C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

ZO6 vs Sport Bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 02:35 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by desmophile
The Bonneville was in the superbike class of its time
I bought a new Norton 750 Commando in 1972. Maybe 60hp at the crank on a good day. About the same weight as our Panigales with 140 more hp. And the Norton had drum brakes () and skinny little tires. I came far closer to death on that bike than I have on the Ducati. But then I am 45 years older and, a little bit, wiser
Cool! I've had a Triumph 650 Bonneville, a 500 Triumph Daytona, and a 650 BSA. Never owned a 750 Norton, but rode one numerous times.
The following users liked this post:
trooper (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 03:17 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Cercone
[left]

Ok...I was talking to Warp about seeing time slips on bikes vs cars around here.
Thanks for the offer. I probably can't pull it off anytime soon, since my small business (an extremely small business), is severely back-ordered.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:42 PM
trooper
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by desmophile
The Bonneville was in the superbike class of its time
I bought a new Norton 750 Commando in 1972. Maybe 60hp at the crank on a good day. About the same weight as our Panigales with 140 more hp. And the Norton had drum brakes () and skinny little tires. I came far closer to death on that bike than I have on the Ducati. But then I am 45 years older and, a little bit, wiser
Yeah, drum brakes, skinny tires, no suspension to speak of, flexible flyer frame/front end and the always awesome Lucas "the Prince of Darkness" electrical system...boy it was FAST though..not..at least it was the **** back then.

Crazy you must be close to my age too, and racing a Panigale now! You are CRAZY! You must really know what you are doing. I did some local "learn to lean" track events back in my divorcing days (25 yrs ago) on my Ninja 500 with my buddy on a ZX-11 and it was eye-opening for both of us. He used to dust me on the straights on the street but on the track...I road past him in the corners like he was going backward, in short order I was lapping him. Switched bikes, same result, Ninja kicked the ZX-11's *** on the bumpy 2 mile Nelson's Ledges Road Course. Instructors called the ZX-11 a pig and not meant for such a road course, a supersport tourer... and my buddy promptly sold it and bought a 500. Funny too, I remember this chick in full leathers on a 250 that would just ride around us in the corners like we were parked. Embarrassing to say the least but she was cool about it, she had been racing for 10 years, us just amateurs, dragging knees, or just trying to for the first time, great memories. Stay safe, too many cell phone texting cagers out there on the street, probably safer on the track.
The following users liked this post:
desmophile (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 06:10 PM
trooper
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Cool! I've had a Triumph 650 Bonneville, a 500 Triumph Daytona, and a 650 BSA. Never owned a 750 Norton, but rode one numerous times.
So, based on those bikes mentioned you must be in your 60's like me too. As a former engineer for TRW Aerospace, Ford Automotive Research (one of the "other" big 3, don't ask), and present Mobil Hydraulics engineer with multiple patents, I appreciate your obvious understanding of the physics/dynamics of bikes vs cars...you are pretty much spot on with your comments and analysis. Nice to hear a voice of logic, knowledge, reason and common sense in this current world of internet experts. I don't "contribute" much to the forums I frequent, way too much BS and ignorance for me, everyone seems to be an "expert", not me.

Quick Reply: ZO6 vs Sport Bike