C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Undertray Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 07:33 PM
Harris
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Undertray Question

I have a stage 2 splitter on order. Is it necessary to add the undertray? If so is it in addition to the panel above the stock splitter that is basically under the radiator?

Thanks,
Gary
Old 03-15-2018, 12:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I have only been under my Stage 3 car which comes with the Stage 2 splitter installed from the factory (Stage 2 end caps are installed at the dealership or by the Customer). My under tray covers a large part of the bottom of the front of the car. It is below the splitter and fastened to it with 22 or 24 small screws. It also seems to reinforce the splitter, especially in those situations where the splitter is dragging on the ground entering a driveway. The dragging tends to push the edge of the splitter down and backward and the undertray fastened to the edge resists that motion.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Harris (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 12:53 PM
SLEEKVET
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 152 Posts

As Bill stated the undertray is used to reinforce the splitter. I recently put a Stage 2 splitter on my car without the undertray. I have not had any issues as it is a ridged splitter however you will have to be careful with driveways, curbs, etc. I replaced the Stage 1 splitter that does not have an undertray and the Stage 2 fits in the same holes, no real impact to the radiator in my opinion. That said, I would install the undertray to support the spltter. It is more of a gamble the car scraping without it, as in my case. I may purchase one in the future.

Last edited by SLEEKVET; 03-15-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Harris (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 01:01 PM
kosst
Cruising

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

When I installed mine I had to remove a large piece that some call the stage 1 undertray, it has a rubber flap hanging down. I installed the GM stage 2-3 undertray ($100+ approx) which does indeed bolt to the front splitter. The instructions are not very clear, pictures only. Cosmetically, it seems like you could get away with not installing the undertray, but it seems like you would be missing a big chunk of what makes it "aero" as it makes the whole bottom part flat. Also, acs told me they have a beefier one that they believe to be superior to the OEM one. The GM one is not very ridged, tho I don't know what benefits come with a stiffer tray. There are a number of threads about this but it did take some digging to piece together the info. HTH

PS if you do remove the old one, I strongly recommend removing the metal clips that hold the screws on as GM privded new ones which might hold the screws better.
Harris (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 01:56 PM
Harris
Racer

Thanks, guys. This is a big help!

Gary
Old 03-15-2018, 08:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I was under the car today and took a look at the undertray. The undertray bolts to the splitter and to the cross bar below the radiator. There is a large flap that bolts to the cross bar and and to the cradle. The splitter is above that large flap which only covers the center portion.

Bill
Old 03-15-2018, 08:32 PM
Harris
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I was under the car today and took a look at the undertray. The undertray bolts to the splitter and to the cross bar below the radiator. There is a large flap that bolts to the cross bar and and to the cradle. The splitter is above that large flap which only covers the center portion.

Bill
Great! Thanks Bill, I appreciate this and all of the help you provide for us.

Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Undertray Question

Quick Reply: Undertray Question