C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

If the current Z06 has a 50/50 weight distribution, what's the benefit of mid engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 04:00 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I have instructed in a Lambo, a V10 R8 and a Ferrari 458. All of them exhibited handling advantages over my C7Z. They rotated into a turn much easier and with the Ferrari driver who made a major mistake entering a turn the car actually responded to his corrective action and did what he wanted while I thought we were on our way off track. Until you have experienced the turning advantage you won't think that much of a Rear ME car.

Bill
Bill, I am sure you know. But there is more to a complete sports car than one characteristic of its handling envelope.
I know you are a fairly modest fellow and wouldn't brag on your driving skills.
But I am just a sure you are as quick or quicker in your C7Z around any given track.
If you are not, it isn't because of handling, its because the other vehicle has a superior power to weight ratio.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:19 PM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by dar02081961
Many have given you the theory and so forth. We have heard it and argued one way or another for 40 years so I wont go there again.

However I will add this to the conversation. The Corvette has filled a nice niche between exotic super car and an everyday car with super car capabilities.
I for one dont want a mid engine car regardless of its capabilities. Just not fond of driving that layout everyday. And since I do my own maintenance I am not fond of the complexity the mid engine design will add either.

I look at it like this. The 911 layout isnt considered perfect either but they have improved the design over the years to keep it competitive and they have a loyal following.
If they changed the design the followers would raise holy hell. (think 928)

The Corvette is the same in that regard. For over 60 years they have run with the best in the world and have a loyal following.

The mid-engine designs are great and certainly worthy.
However they are not the end all to be all in car design the Italians would have us believe.

The Viper, the Corvette and the Mercedes AMG GT R are all front engine layouts that can go toe to toe with anything in the world.
The only mid-engine layouts that best them are the ones with a superior power to weight ratio.
The mid-engine has advantages in initial acceleration and corner exits however they have disadvantages elsewhere in the envelope.

I am sure the mid-engine Corvette will be a heck of a car.
To me the Corvette has always been an everyday vehicle that does everything required in daily use really well. A practical sports car for the average successful Joe if you will.
Trying to make it an exotic just vacates a niche and leaves many of us loyal fans of the original layout out in the cold.
If many of us wanted mid-engine or rear engine cars we would have them already.

Changing the Corvette layout is getting away from its roots for a marginal gain in capability.
It will undoubtedly change a large percentage of the Corvette customer base as well.
The Corvette is a Chevrolet and not an Italian exotic and some of us fans are just fine with that.

I can eat caviar if I like, but I would much rather have a Texas ribeye and an Idaho potato.
I think there is a lot of merit to what you wrote. There is a lot of merit to what Bill writes too. I have no problem with a Corvette ME, but I would be sad to see Corvette not continue to offer FE model(s) too. Your analogy re the Porsche 911 was quite appropriate IMHO. And it is NOT about this drivel and generic statement I hear so often about mid 60's guys and their "identity crisis." I have had Corvettes since my mid 20's because they were the best bang for the buck. Just bought a '19 manual Z06 and it does not have chrome wheels - it will see some track time.

I get that the ME has better mid corner behavior and can handle more power (better traction) and that's all good. Looking forward to seeing it. But sometimes, just sometimes I do a bit of a reality check to see if 99.9 percent of us will be able to use anywhere close to the 800-1000 h/p power figures I hear tossed around. My last C6 modified Z ran a tad over 600 h/p and I am sure my new Z will present lots of new challenges and learning opportunities.

So bring on the ME, but I hope the FE tradition carries on. If the dual approach is good enough for Ferrari, good enough for me. And I have yet to see and ME that I and the other half could pack enough stuff in (mostly her stuff LoL) for a week trip. I don't do golf...never got into it.
The following 2 users liked this post by NineVettes:
dar02081961 (08-21-2018), nmerhaut (02-03-2019)
Old 08-21-2018, 06:40 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by NineVettes
I think there is a lot of merit to what you wrote. There is a lot of merit to what Bill writes too. I have no problem with a Corvette ME, but I would be sad to see Corvette not continue to offer FE model(s) too. Your analogy re the Porsche 911 was quite appropriate IMHO. And it is NOT about this drivel and generic statement I hear so often about mid 60's guys and their "identity crisis." I have had Corvettes since my mid 20's because they were the best bang for the buck. Just bought a '19 manual Z06 and it does not have chrome wheels - it will see some track time.

I get that the ME has better mid corner behavior and can handle more power (better traction) and that's all good. Looking forward to seeing it. But sometimes, just sometimes I do a bit of a reality check to see if 99.9 percent of us will be able to use anywhere close to the 800-1000 h/p power figures I hear tossed around. My last C6 modified Z ran a tad over 600 h/p and I am sure my new Z will present lots of new challenges and learning opportunities.

So bring on the ME, but I hope the FE tradition carries on. If the dual approach is good enough for Ferrari, good enough for me. And I have yet to see and ME that I and the other half could pack enough stuff in (mostly her stuff LoL) for a week trip. I don't do golf...never got into it.
Yep I pack a lot of stuff in mine just about every weekend. No sports car I know of can carry more.
Would love to have both the FE and the ME. Now that would be my preferred course of action if I where king for a day!!!!!!!

Last edited by dar02081961; 08-22-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:33 AM
E Z06
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

FE Corvette vs mid engine European vehicles fun/ $$$ is a no brainer. Hopefully the ME will hold up to the same value tradition. Roll on Corvette.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:54 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,145 Posts

I have instructed in a Lambo, a V10 R8 and a Ferrari 458. All of them exhibited handling advantages over my C7Z. They rotated into a turn much easier and with the Ferrari driver who made a major mistake entering a turn the car actually responded to his corrective action and did what he wanted while I thought we were on our way off track. Until you have experienced the turning advantage you won't think that much of a Rear ME car.

Bill
Oh i pretty sure if and when the ME comes out, it will be a better handling car than the FE models. All of them.
The following users liked this post:
GTJeff (05-13-2019)
Old 08-23-2018, 08:53 PM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

Most owners, myself included, cannot drive a Z06 at its performance potential, for a variety of reasons such as access, time, and affordability to hone skills on a track. Using even half of the power of the Z06 on the street will put you in the pokey, or even 6 ft under. I bought mine full well knowing something better and faster always comes along, and having heard all the C8 rumors. The Z06 sure is a hoot to drive, though. I can't see that ever changing. I will probably never own another brand new vette, but I sincerely hope the ME vette is a staggering success from launch day one. It should perform well and help lead the way to that all important marketing goal of being able to reach 4 digit HP ratings for a street legal showroom car available for the masses. A new vette for new generations of owners to keep the tradition alive in their own way. Time to pass the baton.
The following 2 users liked this post by Null Pointer:
desmophile (08-27-2018), Mikec7z (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 08:28 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Re the 911, pretty sure the latest RSR is mid engines as well....

lower pollar moment, better rear weight distribution & easier engine packaging (esp with turbos), are just some of the reasons mid engine stuff works. Plus it's just f'ing cool!

be interesting to see what trans options there are availiable! Maybe 4wd?..
Old 08-24-2018, 10:24 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Re the 911, pretty sure the latest RSR is mid engines as well....

lower pollar moment, better rear weight distribution & easier engine packaging (esp with turbos), are just some of the reasons mid engine stuff works. Plus it's just f'ing cool!

be interesting to see what trans options there are availiable! Maybe 4wd?..

exactly why I believe the c8 will be the last hoorah for the Corvette production.

they are definitely saving the best for last. Mid engine. Dual clutch. World class supercar looks. Price will be higher but like I said.

the last hoorah. I cant wait.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:52 PM
mtaylor
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't think the price will be as high as everyone is predicting. Didn't Tadge himself say it would only cost about 5k to move to ME Vette.
Mikec7z (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 03:07 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

agreed, i think it will start in the high 60's or 70's
Old 08-24-2018, 05:30 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
agreed, i think it will start in the high 60's or 70's
The base model definitely. But who buys base anymore?

I was talking about the actual high performance model, whether they still call it a z06 or not, in a ME version, definitely 110k starting IMHO.
Mikec7z (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 05:46 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

that could be
Old 08-24-2018, 05:55 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

I'm just praying for 2 things with the C8.

First i hope it looks good. Because if it's ugly, not sure how i feel about upgrading. Maybe i still will because it'll be newer. And newer is always better.

And i hope they offer a dual clutch if auto, or still have a manual option if no dual clutch.

If no manual and no dual clutch, the C8 will be a failure lol.

But the thought of finally owning a mid engine corvette, is something i'm sure lots of people dream about lol. It's coming true so i hope GM gets this right!
Mikec7z (08-24-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 04:01 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
The base model definitely. But who buys base anymore?

I was talking about the actual high performance model, whether they still call it a z06 or not, in a ME version, definitely 110k starting IMHO.
if GM do move to a smaller TT v8 then it's reasonable to think they will use the same engine for all models and just 'add power'. Look at the current German turbos fast cars and even the Porsche's and McLaren's, all use basically the same engine across the platform and just tuned differently.

Of GM take the same approach then I'm sure the base model could be made to make similar power.

Obviously this is only focusing on power, not handling or braking, but these can be supported by the aftermarket as well.
Mikec7z (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 12:26 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

i think there will be the 4.x and 5.x motors, and that is all, so if the first only has the 4.x, then i do believe the 5.x will be used in the higher models.

I agree what you say about ease of upgrading, however, i think GM does a good job of keeping the value high in their z06 vs the lower models... i think it is worth the money swing (granted, i found a 3lz in the low 70's after discount, so it was only 20 to 30g more for the z06 over a base stingray... probably wont be a common occurrence for such discount with the ME variants coming soon)
Old 08-26-2018, 05:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
i think there will be the 4.x and 5.x motors, and that is all, so if the first only has the 4.x, then i do believe the 5.x will be used in the higher models.

I agree what you say about ease of upgrading, however, i think GM does a good job of keeping the value high in their z06 vs the lower models... i think it is worth the money swing (granted, i found a 3lz in the low 70's after discount, so it was only 20 to 30g more for the z06 over a base stingray... probably wont be a common occurrence for such discount with the ME variants coming soon)
They have a need to preserve the Corvette's ability to boot you in the butt at low rpms. Small displacement motors with turbo's don't necessarily get you the torque you need at the low end where most Corvette drivers run their cars. Out on track the small displacement twin turbo thing works but not so much in the stop light gran prix that most owners live in every work day.

Bill
The following 4 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
JerriVette (08-26-2018), Lavender (08-26-2018), Mikec7z (08-26-2018), Z0HS1CK (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 08:51 PM
Rumba
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default If it sounds like a Ford GT

iI wouldn’t own one. They sound like they fart their way around the track dispite their performance. No six popper for me, twin turbos or not. With a V8 I might in. Just my thoughts.

Paul

Get notified of new replies

To If the current Z06 has a 50/50 weight distribution, what's the benefit of mid engine?

Old 08-27-2018, 12:25 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

They have a need to preserve the Corvette's ability to boot you in the butt at low rpms. Small displacement motors with turbo's don't necessarily get you the torque you need at the low end where most Corvette drivers run their cars. Out on track the small displacement twin turbo thing works but not so much in the stop light gran prix that most owners live in every work day.

Bill
Bill, if they go for an auto/DSG style gearbox the low rpm won't be an issue! 3k rpm will be full boost and give loads of torque! and that's just a drop of gears away!

Have a a look at this tuned GTR that's just has basic bolt ons and stock turbos, over 600lbft from 3k onwards!

http://www.litchfieldmotors.com/niss...stage-upgrades (its stage 4.25)

dont forget thats on a 3.8ltr motor not a 5.xltr motor!
Z0HS1CK (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 02:33 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Nice!!! What a beast.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:26 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

subscribed

Quick Reply: If the current Z06 has a 50/50 weight distribution, what's the benefit of mid engine?