C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Video of really bad GM customer service on Z06 paint issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 05:15 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

the post when you said that you were going to send them the letter is when you got their attention, they will do ANYTHING to prohibit that letter from coming their way because then they are pinned to the wall.

You need to get that letter sent in still, they are trying to trick you out of sending it.
The following users liked this post:
Oneslackr (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 05:21 PM
swaite
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Car is less than 3 months old everything I get moving forward will be in writing. I’m not easily tricked 😉
Old 08-22-2018, 05:23 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by swaite
Car is less than 3 months old everything I get moving forward will be in writing. I’m not easily tricked ��
i understand that, but please understand, the paint peels a year from now... and you send in the letter then... and they don't help you... you are dead in the water. BBB wont help you then. You have to have another failure AFTER the letter has been sent in AND they repaired it AFTER they received the letter. (now is your only chance to make that series of events occur)

now is your time, otherwise, dont come here asking for help later. Instead of long paragraphs from me, youll get a ...

lets say it fails a year from now... and lets say they EVEN repair it again (4th time)...

well, it would still have to fail again (for the 5th time), in the proceeding 9 months (within 2 years from the day you bought it)... and if it fails AFTER the 9 months (2 years from today)... BBB, nor any lawyer.. will help you. The law is the law. And You have a time limit.

It is very foolish to burn the chance to send in the letter now before the 3rd and what should be THE FINAL repair. Letter sent now makes it so that if it fails the 4th time, you are done with this mess. (your STATE'S LAW) You not sending the letter until later makes it so it has to fail 5 times instead.

you aren't allowed to speed.... GM isn't allowed to not fix your car 4 times in a row without buying you a new one. State law. You are forfeiting everything if you don't send that letter in today/tomorrow.

Keep in mind, when you tried to get it fixed, and they did not do it (your recording)... that was a repair ATTEMPT... you are on your third right now if they fix it next week... by law.

and your state might be 18 months, not 2 years, i forget, either way, your clock is ticking.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 08-24-2018 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in the lower right hand corner (the middle icon) to make your responses to more than one person look like this!
Old 08-22-2018, 06:52 PM
Kevin1106
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I feel your pain

Last edited by Kevin1106; 08-22-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:55 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 640 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
here is the address to send it to... had to look back through my paperwork.

Must be sent USPS CERTIFIED WITH SIGNATURE REQUIRED, ENVELOPE

General Motors Company
P.O. BOX 33170
Detroit, MI 48232-5170

In the letter say the dates/times of previous repairs and a brief summary of the situation. Then explain that this is their FINAL ATTEMPT TO REPAIR YOUR VEHICLE.

If you don't have 3 failed repair attempts yet, go to the dealer tomorrow FIRST and request them to fix it, and if they refuse to fix it, get it in writing that you tried to fix it... and if they don't give that you to, get a selfie with the date and time at the dealer... a photo... AND ALSO make a video.

That will qualify as the "3rd repair attempt".

Now GM can't refuse the letter's validity. They might TRY, but BBB will honor your attempt.

If GM refuses it, notify them your next step is you are filing with BBB.

They will put their dumbest employees on the phone and their key line is "im not a lawyer, i know nothing about this stuff"

Record the convo and humor me

Tell the lady when she says that... "thats a shame, that means you will probably be losing in court then, i suggest you put the lawyer on the phone or have him call me back then." She will decline to do that... phone call over. That will be a phonecall where they call you... when the phonecall begins, explain THEY are being recorded. Ask that intelligent creature for her email... and send an email back to her summarizing the phone call. Make the summary perfectly accurate, which is why you want to video record it with another phone. Put her on hold until you get the video ready. The best is when these idiots deny they said things, in the mediation room, and you pull out the video of them saying it, and its legal since you notified them that you were recording. Put the summary in the email, and shoot it back to her so that its documented. Ask them to CONFIRM this is their FINAL ANSWER on repairing your vehicle. The best is when they say you arent allowed to record them, after you notify them you are recording them. Dont worry about them saying that, just keep recording and keep emphasizing you are recording, and if she does not like it, tell her she is welcome to write you an email then.

Their goal is that they are not documented, THEY DO NOT HAVE TO PROVIDE THE RECORDINGS, THEY PLAY STUPID LATER AND BOLD FACE LIE. GET EVERYTHING DOCUMENTED.

Once they confirm that is their answer... whether it is a yes or a no... to fix it again... then you do the next step. If they fix it, wait till it flakes again, and file with BBB. You have 2 years from the time of sale for the paint to fail again. If they dont fix it, then file with BBB immediately.

Now you have a case, ducks in a row, and you will win.

So, you file with the BBB after the above is all completed. BBB does the rest. You will be getting a new vette soon, or your money back... IF gm is dumb enough, not to utilize their FINAL ATTEMPT TO REPAIR your vehicle, OR if they try and the paint fails again.

Make the losers pay for being so stupid. Only way they will correct the problem for other cars moving forward is if their bottom line profits are HURT by not fixing the problem. Buying back cars... HURTS.

This is the only way to make them operate correctly.

I have won lemon cases in the past. I will be winning another here again soon, and so will a few of my buddies. GM's refusal to fix cars is about to cost them dearly.
This advice is right on. One other comment, though. In a lot of states you must tell the person you're recording but not in all. In Georgia for instance, the only requirement on recording a conversation is that you be part of it; you don't have to tell the other participants. I've used this several times in business and when it comes to an arbitration hearing the other side claims they "never said that". The look on their faces is priceless when you produce the recording. They then claim that's illegal and then the judge says" oh, no it isn't". Case closed, you win.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:34 AM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

paint looked perfect when I bought it, paint peeled at the edges after 100 miles. The rest of the issues where caused by crappy repair attempt by Kerbeck.
you can never trust the dealer to do paint work on a high end car.they are not equipped for it.sorry you had to learn that lesson the hard way.i learned that along time ago.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:16 AM
tt350z
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks to hear... I sold one of my BMW M cars to get a Z06 sucks to hear the quality is not good but I kinda expected that part “Chevy” but what I didn’t expect you to say was that they did not help you and have you a hard time? What’s with that USA 🇺🇸? Let’s give some quality control and stand behind are work. Oh well that’s my rant hope it gets fixed correctly and I will have to go over mine before picking up.
Originally Posted by cyi1
That sucks. I feel some of your pain.... I hope you get it all resolved.

I had shitty paint job on my $2000 option visible carbon fiber roof. The hard edge painted line was done horribly on the passenger side. It looks like an amateur did it. I took it to a chevy dealer body shop only to be told by the body shop manager that there was nothing they can do about it. That's when I contacted corporate and they said they go off of the word of the dealership body shop manager. So I took it to other dealerships and they all said the paint job was done poorly but they don't want to touch it out of fear of making it worse and having to replace an entire $4k+ roof because of a bad paint job. The first shop I took it to said they will attempt to fix it but can't guarantee anything and that if it worsens they won't be replacing the top. They even started blaming me towards the end saying maybe I caused it or road debris hit it.

Your paint has a LOT more issues than my 1 roof issue. I just moved on from it and in the future, IF I ever buy another chevy, I will be looking at every single inch of the car inspecting everything before I take delivery. I didn't think I would have to go through all of that on a brand new car, but apparently you can't trust the quality of a $100k car.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:45 AM
swaite
Racer

Both GM and I said this is a recorded call 😉

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
This advice is right on. One other comment, though. In a lot of states you must tell the person you're recording but not in all. In Georgia for instance, the only requirement on recording a conversation is that you be part of it; you don't have to tell the other participants. I've used this several times in business and when it comes to an arbitration hearing the other side claims they "never said that". The look on their faces is priceless when you produce the recording. They then claim that's illegal and then the judge says" oh, no it isn't". Case closed, you win.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:17 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Always one in the crowd!
In no way am I discounting this poor guy's issues with Corvettes but to purchase two different vettes and have major issues with each one to the point where he had to get a lawyer on the first one and now it seems like he is going down the same road on the 2nd one seems rather unusual. I've dealt with Kerbeck for years now and know that they are an outstanding dealership and this will get worked out to the OP's favor in the end. I see a pattern here...It seems as if the OP buys his car out of state, could be a leftover that is deeply discounted or for whatever reason and then has major issues, took the first car to a dealer that sells maybe 4 corvettes a year and probably works on less than that and has major issues, then takes it to another dealer 45 minutes away and gets the issue resolved. Now the 2nd car has issues and Kerbeck doesn't fix it right on the first two attempts? I would be upset too but I think there is more to this story.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:38 AM
swaite
Racer

What more would you like, I bought both cars at Sport Chevy in Maryland. The first one was in 2014 ( no discounts on 14’s they just had the exact color I wanted ) the issue with the first one was the tech screwed the car. On my new Z06 it was a leftover but I did buy at the same dealership and the car is brand new. The paint issues did not present themselves until after I put miles on the car. ( car had less than 10 miles on it ). Where I bought my car should have absolutely no relevance in this issue as it’s a manufacturer defect well documented. I brought the car to Kerbeck after a discussion with GM on how to proceed after noticing the peeling paint.

Now where in any of this do do you find something suspicious??? If you listen to my call I have done everything possible not to go down a litigious route and now that GM is taking this issue seriously as it has gotten a lot of attention they are working to resolving the issue with out going that route.

Originally Posted by direct007
In no way am I discounting this poor guy's issues with Corvettes but to purchase two different vettes and have major issues with each one to the point where he had to get a lawyer on the first one and now it seems like he is going down the same road on the 2nd one seems rather unusual. I've dealt with Kerbeck for years now and know that they are an outstanding dealership and this will get worked out to the OP's favor in the end. I see a pattern here...It seems as if the OP buys his car out of state, could be a leftover that is deeply discounted or for whatever reason and then has major issues, took the first car to a dealer that sells maybe 4 corvettes a year and probably works on less than that and has major issues, then takes it to another dealer 45 minutes away and gets the issue resolved. Now the 2nd car has issues and Kerbeck doesn't fix it right on the first two attempts? I would be upset too but I think there is more to this story.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:59 AM
swaite
Racer

direct007 you are welcome to come see the total crap job Kerbeck did on the second repaint since you seem to spend a lot of time at that dealership. I will be at the dealership Monday at 10:30 am meeting with the GM rep. I will
also be at Carlisle on Sunday with my car if anyone would like to see what the Kerbeck bodyshop passed off as a completed job.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:11 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Thanks. Let us know how you make out after your meeting on Monday.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:56 AM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by direct007
2 cars with issues. OP is definitely exhibiting a pattern of misbehavior lol
Old 08-23-2018, 12:10 PM
NA FURY
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 42 Posts

Has anybody tried going a route different than what the TSB calls for to address this problem, such as sanding/shaving the fender edges down to prevent rubbing and addressing the chipping/peeling just in these small areas (e.g., chip repair)? It seems that would avoid the need to completely re-spray the panels and end up with a bigger problem like the OP.

I completely agree that it is ridiculous for this to happen and that GM should be responsible, but is there another path of least resistance to an acceptable result?
Old 08-23-2018, 12:19 PM
swaite
Racer

You can’t effectively blend clear coat as far as I have seen without having some marks. Plus some colors, especially metallics don’t lend themselves to spot repair.

Originally Posted by CalculatingInfinity
Has anybody tried going a route different than what the TSB calls for to address this problem, such as sanding/shaving the fender edges down to prevent rubbing and addressing the chipping/peeling just in these small areas (e.g., chip repair)? It seems that would avoid the need to completely re-spray the panels and end up with a bigger problem like the OP.

I completely agree that it is ridiculous for this to happen and that GM should be responsible, but is there another path of least resistance to an acceptable result?
Old 08-23-2018, 12:44 PM
NA FURY
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 42 Posts

You can’t effectively blend clear coat as far as I have seen without having some marks. Plus some colors, especially metallics don’t lend themselves to spot repair.

I had assumed that and while the result may not be perfect I was thinking that perhaps it may be acceptable if a skilled body shop or detailer did it being that it is an edge as opposed to an area in the middle of a panel. I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the same issue on my 2019 with 20 miles while avoiding an insane headache.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:17 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Good luck. Horrible customer service.

Get notified of new replies

To Video of really bad GM customer service on Z06 paint issues

Old 08-23-2018, 01:30 PM
swaite
Racer

Request a factory painted replacement bumper, unfortunately my color is discontinued or that is what I would have

Originally Posted by CalculatingInfinity
I had assumed that and while the result may not be perfect I was thinking that perhaps it may be acceptable if a skilled body shop or detailer did it being that it is an edge as opposed to an area in the middle of a panel. I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the same issue on my 2019 with 20 miles while avoiding an insane headache.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:26 PM
Gvnski
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

In my opinion once you allowed the dealer to attempt repair you took GM out of the picture, they are not going to be responsible for someone else's work. Just my opinion, everyone has one.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:40 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Gvnski
In my opinion once you allowed the dealer to attempt repair you took GM out of the picture, they are not going to be responsible for someone else's work. Just my opinion, everyone has one.
How about if this was a GM approved dealer or repair facility? Is GM still out of the picture? I wouldn't think so.
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (08-24-2018)

Quick Reply: Video of really bad GM customer service on Z06 paint issues