C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Possibly considering selling my Z06

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 04:57 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,516 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Default Possibly considering selling my Z06

Y'all might have this happen to you as well. I haven't really been looking to sell my Z06, I'm very happy with it, but I get asked every once in a while if I would. Well there have been 4 guys in the last 2 weeks contact me about it. The market seems kinda low right now. I guess bc of the ZR1? Don't know. Anybody else been running into this. I take my car from coast to coast and enjoy it in many different ways. I've asked my sponsors if they would continue with a new owner and they seem to be eager to do that. If I were to sell it I guess I would look into a ZR!, but that would be going backwards as far as power goes and I've spent 3 years getting my Z06 to the level it is now. And I'm supposed to have it in SEMA again this year, been there the past 2 years. And I still see it from time to in the 2 Advance Auto Parts TV commercials it's in and we have fun with that. I guess I'm just asking for opinions?
I know the new ZR1'a are nice, but I'm not certain I want to start over with a new car again for now. And it doesn't seem to be in my DNA to leave anything stock. Lol
Old 08-31-2018, 05:47 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Meh...the z06 absolutely screams on backroads and the track, does everything I want and looks amazing. For a little money in the aftermarket I can build my own “weissach” pack. Not interested in trading out so soon, took me 10 years to finally decide on a sports car so I’m keeping it awhile in spite of a few issues like timing pull on hot days. Do you though!
The following users liked this post:
Thomasmoto (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 05:52 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,287 Likes on 2,204 Posts

Getting a ZR1 is not going backwards, it only goes foward.

Even if your Z makes 1200rwhp, the warranty is non existent anymore.

A ZR1 might not have as much power as your Z now, but it makes a lot of power stock, all with a warranty and AC. Not to mention it's the top of the line corvette. So there is no such thing as going backwards coming from a z06. You might have a "slower" car, in a straight line. But everything else with the ZR1 is advanced compared to the Z06.

I say do it because you only live once. Trust me once you ponder the idea of selling or trading, you're only prolonging the inevitable. Let it happen now, that way you already jump started the fun with the ZR1.

I would have been upgraded to the ZR1, but i have patience. And i'm waiting what the C8 brings before i make my next car move.

I was going to trade my Z for a V3 CTS-V in white. It looks so damn good. But the trans and wanting to have a dedicated weekend car is what's stopping me. Moreso with the trans, because it's poop lol
Thomasmoto (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 06:11 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Default C8

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
Getting a ZR1 is not going backwards, it only goes foward.

Even if your Z makes 1200rwhp, the warranty is non existent anymore.

A ZR1 might not have as much power as your Z now, but it makes a lot of power stock, all with a warranty and AC. Not to mention it's the top of the line corvette. So there is no such thing as going backwards coming from a z06. You might have a "slower" car, in a straight line. But everything else with the ZR1 is advanced compared to the Z06.

I say do it because you only live once. Trust me once you ponder the idea of selling or trading, you're only prolonging the inevitable. Let it happen now, that way you already jump started the fun with the ZR1.

I would have been upgraded to the ZR1, but i have patience. And i'm waiting what the C8 brings before i make my next car move.

I was going to trade my Z for a V3 CTS-V in white. It looks so damn good. But the trans and wanting to have a dedicated weekend car is what's stopping me. Moreso with the trans, because it's poop lol
Your points are well taken.
I've improved my car by far more than just hp & trqe so it isn't just straight line performance that's different, but I get what you mean. In fact my car makes much more torque than hp and I wanted it that way so it would excel on the road course. The boys at Comp Cam really know what they are doing. I've been using their cams for 40 years and never have had a bad experience. And my a/c works as good as it did when new.
Warranty doesn't mean a thing to me. I toasted mine 2 years ago. I just take the expenses as the cost of the pleasure I get from them. I'm a nut on maintenance as well. I change fluids and filters like most people change underwear. Lol So spending money on my car is SOP. And I've learned the value and proper way to utilize sponsors and lessen the burden of costs to do what I like to do. It's all about return on investment and I know how to do that. I really enjoy it.
BTW I heard from Stingray Chevrolet in Plant City, Fl that they are taking deposits on C8's if you are interested.

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by Thomasmoto; 08-31-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Z0HS1CK (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 07:02 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
Your points are well taken.
I've improved my car by far more than just hp & trqe so it isn't just straight line performance that's different, but I get what you mean. In fact my car makes much more torque than hp and I wanted it that way so it would excel on the road course. The boys at Comp Cam really know what they are doing. I've been using their cams for 40 years and never have had a bad experience. And my a/c works as good as it did when new.
Warranty doesn't mean a thing to me. I toasted mine 2 years ago. I just take the expenses as the cost of the pleasure I get from them. I'm a nut on maintenance as well. I change fluids and filters like most people change underwear. Lol So spending money on my car is SOP. And I've learned the value and proper way to utilize sponsors and lessen the burden of costs to do what I like to do. It's all about return on investment and I know how to do that. I really enjoy it.
BTW I heard from Stingray Chevrolet in Plant City, Fl that they are taking deposits on C8's if you are interested.

Thanks for your reply.
The AC thing was just something old school car guys talk about. It's always warranty and AC that go together. Back in the day the AC was always removed from your "race car" because it saves weight and clears up the engine bay lol. You know how many cars had no AC because i wanted a "cool race car"?

Those days are over. Now it's all about warranty and having that AC

Warranty might not be a big deal to some, but it is to most. The LT4's aren't exactly cheap. And even if you did all your modifications and tuning done right, still doesn't mean nothing will go wrong. Maybe there was an underlying issue with your car from day 1, and was slowly getting worse and worse.

That was the case with my friend's STI. He had the car for 1 year, everything was perfect. I think he put 11k miles in that first year. No mods, bone stock. Everything was great.

He only added an accessport and an intake. And about 2000 miles later the engine started to knock. Apparently those engines have that issue.

But because he had an accessport on the car, they didn't grant him a replacement engine. He had to spend i believe 8 grand out of his own pocket to have the engine replaced. And the accessport was not the cause of the problem, but of course no dealer will want to take blame for any catastrophes so they blamed it on the accessport. Everything is recorded into the ECU, even if you return the tune back to stock, the dealers still know if any changes were ever made.

I assume that same type of technology is the same in our cars. Even if we tune, then go back to stock tune to get repairs, GM can still know if the ECU was ever flashed.

So that's why warranty is a big deal. Especially if you just got the car.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:25 PM
GeorgeR_Zed06
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

Sounds to me like you already answered your own question about selling it, lol! Good luck to ya....
Old 09-03-2018, 01:37 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

the zr1 cant be tuned yet, and may never be as the computers are a network and if you crack one, the others know, and get mad and ruin your tuning aspirations quickly.

Anyway, i think the zr1 will be old news as soon as the c8 hits. And, while many may argue against this, i still stand firm that in 2021, there will be a c8 front engine car. I believe if someone wants a front engine vette, that will be the ride to buy and destroy our current cars and have a better weight balance than the 19 zr1. We are a year and a half from that announcement. Time flies, i would be patient if I were in your shoes.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:06 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
the zr1 cant be tuned yet, and may never be as the computers are a network and if you crack one, the others know, and get mad and ruin your tuning aspirations quickly.

Anyway, i think the zr1 will be old news as soon as the c8 hits. And, while many may argue against this, i still stand firm that in 2021, there will be a c8 front engine car. I believe if someone wants a front engine vette, that will be the ride to buy and destroy our current cars and have a better weight balance than the 19 zr1. We are a year and a half from that announcement. Time flies, i would be patient if I were in your shoes.
I won't say the ZR1 will be old news, but the noise will definitely be lessen quite a bit.

Whenever anything new hits the floor, previous models are temporarily forgotten. Notice how mostly everyone forgot about the C6 ZR1 when the C7Z came out. Now about 5 years into the C7Z production run and people are starting to look back at the C6 ZR1 and how amazing it was.

If GM doesn't put out a FE C8 model, you can be sure the buzz for the C7 ZR1 will restart again. And even if they do put out an FE model, i don't think it will reach the performance heights they did with the C7 ZR1. If anything, the high performance figures will be saved for the ME model.

That's why i strongly believe GM is saving their best for last, as i think there won't be a C9 corvette. The C8 will be the last hoorah. IMHO.

And with all things considered, the C7 already captured a very strong fanbase already. And the C7 ZR1 is the corvette king of the C7, and still to this day until GM puts something crazy for their future gen.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:32 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

How about sell it and get a new Z06 to build?
Old 09-04-2018, 10:09 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

That's why i strongly believe GM is saving their best for last, as i think there won't be a C9 corvette. The C8 will be the last hoorah. IMHO.
im mind blown by the idea that one would believe a c9 vette wont exist. Why would Gm drop a respected model? I disagree completely.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 09-04-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:33 AM
Z06*Mike
Heel & Toe

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe I'll see you out on the roads sometime. I am in Taylors, SC...
Old 09-04-2018, 10:55 AM
pushc6
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The C8 will be the last hoorah. IMHO.
No way. GM wouldn't have done all the R&D, factory expansion and tooling to build the ME c8 only to throw the Corvette brand away after it had it's run. To the contrary, I think this shows that GM is going to keep the Corvette going for a long while. If they were really thinking about throwing in the towel soon, they wouldn't make the ME C8 it's swan song. They would have built something more traditional.

Last edited by pushc6; 09-04-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:19 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Default Z06

Originally Posted by Z06*Mike
Maybe I'll see you out on the roads sometime. I am in Taylors, SC...
I'll keep a look out for you. What color is your Z06?
Old 09-04-2018, 11:23 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Default Z06

Originally Posted by GeorgeR_Zed06
Sounds to me like you already answered your own question about selling it, lol! Good luck to ya....
Actually I'm more conflicted than ever. Lol

ZR1 prices should start declining next spring. I'm patient.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:41 AM
Z06*Mike
Heel & Toe

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
I'll keep a look out for you. What color is your Z06?
All Black w/ red calipers. Came from the BMW world of M cars. Recently got rid of my M5 and haven't looked back.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:47 AM
E Z06
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Go for it.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
im mind blown by the idea that one would believe a c9 vette wont exist. Why would Gm drop a respected model? I disagree completely.

I think about the evolution of the automotive industry. Look at how they "might" get rid of the ford v8? And soon the viper v10 will be discontinued.

You think, from a CORVETTE ENTHUSIAST standpoint, that you're willing to buy a corvette model, if it doesn't have a v8 anymore? Or what about no more FE models? Maybe everything from the C8 on (if it continues), will be some ecoboost v6's?

Look at the feedback now about the C8 possibly not offering an FE model, people are saying, "nah i won't buy it, i'll stick with the C7" etc.

As technology, innovation and evolution of this industry moves foward, whose not to say that they will make the V8 obsolete? And continue their power and fuel efficiency towards turbo engines. Perhaps a twin turbo V6. Is that how you want to see the corvette brand continue on?

Imagine if the mustang stopped it's V8 production at the debut year they introduced the 4 and 6cyl models. Can you imagine what mustang enthusiasts, fans, past and future possible owners will think if they want to build up their new mustang, and there was no v8 option?

We don't know what the future lies. Because if you think about it. They are exceeding soo many expectations that if there is a C9, what will be the peak number be? A 1050hp mid engine 7 liter twin turbo V8? No way.

The peak is in the C8, and i think that will be the final bow for the corvette run. IMHO.

Get notified of new replies

To Possibly considering selling my Z06

Old 06-21-2019, 09:57 PM
spencer.367
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think about the evolution of the automotive industry. Look at how they "might" get rid of the ford v8? And soon the viper v10 will be discontinued.

You think, from a CORVETTE ENTHUSIAST standpoint, that you're willing to buy a corvette model, if it doesn't have a v8 anymore? Or what about no more FE models? Maybe everything from the C8 on (if it continues), will be some ecoboost v6's?

Look at the feedback now about the C8 possibly not offering an FE model, people are saying, "nah i won't buy it, i'll stick with the C7" etc.

As technology, innovation and evolution of this industry moves foward, whose not to say that they will make the V8 obsolete? And continue their power and fuel efficiency towards turbo engines. Perhaps a twin turbo V6. Is that how you want to see the corvette brand continue on?

Imagine if the mustang stopped it's V8 production at the debut year they introduced the 4 and 6cyl models. Can you imagine what mustang enthusiasts, fans, past and future possible owners will think if they want to build up their new mustang, and there was no v8 option?

We don't know what the future lies. Because if you think about it. They are exceeding soo many expectations that if there is a C9, what will be the peak number be? A 1050hp mid engine 7 liter twin turbo V8? No way.

The peak is in the C8, and i think that will be the final bow for the corvette run. IMHO.

I've only worked in automotive for a few years and I've definitely picked up on industry fads the duration of my abuse - successful programs are designed to last about six years. What I've noticed regarding program lifecycles and most especially with Honda and Chevrolet is that they begin their new programs about two years after the release of the last. I started working on the ZERV back in 2016 - the tooling for the in-panel, the redesigning of the HUD, the programming of the cluster, etc. - and I recall seeing the C7 on the front of an old Popular Mechanics magazine that I had from 2015. I've always loved Corvettes, but I never really payed attention to the C7 until that cover caught my eye.

In the context of my relationship to the Corvette programs, I'd been working on projects without ever really knowing what it is that I'd been working on. Until I ran into graphics, or the program was explicit to the model of vehicle, all I knew was the manufacturer and program code that I was doing work for. For instance the PHEV is an electric hybrid of the Honda Civic better known to me as the K2XX in 2014 - the ZERV is the Chevrolet Corvette equivalent better known to me as the Y2XX.

The customers give us work, and even in the design stage the programs are only enumerated by an array of often arbitrary numbers - how the heck are we supposed to know, and who really cares until the models come to life? To my point, there will only be three trims of the C8 based on the work that I'd done with the program. If my point seems somewhat convoluded, I'll clarify by reiterating that these programs and most especially their product lifecycles are designed. Come to your own conclusion about the future holding a C9 - I'd not bet against it begining development in 2021.

23/C8Z (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 08:20 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

Good info but this thread is almost a year old...
Old 06-23-2019, 11:48 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,799 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Wow. Some cool insight

Quick Reply: Possibly considering selling my Z06