C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Help Neeed: Car acting up on dyno (intake, ptb, xpipe, exhaust, stock tune)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 05:40 PM
Blurspeed
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Help Neeed: Car acting up on dyno (intake, ptb, xpipe, exhaust, stock tune)

Hello everyone!!! I知 so sad. Super sad. Took my 2016 Z06 with only 4K miles to the race shop here in Hawaii to get my Injen Technology intake installed and then throw on the dyno to see what kind of power putting down. Already had Katech ported throttle body, Borla X pipe and Magnaflow exhaust installed. Doing warranty friendly mods so stock tune. Always use 92 Shell gas and sometimes octane booster such as Torco/Lucas. Used Torco today so should have been running close to 100 octane. During the first pull they found something wrong. In the upper rpm痴 it stuttered and kept dipping like crazy. Something is definitely wrong. The pull was only like 520hp/575tq which is super low for even a stock C7Z. The shop thinks it may be the plugs so on 7 Apr I made another appointment with them to put new plugs in. Hopefully that fixes the issue. If not might have to go back to the BMS drop in filter. If it still is acting up then I may need to go back to stock so could bring it in for work under warranty , but hopefully doesn稚 come to that. What do you guys think it could be? I致e heard some folks here say that they ran these mods on stock tune with no issues? Others said it was too much and caused some lean conditions and need a tune. Should I just go back to the BMS drop in filter? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Old 03-17-2018, 08:43 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Blurspeed
Hello everyone!!! I知 so sad. Super sad. Took my 2016 Z06 with only 4K miles to the race shop here in Hawaii to get my Injen Technology intake installed and then throw on the dyno to see what kind of power putting down. Already had Katech ported throttle body, Borla X pipe and Magnaflow exhaust installed. Doing warranty friendly mods so stock tune. Always use 92 Shell gas and sometimes octane booster such as Torco/Lucas. Used Torco today so should have been running close to 100 octane. During the first pull they found something wrong. In the upper rpm痴 it stuttered and kept dipping like crazy. Something is definitely wrong. The pull was only like 520hp/575tq which is super low for even a stock C7Z. The shop thinks it may be the plugs so on 7 Apr I made another appointment with them to put new plugs in. Hopefully that fixes the issue. If not might have to go back to the BMS drop in filter. If it still is acting up then I may need to go back to stock so could bring it in for work under warranty , but hopefully doesn稚 come to that. What do you guys think it could be? I致e heard some folks here say that they ran these mods on stock tune with no issues? Others said it was too much and caused some lean conditions and need a tune. Should I just go back to the BMS drop in filter? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Why would it have to go back to stock if these are warranty friendly mods?
Old 03-17-2018, 09:26 PM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

So did the tuner log it during the run? The data logs should tell exactly what was wrong.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:46 PM
Blurspeed
Instructor

Originally Posted by jaden61
Why would it have to go back to stock if these are warranty friendly mods?
Just to be on the safe side. They could potentially say the ptb, intake, x pipe or exhaust is what causing the problem.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:47 PM
Blurspeed
Instructor

He didn稚. Not sure why he didn稚 today, but he said Next time he値l hook it up so that he could check all the data.

Originally Posted by dollarbill
So did the tuner log it during the run? The data logs should tell exactly what was wrong.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:09 PM
Ltrain925
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Take your ported TB off and put your stock one back on, re-test. I had literally exactly same issues with my car same mods took my ported TB off and issues went away, you need a tune when running those mods all togeather.

from 1k-6k rpm my car ran perfect once it hit over 6k it started backfiring and struggling to get to 6500 I壇 throw a CEL ever now and then also. A TB is like a 5 minutes job to see if it makes a difference going back to stock, I would definitely start with that and see what happens.

Last edited by Ltrain925; 03-17-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:41 AM
Blurspeed
Instructor

Interesting. Thank you!! So I could leave the intake, x pipe and exhaust but just take off the ported throttle body? Ok I値l let the shop know that also. If it wasn稚 the spark plugs like he thinks then my recommendation was to just throw the BMS drop in filter back in and see if it works. But if I could leave intake I壇 rather have that on and take off the ptb.

Originally Posted by Ltrain925
Take your ported TB off and put your stock one back on, re-test. I had literally exactly same issues with my car same mods took my ported TB off and issues went away, you need a tune when running those mods all togeather.

from 1k-6k rpm my car ran perfect once it hit over 6k it started backfiring and struggling to get to 6500 I壇 throw a CEL ever now and then also. A TB is like a 5 minutes job to see if it makes a difference going back to stock, I would definitely start with that and see what happens.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:18 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

I don't think it's the plugs with only 4,000 miles, they are good plugs from the factory.

I would remove 'that' intake (that's when the problem started, right?) and go back to stock/BMS filter myself 'first' because the computer is calibrated for the OEM size tubing, air box, MAF sensor placement, etc. Then I would try switching the ported throttle body out. However you can try it anyway you like.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 03-18-2018 at 01:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
The Rock1 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 02:02 AM
Blurspeed
Instructor

Yeah I don稚 think it痴 the plugs either, but I guess never know. A guy on IG said he had to re gap his and they were fairly new. I honestly don稚 know when the problem started. I can稚 even tell there is a problem now. Crazy. Hope it痴 nothing serious

QUOTE=C7/Z06 Man;1596806177]I don't think it's the plugs with only 4,000 miles, they are good plugs from the factory.

I would remove 'that' intake (that's when the problem started, right?) and go back to stock/BMS filter myself 'first' because the computer is calibrated for the OEM size tubing, air box, MAF sensor placement, etc. Then I would try switching the ported throttle body out. However you can try it anyway you like. [/QUOTE]
Old 03-18-2018, 02:29 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

If you can't tell if you have a problem now the computer may have made some adjustments for that intake. If I remember correctly GM builds in a 25% +/- AFR adjustment capability. That way the cars run fine year round in Alaska or Arizona.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:07 AM
Blurspeed
Instructor

Yeah driving it I can稚 tell any problem but on the dyno is where the problem occurred. In the high rpm痴 he said it stuttered and showed me the dyno graph where it dipped over and over like crazy. Hopefully it痴 nothing serious. If not the plugs then I値l try to put the stock throttle body back on or BMS drop in filter.

QUOTE=C7/Z06 Man;1596806301]If you can't tell if you have a problem now the computer may have made some adjustments for that intake. If I remember correctly GM builds in a 25% +/- AFR adjustment capability. That way the cars run fine year round in Alaska or Arizona. [/QUOTE]
Old 03-18-2018, 08:45 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

fuel trims don't apply to WOT, only part throttle and a dyno pull isn't done at part throttle.

injen intake? aren't those for civics? that's the first thing I would remove.

how hot were the intake temps and coolant temps when you made your pull? there have been plenty of Z's dyno in the 550 range or maybe a bit less. if there was some temp then the ECM could easily have been removing spark lead and killing HP. did they do a log for you? what was the timing, IAT temp, ECT temp, etc?

just the fact they recommended spark plugs on a 4k mile car makes me raise my eyebrows. the dyno pull is the new oil change, lol....just get it on the rack and sell something.
The following users liked this post:
The Rock1 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 10:26 AM
Cercone
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

I壇 remove the intake, change back to stock and find a new tuner who will Log your pull. Ridiculous he didn稚 log your dyno, even if you didn稚 get a tune with those mods you want to know the details.

Last edited by Cercone; 03-18-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:07 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Worst dyno thread ever.

no baseline
no log
no troubleshooting
Old 03-18-2018, 12:16 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Default Would like to know.

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
fuel trims don't apply to WOT, only part throttle and a dyno pull isn't done at part throttle.

how hot were the intake temps and coolant temps when you made your pull? there have been plenty of Z's dyno in the 550 range or maybe a bit less. if there was some temp then the ECM could easily have been removing spark lead and killing HP. did they do a log for you? what was the timing, IAT temp, ECT temp, etc?

just the fact they recommended spark plugs on a 4k mile car makes me raise my eyebrows. the dyno pull is the new oil change, lol....just get it on the rack and sell something.
My understanding about the GM fuel trims is that they don't apply like you said to WOT/Open Loop; unless the car is "adding" fuel to part throttle, than that amount/+ % will be added/carried over to WOT.

Blurspeed: I would check the 'plug wires' to make sure they are secure at both ends.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 03-18-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:59 PM
Blurspeed
Instructor

I致e always had great success with Injen so didn稚 mind saving a little money vs Haltech or AFE. I don稚 have any data because he never hooked it up for whatever reason. So I don稚 know the intake and coolant temps. He said next time he値l hook it up so could see all the data. This shop does all the muscle cars here on th island. They are like the only one here and they installed all my stuff before and never had any issues. They built a Procharged C7 Grand Sport too. I trust the shop so hopefully they値l get it right. If it痴 not the plugs then I値l go back to BMS drop in filter or stock throttle body and see if fixes the problem. Thanks for the reply!

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson

Old 03-18-2018, 04:01 PM
Blurspeed
Instructor

Yeah if it痴 not the plugs then I値l go back to stock throttle body or BMS drop in. This is the only shop out here in Hawaii so I trust them. Never had any issues with the shop before for previous work. They also did a ProCharged C7 GS which was super fast. Not sure why he never hooked up the car for data.

Originally Posted by Cercone
I壇 remove the intake, change back to stock and find a new tuner who will Log your pull. Ridiculous he didn稚 log your dyno, even if you didn稚 get a tune with those mods you want to know the details.

Get notified of new replies

To Help Neeed: Car acting up on dyno (intake, ptb, xpipe, exhaust, stock tune)

Old 03-18-2018, 04:04 PM
Blurspeed
Instructor

Sorry. I wasn稚 provided with anything. We never did a baseline. Was the first dyno pull ever for this car. Not sure why there was no log or troubleshooting. I know he had other customers that day so he couldn稚 work on mine at the moment. I was on the books for intake install and 3 dyno pulls. Other customers with appointments that day and next opening isn稚 till 7 Apr. They are the only racing shop here in Hawaii that works on Muscle cars so they are always busy and swamped.

QUOTE=Pacembellum;1596807522]Worst dyno thread ever.

no baseline
no log
no troubleshooting[/QUOTE]
Old 03-18-2018, 04:05 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I think your lucky if something is not damaged you can't add a bunch of mods on the stock tune then run the crap out it on the dyno for max hp pulls. With out having a tuner
doing an actual tune. Seems you went way off on the AFR to make to studder. Hope it is ok!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 03-18-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:06 PM
Blurspeed
Instructor

Ok thank you. I値l let him know when I bring it in to check the plug wires also when he checks the plugs. Hopefully it値l all work out. If not then BMS drop in filter or stock throttle body is going back on.

QUOTE=C7/Z06 Man;1596807865]My understanding about the GM fuel trims is that they don't apply like you said to WOT/Open Loop; unless the car is "adding" fuel to part throttle, than that amount/+ % will be added/carried over to WOT.

Blurspeed: I would check the 'plug wires' to make sure they are secure at both ends.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Help Neeed: Car acting up on dyno (intake, ptb, xpipe, exhaust, stock tune)