C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Vararam Intake claims 60 RWHP, any real world results?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 01:50 AM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

This thread has been dragging on forever.

If you have documented results for a 60 HP gain, spit it out.

I'd love to see that kind of a gain from an easy bolt-on.

IMO, time to put up or you know what.....
The following users liked this post:
Wandering Scot (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 08:59 AM
Wandering Scot
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Also, I'm a member over on the Camaro6 forum and see no thread about the datalogging you did.
Link to thread?
Old 10-08-2018, 09:08 AM
Checkmate1
Burning Brakes

Received 212 Likes on 128 Posts

Why all this anguish. Get a BMS filter and call it a day. No mess no fuss. You may get an additional 3-5hp tops which is just fine by me.

Everyone is so bent about extracting HP. My suggestion - do some track days and learn to handle and enjoy the car as is.

Last edited by Checkmate1; 10-08-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Gonzo (07-23-2019)
Old 10-08-2018, 09:45 AM
Wandering Scot
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Checkmate1
Why all this anguish. Get a BMS filter and call it a day. No mess no fuss. You may get an additional 3-5hp tops which is just fine by me.

Everyone is so bent about extracting HP. My suggestion - do some track days and learn to handle and enjoy the car as is.

No anguish, but when someone makes a claim of a roughly 10% increase in power from a CAI it's a bit of a stretch.

FWIW I do track mine; road course, 1/4 mile and top speed events like the Texas Mile.
1/4 mile and top speed events require every last HP you can wring out of your car.
60 hp is a pretty impressive difference, and the thread starter has been claiming his product offers that for awhile now with little substantiation.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:12 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

I patiently await the results. I had such a lousy experience with VaraRam on my C6 Corvette that I swore I would never buy one again. But to be fair that was not the experience of many others here. No sense in beating a dead horse so lets patiently wait for results. In the end if they do what they say and it is a quality product I will be the first to say I was wrong in my remarks.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:27 AM
HessViper
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I plan to buy a new z06 in the next month or 2, and I am trying to find a dealer who will work with me on a 19 model year order.

I have been doing my homework on what can be done to these cars and retain the factory warranty. I met a person along the way who has explained in full detail and the facts behind the p0106 code. It can be seen in HP tuners, that under GM's stock tune, once the car's map sensor detects to 180kPa in the manifold after the screws, the p0106 code is thrown, putting the stock tune vehicles into limp mode.

I have seen stock vehicle's logs with stock intake systems reach 180kPa at the MAP, due to high speed travel in cold weather at sea level. The person's calculations and logs show that a car at or around 11.5 to 12.5psi stock manifold boost pressure at lower temperatures cause the stock tune vehicles to reach this p0106 pressure limit.

VaraRam, assuming your statements are correct, how do you intend to keep the vehicle from surpassing this stock MAP pressure limit, when you claim that your unit increases MAP pressure roughly 1.5psi?

What cold weather testing have you done at sea level and high speeds? If your customers encounter this error code on stock tunes, do you offer any type of money back return policy?

Please consider, this problem applies to the entire state of florida, most of north and south Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, and highly populated towns like Boston, New York, DC, San Fran, etc etc.

Originally Posted by VaraRam Industries
FYI:
We completed cold weather testing last year. Hot weather testing was completed just recently as well . We did this on multiple years of C7 Z-06's .
Our testing is similar to an OEM's in that we cover all weather conditions and different altitude ranges in a host of different driving styles.
VR tech
How about driving the corvette "fast" while in the cold?

I would hate for forum members with actual data that has already been released, to prove that you did no such testing, or else your car should have entered into limp mode and/or you found that limp mode not important enough to report to your potential buyers.

Thank you, Brian

Last edited by HessViper; 10-08-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:11 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

SHORT ANSWER: Dyno charts will be coming when its released.

Important note INFO / Longer answer-
DYNO charts don't show you the real world results for the LT-4's

example : LT-4 Blower IAT temps heat soak up +27-40 deg ABOVE what they read from the MAF IAT's when on the road at WOT and in normal driving . This VS only 0-7 deg with the Vararam unit. That's a 2-3% gain in power that will never show on a dyno .
This excessive heat soak leads to pulled timing , lower MAP pressures and lower cam timing etc... . In other words, the dyno means nothing to you. That is ,Unless your going to drive your car with the hood open with the engine at an optimal 177 deg operating temp , with the blower nice and cold with a fan blowing to make "one glory pull"
That is truly a world of make believe ! I do not know about anyone else, but I do not live and drive my Corvette in that world.

We engineer our units for Dynamic operation , that is, real world gains .
That being said ,we made sure the system dyno-ed higher than our competition by sizable margins , but its what we have created "ON THE ROAD" that is truly untouchable and will transform your driving experience.

Example: We add timing wile others pull timing , We add boost wile they add little to zero when compared to factory ! It's just a different world with a Vararam unit.
This goes for the LT-4 Camaro guys too! Heck they are more detuned than the Z-06's !

VR tech
It's been nearly four months since you made those claims. Any substantiation yet, or was that just a "*****-tease" marketing gimmick?
Old 10-08-2018, 03:43 PM
HessViper
Instructor

Originally Posted by MechEngr
VR Tech, if I follow correctly, you are referring to picking back up horsepower the car actually made on the dyno but lost once in operation on the road. In other words, the cars are actually producing more power with the hood up sitting on the dyno than they are when they are being driven on the road. So I am assuming the "60 rwhp" is the theoretical delta between what the car actually did when in operation bone stock versus in operation with your unit. I am assuming correctly? This theory would fall in line with "GM DID do most of it".
I have been taught that the reason the cars do this is due to the fact that at speed, they make more positive air pressure in the fender where the vehicle's intake inhales from. This pressure in the fender, causes pressure to build within the manifold after the screws. The car approaches the p0106 limit. As it approaches the p0106 limit, the ecu commands the car to run more rich.

From my observations, this can be witnessed time and time again across this forum, and peoples quarter mile times suffer as a result with mods that cause the car to breathe better on the intake side, thus creating more pressure after the screws at the MAP. This specifically applies to vehicles which were already close to the p0106 limit due to altitude, or cold ambient temps, or intake mods

Here is a post as of yesterday/today which explains this exact phenomenon:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...7-lt4-z06.html

I am thankful I met the fellow down here in Florida, he seems to understand these cars better than most shops and vendors it seems. Double check his data, but so far, everything everyone is saying on the forum who still has a stock tune, is matching his explanations perfectly.

This of course, is why the cars produce good numbers on the dyno... the car is not at speed, fender is not pressurized in 4th or 5th gear, thus less map pressure, thus the car does not choose to run extra rich, thus the car actually makes more power as it runs leaner on the dyno.

Ironically, he has products he is about to release. Some of you may want to be patient, the guy who solved the p0106 is about to change the game on cars with stock tunes. To make matters more fun, I am experienced in filing global patents. He too has filed patents in the past apparently.

The shops and vendors who refused to listen, might have regrets soon.

Last edited by HessViper; 10-08-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:14 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
It's been nearly four months since you made those claims. Any substantiation yet, or was that just a "*****-tease" marketing gimmick?
When the product is released you will have your data and answers , just like any other manufacturer.

VR tech
Old 10-08-2018, 04:42 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by HessViper
I have been taught that the reason the cars do this is due to the fact that at speed, they make more positive air pressure in the fender where the vehicle's intake inhales from. This pressure in the fender, causes pressure to build within the manifold after the screws. The car approaches the p0106 limit. As it approaches the p0106 limit, the ecu commands the car to run more rich.

From my observations, this can be witnessed time and time again across this forum, and peoples quarter mile times suffer as a result with mods that cause the car to breathe better on the intake side, thus creating more pressure after the screws at the MAP. This specifically applies to vehicles which were already close to the p0106 limit due to altitude, or cold ambient temps, or intake mods

I am thankful I met the fellow down here in Florida, he seems to understand these cars better than most shops and vendors it seems. Double check his data, but so far, everything everyone is saying on the forum who still has a stock tune, is matching his explanations perfectly.

This of course, is why the cars produce good numbers on the dyno... the car is not at speed, fender is not pressurized in 4th or 5th gear, thus less map pressure, thus the car does not choose to run extra rich, thus the car actually makes more power as it runs leaner on the dyno.

Ironically, he has products he is about to release. Some of you may want to be patient, the guy who solved the p0106 is about to change the game on cars with stock tunes. To make matters more fun, I am experienced in filing global patents. He too has filed patents in the past apparently.

There are many ways to stay away from the limit wile adding power , It's all in the Engineering.
This is for non tuned cars that are not going to custom tune.

The link you provided , I read through it . I did not see or hear him say anything about what I was looking for in his before and after test of that TB or the $3-$12 Duct Mod.

Sorry, I cannot say what I was looking for yet.

BTW: The duct mod won't work as near as well as it could or should for several reasons anyway.
1. It's blocking plenum volume
2. It's to small
3. It's not sealed
Once it's made to work properly they will run into a small list of other issues that will have to be corrected.
Personally , I am all for it. I love to see Z-06 owners getting out and trying new ideas or at least driving these cars as they were meant to be driven.
VR tech
Old 10-08-2018, 04:52 PM
HessViper
Instructor

If your intake flows better, it will allow pressure to be easier built. 1.5PSI additional pressure is what you have already claimed.

On a hot day or at altitude, that is great, it produces more power.

On a cold day at sea level (my contact claims that your intake will put a car into limp mode at anything under 50F degrees at 150mph, every WOT pull, while at sea level. He claims it is impossible that you tested the car in the cold or you would have encountered limp mode if your intake does indeed gain 1.5 psi over the stock intake system)

That will be enough for people to demand a refund if their cars go into limp mode. Assuming you are correct, and you have indeed tested in this condition, are you planning to offer a money back guarantee to anyone who experiences this limp mode as a result of installing your intake onto their stock tune vehicle?

Once you realize we are correct, contact us, as we are filing patents as we speak on the solution... we would be happy to license the technology to you which is needed to solve the problem that you have yet to discover.

We encourage you do further testing

Last edited by HessViper; 10-08-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:45 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by HessViper

Give up on that stuff we heard it all before and are quite glad to hear it no longer. The point your trying to make was never proven and the vendors are quite aware.
Your source talks a big show but that is about it.
AZGASSER (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 07:23 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Let me ask you this , Do you really think that an AIR INDUCTION company that specializes in Ram Air & High Velocity Cold Air Systems hasn't discovered the limp mode you are referring too or how the ECM arrives at the need for it?
We have tested in freezing and Hot conditions over the past year on multiple years of Z-06's . I can assure you, they are far from the same but not for the reasons most may think. This will all be in the data we make public .
You don't need to do 150MPH , you only need to break about 90-93 MPH if your flowing @ 98-100% VE on a stock LT-4 @6,350RPM.

Now We are always looking for new and innovative products .
VR tech
Old 10-08-2018, 10:44 PM
AZGASSER
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 211 Posts

Sounds like one of the former contributors on the Forum has found a puppet. I loved the VaraRam on my C5 but that was N/A. It is nice to see mods that are truly beneficial in gaining performance but until it is in the hands of the end user and real results are scene, you can't blame the forum members from being skeptical. I know I have spent $$$ on mods that did nothing but make my wallet lighter in the end but if you can truly get 60+HP you will have to make a boat load of units. It will be the next big thing on the forum.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:47 PM
MechEngr
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In all seriousness, I am enjoying the education here. There is a lot of good info on this thread that I did not know about.

VR Tech, with the addition of the CAI, I could care less if the intake is so good that it puts the car into limp mode as long as you can tune to alleviate it, because that is what I will do. I want a product for maximum horsepower. I don't want something built to work with the stock tune so we can all save our factory warranties and feel good. We already have that product on the market. I am assuming your product is designed for max performance and you aren't holding back flow to satisfy any factory nannies, correct? I'm trying to catch up with all of the information everyone is presenting and appreciate the discussion.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:07 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

I think when the data is posted from the test cars it will all be very obvious.

VR tech
Old 10-09-2018, 12:11 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by MechEngr
In all seriousness, I am enjoying the education here. There is a lot of good info on this thread that I did not know about.

VR Tech, with the addition of the CAI, I could care less if the intake is so good that it puts the car into limp mode as long as you can tune to alleviate it, because that is what I will do. I want a product for maximum horsepower. I don't want something built to work with the stock tune so we can all save our factory warranties and feel good. We already have that product on the market. I am assuming your product is designed for max performance and you aren't holding back flow to satisfy any factory nannies, correct? I'm trying to catch up with all of the information everyone is presenting and appreciate the discussion.
WE have setup for Both!
I think you will find that what is out currently is not as near as strong as it could have been.

VR Tech

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam Intake claims 60 RWHP, any real world results?

Old 10-09-2018, 12:50 PM
HessViper
Instructor

The MAF does not need to be cheated if instead one cheats the MAP and the o2 sensors for the p0106 and the COT.

We will not discuss COT progress on this forum at this time

The MAP being cheated allows a customer to retain their factory warranty by avoiding the need to tune the vehicle to flow more air and make upwards of 800hp. This has never been done on these vehicles yet in the public realm. The vehicles stock tune is more than capable of handling 800hp worth of air flow past the MAF and will calculate proper afr as it does so, so long as the p0106 code is avoided. Avoiding an unnecessary tune can also save a customer over a thousand dollars in tune and dyno time, this financial benefit stacks on top of the customer may potentially preserve the warranty, as if the cheat device is removed, the stock tune will never sense it was there, so warranty is still in tact.

Judging by your posts thus far, we do not believe you are on the right track VR. You would have known about p0106 before you posted here, and/or you would have asked more questions about it. It has been summer, so you have not gotten a stock vehicle to p0106 at sea level, at least we do not believe you have, therefore, how could you understand it?

Once you realize we are right, you will realize a very specific circuit has to be constructed with exact values and intentions to cheat the MAP on the c7z06, to avoid the p0106 limp mode. Thus, the patent being filed as we speak.

Goodluck.

Last edited by HessViper; 10-09-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:02 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

I am sorry ,but we are not going to give out proprietary Design and Engineering information on a public forum to win an argument.

VR tech
HessViper (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 01:10 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

I am sorry ,but we are not going to give out proprietary Design and Engineering information on a public forum to win an argument.

VR tech
OK, so how about some sort of verification of your claimed results so far?

Quick Reply: Vararam Intake claims 60 RWHP, any real world results?