C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z is acting up

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 04:09 PM
427V8BB
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Z is acting up

Hey guys drove the z today and I noticed that it was shooting little white clouds some time. And I had a friend jump in and rev it and it acted as if it studdered and shot allot of black smoke out. The tips are stupid black and it reaks when u start it up. Do they run this rich stock? Car is stock btw. It’s a 2015 z07 manual 24k miles ever since we bought it, it also had this thing come up service rear axle and when I take slight turns the traction control comes on and aggressively try’s correcting the car. Only mod is different tires but same size and non runflats this time.

Btw the car stayed at 210-220 coolant and oil temp for a very long time over 30 minutes. Car was heat soaked felt slow. It’s fine now.

Has warrenty so I’m gonna take it in for my pops but I would like to see if anyone else had these issues.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:33 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Is this an after winter start up?
They run rich.
Why rev it? It won't idle?
Old 05-07-2018, 06:48 PM
GeorgeR_Zed06
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

Maybe the car got hot and the cat overtemp protection feature kicked in dumping tons of fuel..??
Old 05-07-2018, 06:50 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by 427V8BB
Hey guys drove the z today and I noticed that it was shooting little white clouds some time. And I had a friend jump in and rev it and it acted as if it studdered and shot allot of black smoke out. The tips are stupid black and it reaks when u start it up. Do they run this rich stock? Car is stock btw. It’s a 2015 z07 manual 24k miles ever since we bought it, it also had this thing come up service rear axle and when I take slight turns the traction control comes on and aggressively try’s correcting the car. Only mod is different tires but same size and non runflats this time.

Btw the car stayed at 210-220 coolant and oil temp for a very long time over 30 minutes. Car was heat soaked felt slow. It’s fine now.

Has warrenty so I’m gonna take it in for my pops but I would like to see if anyone else had these issues.
These "service rear axle" warnings are becoming reported more and more. My 16 is in the shop right now looking for what is causing it. No word yet. I'll post when I have some news worth reading. I haven't been able to find any info searching here, only seeing other that are having it occur.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:02 PM
427V8BB
Pro

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
These "service rear axle" warnings are becoming reported more and more. My 16 is in the shop right now looking for what is causing it. No word yet. I'll post when I have some news worth reading. I haven't been able to find any info searching here, only seeing other that are having it occur.
it was doing some freaky **** wanting to damn swing out uncontrollably. I really don’t like the traction control I drive with it off or even when I have it off and I do a burn out and smoke em soon as the back end goes out traction control came in and I’m not shitting you took me side to side while the brakes were going crazy doing it’s own thing and almost lost it. I had full control the system went crazy. Happen to my 56 year old father
Old 05-07-2018, 08:04 PM
427V8BB
Pro

Originally Posted by GeorgeR_Zed06
Maybe the car got hot and the cat overtemp protection feature kicked in dumping tons of fuel..??
yeah but it never went past 220 which is normal right? I was beating on it bad up to 150mph in Mexico down south. But before going there it was shooting white little smoke out the exhaust when gunning it.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

it was doing some freaky **** wanting to damn swing out uncontrollably. I really don’t like the traction control I drive with it off or even when I have it off and I do a burn out and smoke em soon as the back end goes out traction control came in and I’m not shitting you took me side to side while the brakes were going crazy doing it’s own thing and almost lost it. I had full control the system went crazy. Happen to my 56 year old father
Something doesn't make sense. You say you had TC turned off but then it cut back in. That doesn't make sense since when it is off it won't turn back on. Also TC doesn't jerk you back and forth it cuts power first and if that doesn't keep a wheel from spinning it will apply a brake on the wheel that is losing traction so the power goes to the wheel with traction. How did you turn off TC and how did you turn off stability control? They are two separate functions.

Bill
Old 05-08-2018, 12:11 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

There are two levels of rear axle shut down. Service rear axle then rear axle system off. Depending on the level it will affect more systems. When it starts shutting off you can no longer turn off stability. Can't enter ptm, etc. When the rear axle system shuts off the stability control is overly sensitive and will apply brakes during low to moderate cornering g forces. There are a variety of things that cause this.

When the rear axle errors occur it will turn on TC and or stability and it will become overly corrective.

Last edited by djnice; 05-08-2018 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:30 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

it was doing some freaky ****

there it was shooting white little smoke out the exhaust when gunning it.

I have it off and I do a burn out and smoke em soon as the back end goes out traction control came in and I’m not shitting you took me side to side while the brakes were going crazy doing it’s own thing and almost lost it

I was beating on it bad up to 150mph in Mexico down south.
With all due respect —-Did you ever think that maybe the above activity is contributing to the problem - beating on it bad prior to all the wonky service lights coming on and puffs of white smoke and other unexplained freaky **** when your 56 year old dad isn’t around to monitor this Mexican activity in what I am guessing is his car?

hopefully it’s still under warranty the dealer fixes it and you consider the above to prevent future problems and you not becoming a YouTube corvette fail feature

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 05-08-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:31 AM
427V8BB
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Something doesn't make sense. You say you had TC turned off but then it cut back in. That doesn't make sense since when it is off it won't turn back on. Also TC doesn't jerk you back and forth it cuts power first and if that doesn't keep a wheel from spinning it will apply a brake on the wheel that is losing traction so the power goes to the wheel with traction. How did you turn off TC and how did you turn off stability control? They are two separate functions.

Bill
im sorry I meant went I turned it off the stability stayed on so when I did burnouts and it got sideways it did what I described I guess turning it off doesn’t fully turn it off
Old 05-08-2018, 10:32 AM
427V8BB
Pro

Originally Posted by djnice
There are two levels of rear axle shut down. Service rear axle then rear axle system off. Depending on the level it will affect more systems. When it starts shutting off you can no longer turn off stability. Can't enter ptm, etc. When the rear axle system shuts off the stability control is overly sensitive and will apply brakes during low to moderate cornering g forces. There are a variety of things that cause this.

When the rear axle errors occur it will turn on TC and or stability and it will become overly corrective.
yes seems something like this thank you
Old 05-08-2018, 10:33 AM
427V8BB
Pro

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

With all due respect —-Did you ever think that maybe the above activity is contributing to the problem - beating on it bad prior to all the wonky service lights coming on and puffs of white smoke and other unexplained freaky **** when your 56 year old dad isn’t around to monitor this Mexican activity in what I am guessing is his car?

hopefully it’s still under warranty the dealer fixes it and you consider the above to prevent future problems and you not becoming a YouTube corvette fail feature
he’s in the passenger seat some times and it doesn’t get beat much. I don’t beat it anymore than someone who tracks it. You shoulda saw it my mother was poping a burnout put in Mexico the other day! Love my momma

Last edited by 427V8BB; 05-08-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:42 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Default tc

Originally Posted by djnice

This is exactly what my car is doing. It popped up on the road course and knocked me out of PTM. When it does it, it looses radio presets and a/c turns off. I think that is by design so you look to the DIC to see what it is alerting you to.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:48 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
[left]
With all due respect —-Did you ever think that maybe the above activity is contributing to the problem - beating on it bad prior to all the wonky service lights coming on and puffs of white smoke and other unexplained freaky **** ...
The Z06 shouldn't be having a problem with that.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:55 AM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Are burn outs in mexico somehow different than ones done in the United States?
You mention it twice so I'm wondering.

If you drive it "aggressively" with the nannies on, does it still behave the same?
Old 05-08-2018, 11:14 AM
GeorgeR_Zed06
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

with one click of the tcs button, my car at 80mph, wants to throw me off the road too, lol. with all nannies off, i took it a lil sideways at 105mph. i think something is wrong with my car too...
Old 05-08-2018, 11:35 AM
DomLS3
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 116 Posts

I saw another post that said it was a bad alternator.

Get notified of new replies

To Z is acting up

Old 05-08-2018, 05:15 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

This is exactly what my car is doing. It popped up on the road course and knocked me out of PTM. When it does it, it looses radio presets and a/c turns off. I think that is by design so you look to the DIC to see what it is alerting you to.
The times mine shut off the rear axle system, I am 99% sure it did not affect the A/C and radio presets. There is something electrical that is affecting various systems. Communication between modules or something.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:40 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

im sorry I meant went I turned it off the stability stayed on so when I did burnouts and it got sideways it did what I described I guess turning it off doesn’t fully turn it off
Yes, it will get really out of shape if you try to drift when the rear axle system is malfunctioning. It is running as an open diff, which makes it harder to drift, but you can get it to step out. Then stability control will come on, but it seems to be confused thinking it still has two drive wheels. When it applies brakes to correct, it ends up throwing you left and right in an uncontrolled manner. It will also modulate brakes for no reason when pulling light g's in corners. It actually causes the car to get unstable rocking back and forth/fore and aft. Kind of fun to experiment with.

What is worse is when the problem gets half corrected, but your rear eLSD occasionally stops locking. Then you get no codes, stability still works, but only one tire spins and the dealer doesn't believe you that something is wrong because the technicians aren't "drivers" and have never drifted a car.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:57 PM
427V8BB
Pro

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
Are burn outs in mexico somehow different than ones done in the United States?
You mention it twice so I'm wondering.

If you drive it "aggressively" with the nannies on, does it still behave the same?
move driven this car 10
times in my life and probably beat it 6 times the other time it’s a DD for my pops and mom

Quick Reply: Z is acting up