C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Paint work help

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 07:48 PM
MechEngr
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Paint work help

Guys I ended up getting into a Z06 over the winter and to make a long story short it turns out that the car had major paint work done that was unknown to me and not on the carfax. The more I inspected the more I found. Being color deficient these things are not as noticable to me at times so I brought in a friend who is very good and paints for a living to help me look it over. I will spare you the details but I would like to know if any of you know some outstanding paint shops (more restoration oriented and not a collision body shop with a good painter) that would be up to the task of fixing the the car to close to factory levels or quality with the correct colors? I'm located in North Central WV but don't mind traveling a little to seek quality and a quality opinion and quote. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth keeping the car and saving it or cutting it lose. Thanks for the any help in advance.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:54 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,114 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Give us some details. How did you and where did you notice the paint issues and any pictures?
Old 05-23-2018, 08:18 PM
MechEngr
Intermediate

Dave, it started by wanting to get a couple bumper chips fixed spiraled from there. I'm guessing 80 percent has been painted. Looks to me like whoever performed the work was chasing color. The passenger side although painted I think looks pretty good. The drivers side and hood I think have slight color differentiation with respect to the rear hatch roof and other side. If you aren't looking for it, you won't see it. If I had to guess, I would say that 80 percent was painted once and something like 35 percent was painted again. I am trying to contact the previous 2 owners to see what I can find out. Life lesson learned the hard way.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:19 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

check the carfax.. but too late now.

what color is it?
Old 05-23-2018, 09:32 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,114 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by MechEngr
Dave, it started by wanting to get a couple bumper chips fixed spiraled from there. I'm guessing 80 percent has been painted. Looks to me like whoever performed the work was chasing color. The passenger side although painted I think looks pretty good. The drivers side and hood I think have slight color differentiation with respect to the rear hatch roof and other side. If you aren't looking for it, you won't see it. If I had to guess, I would say that 80 percent was painted once and something like 35 percent was painted again. I am trying to contact the previous 2 owners to see what I can find out. Life lesson learned the hard way.
That's why I tell these guys all the time that a couple of chips here and there are not worth painting panels. If you look on threads that are up on paint issues with the hood chips and side vent fender chips I tell them it is not worth repainting and touch it up and live with it. If it is major then by all means paint the whole car if necessary but for these small chips it drives me crazy even though they should not be there in the first place on new cars from the factory. Good luck Dave

Old 05-23-2018, 10:47 PM
MechEngr
Intermediate

Thanks Dave. Yeah I'm thinking I agree with you. It can create a real mess. I don't know what to do with the thing to be honest.

Hopefully someone on here can point to place that is really good with restorative paint work. I would like to have an idea about how much an entire paint job would even cost.

Yeah it's hard to believe it's bubbled like that from the factory. That's not too bad though, I agree, I would leave that alone.

Last edited by MechEngr; 05-23-2018 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:55 AM
carsnpars
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Paint work help

Good collision shop would be as good as a resto shop. Bubbleing is not good! What color? Even black isn't just black anymore. Some colors you can panel paint but as you stated you thought they were chasing color! The three stage blue,red etc are harder to match so they usually blend but a GOOD painter can do spray outs and get it spot on but it but it could take hours. As far as cost, taking the car apart, trim, bumpers etc it would be around 10K or more! The paint, primer if needed for the bubbeling and clear would be over 1000$ plus ......
Old 05-24-2018, 11:24 AM
srqmedic
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MechEngr
Guys I ended up getting into a Z06 over the winter and to make a long story short it turns out that the car had major paint work done that was unknown to me and not on the carfax. The more I inspected the more I found. Being color deficient these things are not as noticable to me at times so I brought in a friend who is very good and paints for a living to help me look it over. I will spare you the details but I would like to know if any of you know some outstanding paint shops (more restoration oriented and not a collision body shop with a good painter) that would be up to the task of fixing the the car to close to factory levels or quality with the correct colors? I'm located in North Central WV but don't mind traveling a little to seek quality and a quality opinion and quote. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth keeping the car and saving it or cutting it lose. Thanks for the any help in advance.
Although I not a big fan of the dealer. I have to say they haven't disappointed me so far and, they warranty the work. I'm absolutely the biggest baby when it comes to my car and wanting everything perfect so believe me when I tell you the dealer will be fine for this repair.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:49 PM
GeorgeR_Zed06
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

Don't feel too bad, many guys on here bought new cars and are now complaining about the paint imperfections because the side vents are rubbing off the paint, etc, etc,. Also, if you can prove the dealer knew about the paint work and they failed to disclose it, they either have to redo it or buy the car back...
Old 05-24-2018, 05:45 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

red is easy. Silver/grey is a nightmare. Ask me how i know.

To do an entire Vette, i'd charge someone about 7-10k.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:25 PM
MechEngr
Intermediate

Trevor, I was honestly thinking $5-7k. To better understand the price, what is driving it so high, time?

To be honest the car seems easy enough to work on, would it be possible for someone to take the fenders, hood bumper, hatch, doors, and roof off and deliver is so that said painter could match factory color from door jambs and just sand them down, re-color, and clear them? Would that help in price?

I see the advantage of this being the avoiding a lot of over-spray on things and being able to lay everything out flat under the same light angle to see if it matches more easily. Seems to me the job may be cleaner and smoother that way?

There is much that I don't know about this so I am just trying to understand and get feedback on curiosity. The color is DSOM, which is painful enough but I think my friend said it wasn't a three stage paint. Not 100% sure, maybe you guys know.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint work help

Quick Reply: Paint work help