C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Unexpected brief surge in power

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 09:55 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

Default Unexpected brief surge in power

Recently I've noticed that upon very light throttle in 1st, and sometimes in other gears but 1st is more noticeable, I feel an unexpected surge in power (kick in the pants). This occurs more often right after the car is started. It almost feels like the boost jumps for half a second or so and then returns to normal as I continue applying throttle. Obviously I haven't had my eye on the boost guage to see if it jumps. I guess a misbehaving throttle sensor could cause some weird things too.

And no, it is not the infamous throttle tip-in issue. I have a ported MAMO but haven't been running it for months for other reasons.

Have you folks ever noticed something like this? I wish I could remember what it felt like new but heck that was way back last year. : )
Old 10-11-2018, 09:23 AM
silver74vette
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I have a Mamo TB as well and get this "kick" when the car is cold, once it warms it goes away. My guess is that it is running rich during warm up and the kick is the engine going through the most efficient mixture as the throttle closes.
My "kick" is just enough to notice, not cause any issues with driving. Once the car is warm it is no longer an issue.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:50 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Torch-Red-Z06
Recently I've noticed that upon very light throttle in 1st, and sometimes in other gears but 1st is more noticeable, I feel an unexpected surge in power (kick in the pants). This occurs more often right after the car is started. It almost feels like the boost jumps for half a second or so and then returns to normal as I continue applying throttle. Obviously I haven't had my eye on the boost guage to see if it jumps. I guess a misbehaving throttle sensor could cause some weird things too.

And no, it is not the infamous throttle tip-in issue. I have a ported MAMO but haven't been running it for months for other reasons.

Have you folks ever noticed something like this? I wish I could remember what it felt like new but heck that was way back last year. : )
You're noticing this with the stock throttle body?

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 10-11-2018, 10:24 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Leaking nitrous solenoid.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:21 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
You're noticing this with the stock throttle body?
Yes, stock TB. Bone stock.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:44 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Torch-Red-Z06
Yes, stock TB. Bone stock.
It could be a vacuum leak somewhere. Unmetered air getting in, ECU tries to pull spark to slow the engine down, then at a certain throttle point it adds all that spark back at once and it feels like a surge.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:00 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
It could be a vacuum leak somewhere. Unmetered air getting in, ECU tries to pull spark to slow the engine down, then at a certain throttle point it adds all that spark back at once and it feels like a surge.
Thanks! Maybe I created an issue when I put my stock TB back on a while back.

Get notified of new replies

To Unexpected brief surge in power

Quick Reply: Unexpected brief surge in power