temperatures of this range remember weather mode is your friend. The OEM tires have very little grip in temperatures below the 40 degree threshold. The range for the A/S 3+ extends to well below freezing.
I was wondering more about the upper part of the temperature range where the MP AS3+ have better or at least the same grip as the MP SS, perhaps this might go up to somewhere between 50 and 60 degrees?
rcgldr is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 04:29 AM
  #182  
BubbaDuss
CF Senior Member
 
BubbaDuss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Location: Coral Springs Florida
Posts: 824
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Pulling out the thread defibrillator...

Any Florida guys switch to these and have info?

I'm swapping rims and tires due to crappy aftermarkets my vette had from previous owner. But the 500 wear rating and pricetag makes these appealing.

I live in south FL were we see less then 50 degrees for about a week. The rest of the year is between 80 and 100 degrees and it rains everyday at 4pm.
BubbaDuss is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 07:30 AM
  #183  
RedBaroness
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2018
Posts: 161
Thanked 65 Times in 40 Posts
Default

I was at Daytona this year....if that counts :-)

A lot depends on what you want to do with the car. Quite a few of us who have them love how they deal with the rain. And it does rain a lot in FL. If you try to avoid the rain as much as possible, you won't find a great difference there. If you like the rain, these tires did fantastic if you remember how the weather was for the Rolex 24 IMSA race at Daytona this year--soaking wet! Never once felt like they were hydroplaning or that I didn't have great control. Not worn a set out so I can't comment how they feel at 50% or nearing replacement for the rain though.

If you mostly do nothing but cruising and are willing to give up ultimate grip for longer tread life, these are still run-flat. They will have more traction than the MPSS and Cup2 at temps near 50...at least until you can get the others warmed up well. I'll be swapping back and forth living up in the NC area....using the AS3+ in the cooler months so I can still enjoy the car without driving around on hockey puck hard tires and warmer months will still be my MPSS tires. Different wheels as well, so I have 2 different looks....

If you aren't buying a different set of wheels, I'd use up what you have reasonably before swapping the tires out though...where you live the difference wouldn't be the same as my swapping wheels seasonally.
RedBaroness is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 08:11 AM
  #184  
Monkey D. Luffy
CF Senior Member
 
Monkey D. Luffy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: Powder Springs GA
Posts: 10,329
Thanked 270 Times in 190 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
We received news from Michelin that they should be hitting our shelves 4-6-18.
Luke please tell Michelin to release the Cup 2R in Z06 sizes
Monkey D. Luffy is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 08:52 AM
  #185  
Panth3r
CF Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2018
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 84
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

I just added AS/3s they are absolutely great in colder weather. I drove to work this am in 37F and my confidence level was the same as for a sunny hot day. Love them so far only had them a couple weeks.
Panth3r is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Panth3r For This Useful Post:
RedBaroness (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 09:05 AM
  #186  
RedBaroness
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2018
Posts: 161
Thanked 65 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Panth3r View Post
I just added AS/3s they are absolutely great in colder weather. I drove to work this am in 37F and my confidence level was the same as for a sunny hot day. Love them so far only had them a couple weeks.
My best with them so far has been 17F and snow showers (no accumulation). Same thing. Love 'em for these cooler temps. And no hopping either in tight turns!
RedBaroness is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedBaroness For This Useful Post:
Panth3r (03-14-2019), Ron_Attleboro_MA (03-18-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 09:24 AM
  #187  
BubbaDuss
CF Senior Member
 
BubbaDuss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Location: Coral Springs Florida
Posts: 824
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RedBaroness View Post
I was at Daytona this year....if that counts :-)

A lot depends on what you want to do with the car. Quite a few of us who have them love how they deal with the rain. And it does rain a lot in FL. If you try to avoid the rain as much as possible, you won't find a great difference there. If you like the rain, these tires did fantastic if you remember how the weather was for the Rolex 24 IMSA race at Daytona this year--soaking wet! Never once felt like they were hydroplaning or that I didn't have great control. Not worn a set out so I can't comment how they feel at 50% or nearing replacement for the rain though.

If you mostly do nothing but cruising and are willing to give up ultimate grip for longer tread life, these are still run-flat. They will have more traction than the MPSS and Cup2 at temps near 50...at least until you can get the others warmed up well. I'll be swapping back and forth living up in the NC area....using the AS3+ in the cooler months so I can still enjoy the car without driving around on hockey puck hard tires and warmer months will still be my MPSS tires. Different wheels as well, so I have 2 different looks....

If you aren't buying a different set of wheels, I'd use up what you have reasonably before swapping the tires out though...where you live the difference wouldn't be the same as my swapping wheels seasonally.
Awesome input! Thank you
Have you done any "spirited" driving on warm/hot days and noticed severe driving concerns or only the expected loss in launch hookup?

I drive the vette usually during nice days and stick with the jeep for rain. But as you stated, south FL gets a lot of water and you can get caught in it at any time.
BubbaDuss is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 09:41 AM
  #188  
accely
CF Member
 
accely's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Location: IA
Posts: 61
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Great results here. Iowa winter come and gone (hopefully) and I drove it through a variety of days including single digit temps, water, light snow, ice, etc. Did amazing. Warmer temps coming up and I'll be able to see how they are in summer but I do plan to keep them year round. I feel like the PSS's needed warming up even in summer around here and I never liked them that much. I love that the AS3+ is always ready to hook no matter the temp. I'm guessing the PSS will only shine a bit better than the AS3+ if we start comparing track ability which makes sense.
accely is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to accely For This Useful Post:
Panth3r (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 10:27 AM
  #189  
RedBaroness
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2018
Posts: 161
Thanked 65 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BubbaDuss View Post
Awesome input! Thank you
Have you done any "spirited" driving on warm/hot days and noticed severe driving concerns or only the expected loss in launch hookup?

I drive the vette usually during nice days and stick with the jeep for rain. But as you stated, south FL gets a lot of water and you can get caught in it at any time.
I really haven't had much in the way of "warm or hot" days since I've had the tires here in NC, but the very little I have, I didn't notice anything obvious. I don't do max power launches at every red light or stop sign though, however I do enjoy corners and full throttle acceleration. I'm used to a turbo car with lag and then slap you with power, so my throttle foot is calibrated somewhat for that in driving daily, so my foot doesn't "slam" the throttle down, it's an application that happens quickly, but smoothly. I have gotten the MPSS loose in the wet even doing that...and it was 40 degrees...and I was in wet mode. You'd have a harder time doing that with the AS3+ for sure. But no issues in the dry with full throttle with this technique with either set of tires.

I have intentionally tried after having the AS3+ warmed up to see and yes, I can get them loose similar to what the MPSS does in my limited experience with them. I didn't get much chance to try them on a warm day either as I took delivery of the car on the 2nd of November last year and didn't have it broken in until the day before Charity Laps at VIR, where yes, I got the MPSS loose on a damp track with cool tires and in the afternoon in mid-50s coming out of the pits onto the track. So I'm not entirely fully certain what the MPSS can do on a warm day...I just haven't had them through a warm season yet. I know even during break in I pulled nearly a G on an interstate on ramp with the MPSS and I've done the same with the AS3+ and not felt any less in control or closer to the edge. Exactly how much less warm traction there is then, I'm not sure. I know there is going to be less, but is it 10%? Or 15%? I just don't know yet with only 3300 miles on the car and nearly 2000 of that just break in and the interstate driving to and from Daytona...probably 1500 plus of that from the trip down there alone and 3 shorter road trips.
RedBaroness is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 07:53 PM
  #190  
stevebullard
CF Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Posts: 52
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

They are offered a slightly larger size..doesnt effect anything.. 295-30-19 325-25-20.

Last edited by stevebullard; 03-18-2019 at 07:57 PM.
stevebullard is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 02:40 PM
  #191  
AZGASSER
CF Senior Member
 
AZGASSER's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,311
Thanked 174 Times in 137 Posts
Default

Just got back from a 3000 mile road trip with them. Weather from 35deg up to the 80s. They handled great. Now have over 850whp and from a 50mph roll, they held up. So glad to have a runflat as about 5hrs from home the TPMS light came on. No visible puncture but was able to add air a couple of times to get home safely. Think is is the valve stem but it is being checked out. Will alway to a runflat on these long trips. Trying to get a repair/replacement in eastern OK on a Sunday night would not be fun.
AZGASSER is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 02:50 PM
  #192  
djpelosi
CF Senior Member
 
djpelosi's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Location: Memphis Tennessee
Posts: 320
Thanks: 0
Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Default

How is the grip on these compared to PSS?
djpelosi is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 02:53 PM
  #193  
AZGASSER
CF Senior Member
 
AZGASSER's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,311
Thanked 174 Times in 137 Posts
Default

The grip is there on a roll but not from a stop. It wasnt there with the PSS either with 700hp. Now as we were going through the mountains/canyon highways in NE AZ they stuck well. I wasnt racing for time but even over 80mph they held just fine. I will be using them from Nov to Mar as the new rSSSrs are a warm weather tire.
AZGASSER is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pilot Sport AS3+ ZP tires for the GS and Z06 ... dates


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: