C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Alky control meth leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 01:38 AM
davbrucas
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Alky control meth leak

I noticed the dash warning about low wiper fluid the other day, which is the first time I have ever noticed it, so I went to refill it and all the methanol that I poured into the reservoir spilled out onto the garage floor. The kit has only been on the car about 5k miles. Anybody else having this issue? I am not driving the car until I get it fixed but I have not had the time to take the wheel off and look. I hope it's an easy fix but 6months seems a little quick for something to fail.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:45 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

sounds like an install errors!!
Old 05-16-2018, 10:09 AM
silver74vette
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I have seen quite a few of these failures from people using connections that are not compatible with methanol. Have also seen lines and nozzles plugged with the corrosion products. Hope it is something simple.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:16 AM
Tort
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

Are you running straight meth or boost juice? Most of these are warrantied so your installer should be able to fix it for free if you're within the warranty period. Snow has a lifetime warranty on all their products (including the pump!) if you use their boost juice. Doesn't help you now but an FYSA for anyone else...

Last edited by Tort; 05-16-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:06 PM
jerho
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Had same problem! Same low washer fluid level on my dic using meth in washher tank. Added meth and noticed it leaking from the washer tank. I removed the liner where the fluid tank is located and found the leak. Line connecting the pump to the tank was not properly installed. It has to be pushed down into.the connection with force. Did that had no more problems. Lucky meth did not get on the hot headers. Take care of that problem stat. Good luck!!
Old 05-16-2018, 03:08 PM
AZGASSER
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 211 Posts

I had a pump failure/leak after about 6 months. Replaced in 20 mins by CPR under warranty. Remember these are all mechanical devices and are prone to failures and leaks over time. Julio at Alky Control is a stand up guy and will work with you to get your system back up and running.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:19 PM
davbrucas
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. GeForce in Houston did the install but my car is in Mississippi. I had no issues with it up until it started leaking. I’m lucky that it didn’t cause a fire.
I spoke with someone at Alky Control and he was helpful. I just need to jack the car up and take a look. What’s all involved with removing the fender liner? I’ve never done that before.
Thanks again.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:22 PM
mowe
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 108 Posts

It’s usually an age thing. Pumps should be replaced every 18 months. Mine leaked after about 15 months. From what I read it’s par for the course.

New pump and problem fixed.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:36 PM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 305 Likes on 246 Posts

Windshield washer reservoir is bad idea for that reason, it's very prone to leaking as the components/ gaskets etc were not made to hold methanol.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:42 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,227 Likes on 774 Posts

it happens every now and then. same thing as why can a brand new car have an alternator fail, sometimes even puppies die new. julio warranties them for a year so no stress.
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
480-359-5914

Old 05-18-2018, 04:23 AM
davbrucas
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joe@CPR
it happens every now and then. same thing as why can a brand new car have an alternator fail, sometimes even puppies die new. julio warranties them for a year so no stress.
I am not worried about the cost of the pump...it's the down time and pita having to work on it such a short time after having it installed.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:54 PM
NicD
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by BooSSted
Windshield washer reservoir is bad idea for that reason, it's very prone to leaking as the components/ gaskets etc were not made to hold methanol.
Psst, you do realize that most windshield washing fluid is comprised of ~40-50% methanol right? The colder environment fluids have even more methanol in them. When you are running 100% meth you should have your meth pump serviced with new seals on a yearly basis.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:20 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
Psst, you do realize that most windshield washing fluid is comprised of ~40-50% methanol right? The colder environment fluids have even more methanol in them. When you are running 100% meth you should have your meth pump serviced with new seals on a yearly basis.
Was going to say same thing, the washer tank is specifically made for meth, as most washer fluids are meth+water.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:34 AM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 305 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
Indeed, poor verbiage on my part as it wasnt referenced specifically for the tank it self. I've seen quite a few leaks from the connections of the pump and or where they're plumbed.

Get notified of new replies

To Alky control meth leak

Quick Reply: Alky control meth leak