C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Cutting new belt harness slot on GT seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 06:19 PM
rsilver
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Cutting new belt harness slot on GT seats

Hi all,

There are a number of older posts regarding running a racing harness with the stock GT or comp Seats. The belt pass through slot for those seats is too low depending on height and body type of driver.
We measured where the slot and harness bar would have to be installed to get the the harness correct i.e shoulder belts running straight from the bar through the new slot and directly over the shoulders with no deflection or contact with the seat.

I looks like another pass through slot could be cut in the GT seat about 4 inches higher than the stock one and for me, it would be correct. I have attached some pics with tape showing where the slots would have to be cut.

My question is, does anyone know if that would significantly weaken the head rest or other parts of seat back? has anyone done this?

I don't want a racing seat because I use the car for the street and long trips as well. So, I don't see any other way to make the stock GT seat work with a harness correctly. Many have noted that an improperly installed harness can do more harm than good.

thanks for all thoughts and comments.

bob
Attached Images     
Old 04-05-2018, 06:31 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 917 Likes on 730 Posts

I'd try to find some "race" type seats with lower bolsters rather than trash the stock seats. I think that would be cheaper in the long run when you decide at some point to sell the car. I'm also not too sure how strong the seat will be if you cut it. If the competition seats have holes that are in the right place for you I'd do the seat conversion. That wouldn't work for me.I put racetech seats in mine but they're hard to get in and out of and you lose the heating, cooling, and adjustability of the seat. You also lose control of the power windows if you put in a custom seat. Vetteworks is working on a plug and play solution for that.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:04 PM
rsilver
Racer

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
I'd try to find some "race" type seats with lower bolsters rather than trash the stock seats. I think that would be cheaper in the long run when you decide at some point to sell the car. I'm also not too sure how strong the seat will be if you cut it. If the competition seats have holes that are in the right place for you I'd do the seat conversion. That wouldn't work for me.I put racetech seats in mine but they're hard to get in and out of and you lose the heating, cooling, and adjustability of the seat. You also lose control of the power windows if you put in a custom seat. Vetteworks is working on a plug and play solution for that.
Badhabit, thanks for the response and for explaining the issues with Racetech seats. For the reasons you mention, I don't want to do a racing seat. I would definitely do the comp seat back, but the holes are still too low.
However, as I got to looking at this, maybe instead of a slot, we just do it like the comp seats with 2 holes, but higher and use the comp bezels if they would fit. I don't mind cutting the seat if it will work. I can find a GT seat back to replace it when I go to sell the car. thanks very much for you thoughts
The following users liked this post:
badhabit_wb (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 07:27 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

For me it was worth it because I wanted to be planted in the seat on the track. Most of my road trips are an hour minimum so getting in and outs not as big an issue as it would be if it was my dd. I love the way the seats and harness work and for me it's worth the sacrifice in getting in and out. My wife and son don't seem to mind it and I actually think my son likes it better with the six point harness.
You could always get one seat and move it in and out but I'm not sure you'd want to do that a lot. I may take mine out but I probably won't until I sell the car. When I do I will return it back to stock and either sell my seats, harnesses and harness bar, and any other mods I've made or buy another car and install it all in the new car.
The zr1 is starting to get my attention.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:13 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 374 Likes on 261 Posts

I just did the conversion 2 weeks ago. About 1800 in parts and 6 hours total time. Yes you can cut into the upper GT seat there is not much there other than foam the seat frame is a bit higher. I thought about doing the same thing but after discussing with trim and seat guys they said it would not look very well so i bit the bullet and spent the money.

3 years ago we decided all the harness bars were either very unsafe or just to high for the right harness angle under 20 degrees. We had our own high quality aluminum plates made by my design and we Tig welded them to the bulk head. We added some eye bolts, it looks good and out of the way. The angles are great and adjustable too.

If i need to raise them i will simply add a bar of 2 inch flat stock across the 2 brackets.

I've seen pics of bars sheering off at the mounting bolts after an impact i dont want to take the chance. This is a much stronger system.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:40 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 487 Posts

I thought the Brey Krause bar was strong and had lower mounting options, no?
Old 04-06-2018, 08:55 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,023 Likes on 5,377 Posts

The BK bar has both a high and low mounting option but it leaves a lot to be desired from a nice looking installation. Even the best installations look unfinished with the holes in the quarter window surround trim. However, the low mounting bar won't do you any good if your shoulders are above the holes in the either the Comp seat or the GT seat. Anybody who is 6 ft tall is close to not being able to use a harness with the stock seats.

One of my students this last weekend was too tall for the harnesses/seat in my car so we went out with the stock 3 point belts. In cinch mode and tightened properly the stock belts worked well with the comp seat but I couldn't wear my HANS.

Bill
Old 04-06-2018, 01:20 PM
rsilver
Racer

[QUOTE=Mad Dog 24;1596937249]I just did the conversion 2 weeks ago. About 1800 in parts and 6 hours total time. Yes you can cut into the upper GT seat there is not much there other than foam the seat frame is a bit higher. I thought about doing the same thing but after discussing with trim and seat guys they said it would not look very well so i bit the bullet and spent the money.

3 years ago we decided all the harness bars were either very unsafe or just to high for the right harness angle under 20 degrees. We had our own high quality aluminum plates made by my design and we Tig welded them to the bulk head. We added some eye bolts, it looks good and out of the way. The angles are great and adjustable too.............."

Hi Jeff, great hearing from you and thanks for the response. As an aside, your finned oil cooler kit along with other mods including the LG phase 1 set up really helped my A8 on hot days, I May actually be able to track a full season this year!

Anyway, I am a little over 6 feet tall, and the stock slots in either the comp or GT seats are too low for me, hence the idea of cutting slots higher on the seat for the belt pass through. No matter where we mount the belts high or low , when I am in the seat, the belts have to come up from the slots to get over my shoulders. They are deflected in the slot before they come up to my shoulder which brings the seat into the mix as well.

I sure like your mounting set up. Clean and strong. Do you have more brackets available? Maybe that is a better way to go than the bar. I don't fully understand what and where you welded them to, but if you have any I will probably go that way. Pm me when you get a chance and let me know. I think I am going to try cutting slots higher on the seat, its the only way I can see to make a harness work correctly with stock seats. The harness belts will be coming through the slot and unless we really do a hatchet job (very possible) , we think it will look ok when the harness is being used. We also thought about fabricating a removable insert to cover the stock slots and another insert to cover the new higher slots for when the harness is not being used. I can find a stock seat back when its time to sell it, or if we totally screw it up.

Thanks for the comments and pics, Best, bob

Last edited by rsilver; 04-06-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:00 PM
rsilver
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The BK bar has both a high and low mounting option but it leaves a lot to be desired from a nice looking installation. Even the best installations look unfinished with the holes in the quarter window surround trim. However, the low mounting bar won't do you any good if your shoulders are above the holes in the either the Comp seat or the GT seat. Anybody who is 6 ft tall is close to not being able to use a harness with the stock seats.

One of my students this last weekend was too tall for the harnesses/seat in my car so we went out with the stock 3 point belts. In cinch mode and tightened properly the stock belts worked well with the comp seat but I couldn't wear my HANS.

Bill
Bill, thanks for the help. I appreciate the comments on the harness bars, they didn't look great in the pictures.
Honestly, I would just use the stock 3 point belts properly adjusted, but like you, I would like to use a HANS as well. So, as I mentioned to Mad Dog above, I think we will have to do the slots higher up on the GT seat. I noted that the recommended mounting point for the harness (on a bar or otherwise) should be 1 to 2 inches BELOW the slot and actually angles up before it goes through the slot for the HANS. Here is the link showing a HANS set up.

https://www.impactraceproducts.com/v...une%202012.pdf

Thanks again for your response, I believe you discussed this in another post that I referred to and thats what got me started thinking about all of this. Best, bob

Last edited by rsilver; 04-06-2018 at 02:11 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 04-06-2018, 03:11 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Here's a link to my installation. I cut holes for the harness bar instead of slots. The holes could have been smaller and it would have still worked. I ordered new sail panels so that when I take is all out there won't be holes. I'm still trying to figure out a way to clean it up a bit but it probably doesn't look any worse than aftermarket seat brackets, etc as far as looking non stock. I'm not sure this is any safer than the stock setup but it certainly keeps you in place a lot better on the track. It's nice not wearing out my left leg on the door panel. I think whatever you do there will have to be compromises. For me it was worth it.

OOps. Here's the link https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1596815858

Last edited by badhabit_wb; 04-07-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:23 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!

Bob, Everyone using our fined coolers has got back to me with the same outcome... more track time! I think you suggested to sell the cooler with the fins pre mounted once. We have sold a few like that and it is much easier for guys rather than install themselves. We give a credit or core charge for the return cooler.

At just over 6 foot you must be all torso to need more than the comp seats! I bet you can find plastic slots to insert into the seat backs that look ok for harness pass thru's. The brackets we had made were 3\8 thick by 4 inches wide. They can be made any height you want ours were only about 4.5 inches but you could go 6 or more. The bulk head GM built in our cars really shows the rigidity they had in mind. It is made out of about 3\16th HS aluminum which is more than enough to Tig the brackets too. Simply pull back the carpet move some wiring and weld. Sorry but i wont sell them i feel there is to much with liability issues. If i was to buy a bar it would be the BK seemed to be the best design but very intrusive to our cargo area.

Email or call me if you need more info on the weld in brackets. Jeff
Old 04-07-2018, 01:00 PM
rsilver
Racer

[QUOTE=badhabit_wb;1596941610]Here's a link to my installation. I cut holes for the harness bar instead of slots. The holes could have been smaller and it would have still worked. I ordered new sail panels so that when I take is all out there won't be holes. I'm still trying to figure out a way to clean it up a bit but it probably doesn't look any worse than aftermarket seat brackets, etc as far as looking non stock. I'm not sure this is any safer than the stock setup but it certainly keeps you in place a lot better on the track. It's nice not wearing out my left leg on the door panel. I think whatever you do there will have to be compromises. For me it was worth it.

OOps. Here's the link https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1596815858[/QUOTE

Badhabit, the seats look great and now you have a great track set up!
How are the seats on the street? I am a big guy, Did you have GT seats? Have you had a chance to try the new seats on a longer drive? I agree, its all a compromise for a street/track car.

We don't really know how much safer the various harness set ups are VS stock. Another option for me is keep the GT seats and stock 3 point, buy a Simpson Hybrid S HANS compatible for use with the 3 point ( I understand the concerns with that). I was also considering the issue of "left leg against the door" on the track. I wonder if I could use a high density foam support to wedge between the left leg and the door. I guess that could be a safety issue by itself. Nice write up and pics and thanks for posting the link. Your set up is a good option.
best, bob
Old 04-07-2018, 01:10 PM
rsilver
Racer

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24
Bob, Everyone using our fined coolers has got back to me with the same outcome... more track time! I think you suggested to sell the cooler with the fins pre mounted once. We have sold a few like that and it is much easier for guys rather than install themselves. We give a credit or core charge for the return cooler.

At just over 6 foot you must be all torso to need more than the comp seats! I bet you can find plastic slots to insert into the seat backs that look ok for harness pass thru's. The brackets we had made were 3\8 thick by 4 inches wide. They can be made any height you want ours were only about 4.5 inches but you could go 6 or more. The bulk head GM built in our cars really shows the rigidity they had in mind. It is made out of about 3\16th HS aluminum which is more than enough to Tig the brackets too. Simply pull back the carpet move some wiring and weld. Sorry but i wont sell them i feel there is to much with liability issues. If i was to buy a bar it would be the BK seemed to be the best design but very intrusive to our cargo area.

Email or call me if you need more info on the weld in brackets. Jeff
Jeff, thanks for the response. I understand about the brackets and I don't blame you. Good business decision. You guys have access to the right equipment and have lots of experience with car bodies, so its a great solution for you. I would have to rely on someone else to weld it and my own fabrication, non of which I am comfortable with, so I would probably have to do a harness bar.
As I mention above, I may just stay with the 3 point and go with the Simpson hybrid HANS. I can always do the harness later and still use the Hybrid with the Harness. Expensive way to go for sure.

Glad the finned oil cooler is working for others! Best, bob
Old 04-07-2018, 01:42 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

[QUOTE=rsilver;1596947408]
Here's a link to my installation. I cut holes for the harness bar instead of slots. The holes could have been smaller and it would have still worked. I ordered new sail panels so that when I take is all out there won't be holes. I'm still trying to figure out a way to clean it up a bit but it probably doesn't look any worse than aftermarket seat brackets, etc as far as looking non stock. I'm not sure this is any safer than the stock setup but it certainly keeps you in place a lot better on the track. It's nice not wearing out my left leg on the door panel. I think whatever you do there will have to be compromises. For me it was worth it.

OOps. Here's the link https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1596815858[/QUOTE

Badhabit, the seats look great and now you have a great track set up!
How are the seats on the street? I am a big guy, Did you have GT seats? Have you had a chance to try the new seats on a longer drive? I agree, its all a compromise for a street/track car.

We don't really know how much safer the various harness set ups are VS stock. Another option for me is keep the GT seats and stock 3 point, buy a Simpson Hybrid S HANS compatible for use with the 3 point ( I understand the concerns with that). I was also considering the issue of "left leg against the door" on the track. I wonder if I could use a high density foam support to wedge between the left leg and the door. I guess that could be a safety issue by itself. Nice write up and pics and thanks for posting the link. Your set up is a good option.
best, bob
Bob other than getting in and out I think they're actually more comfortable than stock.I had the GT seats and looked at the comp conversion but I was too tall. I tend to forget about the harness after I drive for a few minutes and I don't pull it as tight as I do on track. My wife thinks they're more comfortable but she hasn't ridden in them for more than an hour.
I'm more comfortable on track for sure but it does take some getting used to shifting. For some reason my 4th to 5th shift has suffered. I never had any problem before but I have to be careful now. I've only had one track day so I know I'll get used to it.
I'm using the Simpson hybrid with this setup and I really like it. I bought it before I bought the seats but didn't actually get to try it with the stock setup on track.
I mainly drive it at VIR so I could probably have gotten by with just one seat but I knew I'd end up with problems getting checked out with other groups and at other tracks so I just bit the bullet.
Fwiw I'm 6'3" tall and weigh 225. Most of the other seats wouldn't have been comfortable for me. If the seats leave indentations in the door panels I'll just deal with it. After trimming off the edge of the "wings" and putting the seat cover back on I think I'll be fine.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:37 PM
rsilver
Racer

[QUOTE=badhabit_wb;1596947656]
Originally Posted by rsilver

Bob other than getting in and out I think they're actually more comfortable than stock.I had the GT seats and looked at the comp conversion but I was too tall. I tend to forget about the harness after I drive for a few minutes and I don't pull it as tight as I do on track. My wife thinks they're more comfortable but she hasn't ridden in them for more than an hour.
I'm more comfortable on track for sure but it does take some getting used to shifting. For some reason my 4th to 5th shift has suffered. I never had any problem before but I have to be careful now. I've only had one track day so I know I'll get used to it.
I'm using the Simpson hybrid with this setup and I really like it. I bought it before I bought the seats but didn't actually get to try it with the stock setup on track.
I mainly drive it at VIR so I could probably have gotten by with just one seat but I knew I'd end up with problems getting checked out with other groups and at other tracks so I just bit the bullet.
Fwiw I'm 6'3" tall and weigh 225. Most of the other seats wouldn't have been comfortable for me. If the seats leave indentations in the door panels I'll just deal with it. After trimming off the edge of the "wings" and putting the seat cover back on I think I'll be fine.
Great comments and very helpful. I will let it all sink in, our track season is ramping up and I want to get out there. I gotta check out those race tech seats in more detail. I am 6'1" and 220 after years of weightlifting, so I am like a bull in a china closet. Looks like you have the same problems. If you get a chance, let us know how you like the set up after living with it on the track and Street. I drive at HPR and Pueblo In colorado, which are not quite as hard core as VIR so I probably have a few options. All of the comments in these threads have really helped direct me to the best options. Will advise on what I do and how it works. Have a great season
Old 04-07-2018, 02:54 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,184 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24
I just did the conversion 2 weeks ago. About 1800 in parts and 6 hours total time. Yes you can cut into the upper GT seat there is not much there other than foam the seat frame is a bit higher. I thought about doing the same thing but after discussing with trim and seat guys they said it would not look very well so i bit the bullet and spent the money.

3 years ago we decided all the harness bars were either very unsafe or just to high for the right harness angle under 20 degrees. We had our own high quality aluminum plates made by my design and we Tig welded them to the bulk head. We added some eye bolts, it looks good and out of the way. The angles are great and adjustable too.

If i need to raise them i will simply add a bar of 2 inch flat stock across the 2 brackets.

I've seen pics of bars sheering off at the mounting bolts after an impact i dont want to take the chance. This is a much stronger system.
those ''eye-bolts'' look small,and are they welded eye?
Old 04-07-2018, 03:37 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

[QUOTE=rsilver;1596947941]

Great comments and very helpful. I will let it all sink in, our track season is ramping up and I want to get out there. I gotta check out those race tech seats in more detail. I am 6'1" and 220 after years of weightlifting, so I am like a bull in a china closet. Looks like you have the same problems. If you get a chance, let us know how you like the set up after living with it on the track and Street. I drive at HPR and Pueblo In colorado, which are not quite as hard core as VIR so I probably have a few options. All of the comments in these threads have really helped direct me to the best options. Will advise on what I do and how it works. Have a great season
Sounds good. You're always welcome to pm me if you need any further info or I fail to add to the thread. I plan to run one or two events a month if I can swing it so that should be a good test. I'm finding out the weak points in the car and the cost of consumables is growing! Have a great season and stay safe.

Herman

Get notified of new replies

To Cutting new belt harness slot on GT seats

Old 04-07-2018, 05:57 PM
rsilver
Racer

[QUOTE=badhabit_wb;1596948251]
Originally Posted by rsilver

Sounds good. You're always welcome to pm me if you need any further info or I fail to add to the thread. I plan to run one or two events a month if I can swing it so that should be a good test. I'm finding out the weak points in the car and the cost of consumables is growing! Have a great season and stay safe.

Herman
The Cost of Consumables!!! Its a lot of dough, i spent the whole winter looking for deals on rotors, pads and tires. Even with that, its expensive.BUT, is it fuc*ing fun no matter what level your at!
Old 04-07-2018, 06:34 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

[QUOTE=rsilver;1596949009]

The Cost of Consumables!!! Its a lot of dough, i spent the whole winter looking for deals on rotors, pads and tires. Even with that, its expensive.BUT, is it fuc*ing fun no matter what level your at!
Yeah it is! It's all worth it.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:22 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

To DeMaxx, The eye bolts we used were the ones that came in the BR harness mounting kit, yes welded.

Hey Bob i see your a weight lifter too as myself although mostly for slalom course water skiing. The first time i sat in my new Comp seat backs i said to self stay off the Lat machine! My upper back and shoulders are a tight fit with the seats and I'm only 5-11 @ 200. Wish i cut away some of the foam when installing them.

So I'm not the only one spending the winter looking for consumable deals.

Quick Reply: Cutting new belt harness slot on GT seats