C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Stage 1 Aero vs. Stage 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 11:03 AM
GS583
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Stage 1 Aero vs. Stage 2

I presently own a 2017 GS with Stage 2 Carbon Flash Aero. Is the Stage 1 Aero side ground effects on the ZO6 long enough to keep rock chips from occurring on the brake cooling vent area? My car has developed no issues in this section but my being "old" it appears the Stage 1 might make for slightly easier entrance/exit.

Last edited by GS583; 09-09-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:46 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by GS583
I presently own a 2017 GS with Stage 2 Carbon Flash Aero. Is the Stage 1 Aero side ground effects on the ZO6 long enough to keep rock chips from occurring on the brake cooling vent area? My car has developed no issues in this section but my being "old" it appears the Stage 1 might make for slightly easier entrance/exit.
IMHO The side skirts offer the protection for the rear brake vents not the trim level. Trim level is useless for street use and it a wind drag only beyond some garnish for looks. Street cars are better of with stage 1.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The side skirts don't fully protect the side of the car. It hasn't got anything to do with how long the skirts are but with how wide they are at the front wheel well opening. The standard Stage 2/3 skirts narrow at the front and debris from the front tires blows right by them right into the brake duct area. I placed the camera lens of my iPhone in the inlet to the brake duct and took a picture looking forward to the front tire. The picture clearly shows a direct line of sight from the point where the tire touches the ground and from where dirt would be thrown tangentially into the duct/door/quarter panel area. I have the ACS wide mud guards on the car and they don't totally block the debris because they don't go low enough. You can duplicate this picture on your car by using your cell phone in the same way so you can see how wide and how low things need to be. I do know there is an aftermarket side skirt that is wide at the front since a buddy has them on his car. His side skirt does block the debris path because it doesn't narrow as it approaches the front wheel well opening.

This is the picture I took showing the Stage 2/3 side skirts, the ACS mud guards are highlighted with the green tape. The vertical green line shows the outer edge of the stock tire on the stock wheel. The red arrow shows the point where the tire touches the ground and the green triangle shown at the tip of that arrow is the portion of the tire exposed to the brake duct at the rear of the car. As the front tire rotates forward it will throw dirt on a tangent as the tire rotates forward off the ground right into that brake duct area and somewhat above and below it. Basically it will get anything from the rocker panels up to as high as the top of the rear wheel well opening and diagonally across the door from about 6 inches in front of the door opening seam at the rear of the door.

A forum member has posted instructions on how to modify an O Reilly Auto Parts standard front mud guard so it blocks the debris path. You can do a search for that thread.

If somebody tells you the side skirts work for them they don't know what they are talking about as the picture makes clear the debris can get through. I have all sorts of holes and abrasion on the Expel that I had installed in that area to prove the skirts don't stop the damage.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Oneslackr (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 03:11 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The side skirts don't fully protect the side of the car. It hasn't got anything to do with how long the skirts are but with how wide they are at the front wheel well opening. The standard Stage 2/3 skirts narrow at the front and debris from the front tires blows right by them right into the brake duct area. I placed the camera lens of my iPhone in the inlet to the brake duct and took a picture looking forward to the front tire. The picture clearly shows a direct line of sight from the point where the tire touches the ground and from where dirt would be thrown tangentially into the duct/door/quarter panel area. I have the ACS wide mud guards on the car and they don't totally block the debris because they don't go low enough. You can duplicate this picture on your car by using your cell phone in the same way so you can see how wide and how low things need to be. I do know there is an aftermarket side skirt that is wide at the front since a buddy has them on his car. His side skirt does block the debris path because it doesn't narrow as it approaches the front wheel well opening.

This is the picture I took showing the Stage 2/3 side skirts, the ACS mud guards are highlighted with the green tape. The vertical green line shows the outer edge of the stock tire on the stock wheel. The red arrow shows the point where the tire touches the ground and the green triangle shown at the tip of that arrow is the portion of the tire exposed to the brake duct at the rear of the car. As the front tire rotates forward it will throw dirt on a tangent as the tire rotates forward off the ground right into that brake duct area and somewhat above and below it. Basically it will get anything from the rocker panels up to as high as the top of the rear wheel well opening and diagonally across the door from about 6 inches in front of the door opening seam at the rear of the door.

A forum member has posted instructions on how to modify an O Reilly Auto Parts standard front mud guard so it blocks the debris path. You can do a search for that thread.

If somebody tells you the side skirts work for them they don't know what they are talking about as the picture makes clear the debris can get through. I have all sorts of holes and abrasion on the Expel that I had installed in that area to prove the skirts don't stop the damage.

Bill
You track your car so you are the one full of beans here! If you street drive your car on stock MPSS tires with the side skirts and GM splash gurads you will suffer no damage. I can show you one car with 33k and not 1 chip on either side on the brake vent area.Then another with 6k and perfect clean sides on both cars!
Tracking trashes the sides a lot worse! You must be kidding?????? I bought a tracked C6 Z06 and the whole side below the mid door was road rash!
That car had 6k my 40k car was cleaner Never buy a tracked car is my moto! There is your lesson for the day!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 09-09-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:33 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

i have a 17 z06 with the stage 1 aero and I guess stage one side skirts. It’s still a pain to get in and out of. Especially if you don’t want to scuff up the door sill or side seat bolster. I actually think the cars look better with no skirt. I would prefer no skirt and no spoiler or a tiny spoiler in the deck as the c6z06. The car would go faster but not be great on the track with less downforce. Or that’s what the experts here have schooled me in.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 09-09-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:23 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

The longer stage 2 side skirts will not protect the side any better. It's the width of the skirt upfront near the wheel that would make a big difference. I did add the OEM splash guards.

To get in and out just move the seat all the way back. The c6 would auto the seat back when you exit and the c7 doesn't do that.

I am waiting on a stage two front spoiler. The unpainted stage one looks cheap.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:45 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
You track your car so you are the one full of beans here! If you street drive your car on stock MPSS tires with the side skirts and GM splash gurads you will suffer no damage. I can show you one car with 33k and not 1 chip on either side on the brake vent area.Then another with 6k and perfect clean sides on both cars!
Tracking trashes the sides a lot worse! You must be kidding?????? I bought a tracked C6 Z06 and the whole side below the mid door was road rash!
That car had 6k my 40k car was cleaner Never buy a tracked car is my moto! There is your lesson for the day!
Originally Posted by RegnaR
The longer stage 2 side skirts will not protect the side any better. It's the width of the skirt upfront near the wheel that would make a big difference. I did add the OEM splash guards.

To get in and out just move the seat all the way back. The c6 would auto the seat back when you exit and the c7 doesn't do that.

I am waiting on a stage two front spoiler. The unpainted stage one looks cheap.
I got "17 Z06 stage 1 aero, 5k miles so far and no dings or anything too.

Top of the rear wheels I do see lines of scratches/scrapes. Saw a few of them over times, I guess it's from the rocks from the MPSS st use? Do you guys get that too.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:25 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I installed the ACS side skirts on my car as soon as I got it and don't have any chips after 5000 miles. Personally, I don't think they make it any more difficult to get in or out of the car and I don't have any scuff marks. .

Last edited by DevilDog II; 09-10-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:21 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I installed the ACS side skirts on my car as soon as I got it and don't have any chips after 5000 miles. Personally, I don't think they make it any more difficult to get in or out of the car and I don't have any scuff marks. .
I took the ACS side skirts to the dealer on delivery and they put them on my 2-15 My car was delivered with shadows in the silver so my shop resprayed the car. But that was 25k ago and still no chips on the sides.
I bought a 2017 with the carbon flash 3/4 skirts and like that look better and they still protect so I added a set of those to my 2017..
tcotta411 (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 07:29 AM
tcotta411
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

If anyone is interested, I have new, never installed OEM 3/4 carbon flash skirts/rockers for sale. All hardware included.
PM me for details.
RegnaR (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 08:47 AM
BladeZ06
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

[QUOTE=RegnaR;1597952994
[/QUOTE]

Is your car a 2LZ or 3LZ with memory seats? If so they can be setup to move the seat back. There is a memory setting for "entry/exit". I have my seat move as far back as it can without going to bind and my wheel to move in and up. I works every time.

Last edited by BladeZ06; 09-12-2018 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Grammar
RegnaR (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 08:46 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by BladeZ06
Is you are a 2LZ or 3LZ with memory seats? If so they can be setup to move the seat back. There is a memory setting for "entry/exit". I have my seat move as far back as it can without going to bind and my wheel to move in and up. I works every time.
yeah its a 2lz, will have to try again. I was told it would not move the seat back on its own.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:16 PM
BladeZ06
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by RegnaR
yeah its a 2lz, will have to try again. I was told it would not move the seat back on its own.
Found a youtube video.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ing-guide.html

One thing that is very important is that the seat cannot bind or it will not work.
RegnaR (09-12-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Stage 1 Aero vs. Stage 2

Quick Reply: Stage 1 Aero vs. Stage 2