C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Michelin Pilot 4S fitment in Z06 size?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 01:51 AM
hubris140
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Michelin Pilot 4S fitment in Z06 size?

Hi folks

I found Pilot 4S tires in the 345x30x20 and 285x35x19 on tire rack:
Front
Rear

Has anyone tried mounting these tires on the OEM Z06 wheels (20 spoke)? Do they fit correctly? The rears seem wider and fronts seem to have a taller sidewall. Last I heard, the 4S was not being offered in stock Z06 sizes. What gives?
Old 10-14-2018, 02:21 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

It doesn't have the performance of the Z06 PSS ZP tires.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Super Spartan (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 01:36 PM
hubris140
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Oh, my understanding was that the 4S was the next step in the pilot super sport line and assumed it would be better than the PSS. Is that not right?
Old 10-14-2018, 01:54 PM
SoCalFinest
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by hubris140
Oh, my understanding was that the 4S was the next step in the pilot super sport line and assumed it would be better than the PSS. Is that not right?
That is correct, they stop making the Pilot Super Sports and the 4s is the replacement.. my opinion so far, EXCELLENT tires and does exceptional in rain.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:45 PM
rcgldr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

The run flat Michelin Super Sports, 285/30/19/ZP part number 05916 and 335/25/20/ZP part number 02430 are OEM tires for the C7 Z06 without Z07, supposedly with more grip than the non-run flat 4S tires in slightly different sizes (like 345?? for the rears). I did a chat with Michelin asking about when the 4S replacement for these tires might be released, and the response was probably next year, but based on Murphy's law, my feeling is the 4S will get released within a month just after I buy a new set of the SS tires.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:07 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It doesn't have the performance of the Z06 PSS ZP tires.

Bill
As others have mentioned, Bill the 4S is apparently better than the SS in every way. Except for the fact it’s not made in the correct sizing for the car! lol
Old 10-14-2018, 09:07 PM
rcgldr
Racer

Originally Posted by thebishman
As others have mentioned, Bill the 4S is apparently better than the SS in every way. Except for the fact it’s not made in the correct sizing for the car.
Not according to the guy in the video linked to below, although he admits that the temperature was colder and is part of the reason the 4S lap was 2:07 versus 2:02 with the SS. When Michelin does make a 4S replacement for the C7 Z06 OEM SS tires, it should have the same or more grip. Since the 4S is a "summer" tire, (as opposed to an all season tire like the AS3+), I would assume the 4S would not sacrifice dry / warm grip for better wet / cold grip.

Last edited by rcgldr; 10-14-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:24 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

So much mis-information here...

Lets start with the fact that the 4S is not correct sizing for the C7 Z.

Next, the Michelin tires on the Corvette are specifically made for Corvette. So comparing any tire tests, unless specifically comparing to the TPC spec tire, is pointless. The MPSS and MPSC TPC spec are different than the standard MPSS and MPSC.

Finally, the 4S are not an upgrade in every way over the PSS. They lost a fraction of dry capability, but gained a mountain of wet weather traction.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:06 PM
SoCalFinest
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm no Randy Pobst but the 4S are exceptional. Even if the SS are slightly better or slightly worse it's not an issue since I won't be tracking in them. One guy's review does not confirm it.. So many great reviews why the 4S are better than the SS but in the end of the day, they are just reviews.

But what you like, you can't go wrong with either.

Now this is a good review, goes into detail with structure, testing, wet and dry, etc.
[url=http://​​​​​​​[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kasI6HtxcH0[/ame] ]​​​​​​​

Last edited by SoCalFinest; 10-14-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:08 PM
rcgldr
Racer

Originally Posted by atljar
Finally, the 4S are not an upgrade in every way over the PSS. They lost a fraction of dry capability, but gained a mountain of wet weather traction.
I wasn't aware of this. Since the 4S is a "summer" tire, as opposed to an all season tire like the AS3+, I assumed that it wouldn't sacrifice dry grip for wet grip. Since the current SS ZP tires are OEM tires for the C7 Z06, I also assumed they have better grip than the standard SS tires.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:43 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

As others have mentioned, Bill the 4S is apparently better than the SS in every way. Except for the fact it’s not made in the correct sizing for the car! lol
It is better than the PSS not the PSS ZP. The PSS ZP has a different rubber compound than the PSS. Read Michelin's description for the PSS ZP. When you lean on the tire in a corner it won't grip as well as the PSS ZP. PSS ZP is a damned good tire.

Michelin's marketing for both tires:
All versions of the Pilot Super Sport ZP employ an asymmetric tread design that features a low-void outboard shoulder for cornering while their notched center ribs and inboard shoulder promote high-speed performance in dry conditions. Wide circumferential grooves and lateral notches help channel water through the footprint to maintain wet traction. Sizes for the standard C7 Corvette use a single tread rubber compound that blends dry traction, wet traction and treadlife; while the sizes for Z51-equipped and Z06 models feature side-by-side tread compounds. Different from the standard Pilot Super Sport tread compounds, one is designed and manufactured in the U.S. specifically for the C7 Corvette, and the other is made for racing applications by the same people and equipment that produce the compounds in Michelin´s Le Mans-wining race tires. The two combine to deliver near-racing-slick dry grip and handling levels, without abandoning tread life and wet handling.

The asymmetric tread pattern of the Pilot Sport 4S features side-by-side, 24 Hours of Le Mans-derived compounds. The low-void outer shoulder utilizes a new dry-focused hybrid tread rubber for improved dry handling and braking over the previous generation tire, while the center ribs and inboard shoulder feature a silica-infused wet compound designed to increase wet braking performance. The computer-modeled Variable Contact Patch 3.0 optimizes pressure distribution across the contact patch through turns, reducing hot spots and improving tire life during aggressive use.

That near racing slick description for the PSS ZP shows up on track. One of our forum members turned a 2 minute flat lap at VIR with the PSS ZP. On the same car he ran 1:59 with Cup2s, Hoosiers or Pirelli Slicks. I think I will stick with the PSS ZP when it comes time to change.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 10-15-2018 at 01:46 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:50 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by SoCalFinest
I'm no Randy Pobst but the 4S are exceptional. Even if the SS are slightly better or slightly worse it's not an issue since I won't be tracking in them. One guy's review does not confirm it.. So many great reviews why the 4S are better than the SS but in the end of the day, they are just reviews.

But what you like, you can't go wrong with either.

Now this is a good review, goes into detail with structure, testing, wet and dry, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kasI6HtxcH0 ]​​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kasI6HtxcH0
I agree if you don't push them to the limit you will never know the difference other than how many miles you get out of them.

​​​​​​​Bill
Old 10-16-2018, 03:42 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It is better than the PSS not the PSS ZP. The PSS ZP has a different rubber compound than the PSS. Read Michelin's description for the PSS ZP. When you lean on the tire in a corner it won't grip as well as the PSS ZP. PSS ZP is a damned good tire.

Michelin's marketing for both tires:
All versions of the Pilot Super Sport ZP employ an asymmetric tread design that features a low-void outboard shoulder for cornering while their notched center ribs and inboard shoulder promote high-speed performance in dry conditions. Wide circumferential grooves and lateral notches help channel water through the footprint to maintain wet traction. Sizes for the standard C7 Corvette use a single tread rubber compound that blends dry traction, wet traction and treadlife; while the sizes for Z51-equipped and Z06 models feature side-by-side tread compounds. Different from the standard Pilot Super Sport tread compounds, one is designed and manufactured in the U.S. specifically for the C7 Corvette, and the other is made for racing applications by the same people and equipment that produce the compounds in Michelin´s Le Mans-wining race tires. The two combine to deliver near-racing-slick dry grip and handling levels, without abandoning tread life and wet handling.

The asymmetric tread pattern of the Pilot Sport 4S features side-by-side, 24 Hours of Le Mans-derived compounds. The low-void outer shoulder utilizes a new dry-focused hybrid tread rubber for improved dry handling and braking over the previous generation tire, while the center ribs and inboard shoulder feature a silica-infused wet compound designed to increase wet braking performance. The computer-modeled Variable Contact Patch 3.0 optimizes pressure distribution across the contact patch through turns, reducing hot spots and improving tire life during aggressive use.

That near racing slick description for the PSS ZP shows up on track. One of our forum members turned a 2 minute flat lap at VIR with the PSS ZP. On the same car he ran 1:59 with Cup2s, Hoosiers or Pirelli Slicks. I think I will stick with the PSS ZP when it comes time to change.

Bill
I was perhaps being a little hyperbolic re: the PS4s. The tyre is advertised as being better than the MPSS by Michelin, although this refers to the non-Z06 version as you state. That being said, for a street tyre I would gladly give up a very small, (immeasurable on the street?) amount of dry handling ability to obtain far better wet weather handling; better compliance; longer life, etc. IF the PS4 was made in the correct C7 Z06 sizing however.

As for the difference between the MPSS and SC2, as found on the Z07 version: the SC2 ZP tyre car should easily be at least 2-3 seconds/lap quicker than the SS when driven by the same driver, in the same car, in the same conditions and on the same track.

Bish
Old 10-18-2018, 12:02 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

A major difference is the 4S is not a run flat tire. So make sure you have a tow strap to get it on a flat bed.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:22 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

I was perhaps being a little hyperbolic re: the PS4s. The tyre is advertised as being better than the MPSS by Michelin, although this refers to the non-Z06 version as you state. That being said, for a street tyre I would gladly give up a very small, (immeasurable on the street?) amount of dry handling ability to obtain far better wet weather handling; better compliance; longer life, etc. IF the PS4 was made in the correct C7 Z06 sizing however.

As for the difference between the MPSS and SC2, as found on the Z07 version: the SC2 ZP tyre car should easily be at least 2-3 seconds/lap quicker than the SS when driven by the same driver, in the same car, in the same conditions and on the same track.

Bish
I haven't noticed an issue when driving the tires in the rain. They have good grip and I can sing along at 70 mph without any issue, the car can turn as it should, stop as it should and it can accelerate just fine as long as I don't jump on the throttle and bring power increase up reasonably. Turning and stopping are the key elements with acceleration being pretty low when you have wet conditions. You can still out run anybody else at the stop light gran prix.

You validate my comment about the performance of the PSS ZP. They are almost as fast as an R Compound tire. Other types of tires would be far more than 2 seconds off the lap time of an R compound. What the Spring Mountain Instructors tell their students is accurate the PSS ZP is a very good performance tire.

Bill
Old 11-18-2018, 11:12 AM
jrwood
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

I just put these on the Z06 and fit good. I had the car aligned before the tires were put on and the back driver side did rub. I went back to my alignment guy and he made adjustments and work perfect now. I’ll keep you guys posted on the long term results
Old 11-18-2018, 11:51 PM
Oh4GTO
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 131 Posts

What were the alignment specs?
Stock ride height?

Last edited by Oh4GTO; 11-18-2018 at 11:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Pilot 4S fitment in Z06 size?

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot 4S fitment in Z06 size?