C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Updated software in entire car

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 01:26 PM
16SSA8
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by atljar
Unfortunately those have been posted here in the past and were quickly taken down. GM had a direct statement saying the copies were copyright infringement
I see - quick question.. if I was to buy a $40 license, could I program my PDR without the programmer since it is SD card based?
Old 10-24-2018, 01:45 PM
srqmedic
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

NicD, What setup do you use VCX? I'm pretty new to the tuning part of these cars and want to learn. I've been following your tuning work with Cordes and I'm pretty impressed. Keep up the great work!

Chris
Old 10-24-2018, 02:20 PM
NicD
Burning Brakes

Received 520 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by srqmedic
NicD, What setup do you use VCX? I'm pretty new to the tuning part of these cars and want to learn. I've been following your tuning work with Cordes and I'm pretty impressed. Keep up the great work!

Chris
I use a real GM MDI2 box with the GM software, and thanks!
Old 10-24-2018, 02:59 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by 2005vetteTT
I see - quick question.. if I was to buy a $40 license, could I program my PDR without the programmer since it is SD card based?
I dont see a way to do that. You need to hookup to the car to get current programming levels and the "correct" software version, only then are you able to download the files.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:11 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

Received 624 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by 2005vetteTT

Yes, all you need is the update files on the SD card and it will see them and start the update process. I did it myself with the update files and SD card and nothing else. Just make sure you have the car running cause the update process takes long enough that the electronics will shut off if not running.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:28 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JAYNO20
Yes, all you need is the update files on the SD card and it will see them and start the update process. I did it myself with the update files and SD card and nothing else. Just make sure you have the car running cause the update process takes long enough that the electronics will shut off if not running.
You arent able to get the programming file for the SD card without hooking up to the vehicle (Unless you are supplied with the file from outside sources)

Last edited by atljar; 10-24-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:40 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

You arent able to get the programming file for the SD card without hooking up to the vehicle (Unless you are supplied with the file from outside sources)
Correct, but I already have the file.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:42 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Do you know the part number on the update file you have? I had my 15 PDR updated last year and they used my SD card so I have the file on my computer. It actually took 4 separate tries to get the system to update. Two while the mechanic had the car in the shop and then called me to tell it was done. One after I got there and he was showing me what he had done and found it didn't take and the final one while I was standing there when it took. That run was the shortest as it took about 3 minutes. First time in the shop it took over an hour and a half and that is when he suggested I go home and he would call. The update file I have is PN 84158333 I got the file in Feb. 2017.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 10-24-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:47 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Do you know the part number on the update file you have? I had my 15 PDR updated last year and they used my SD card so I have the file on my computer. It actually took 4 separate tries to get the system to update. Two while the mechanic had the car in the shop and then called me to tell it was done. One after I got there and he was showing me what he had done and found it didn't take and the final one while I was standing there when it took. That run was the shortest as it took about 3 minutes. First time in the shop it took over an hour and a half and that is when he suggested I go home and he would call. The update file I have is PN 84158333 I got the file in Feb. 2017.

Bill
Under the PDR settings you can see the version you have and mine is "23350846AT 0.1" which from what I can find is still the most up to date version.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:03 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
There are two files available for download, Program 23350846 and the 84158333. The 84158333 says that it should be only installed in order to fix the missing second on the PDR lap timer per SIB 17-NA-013. You cant install them both (I tried). The 84158333 over-writes the 23350846 and vice versa. Ive been told the 84158333 also includes the PDR green hue fix within it, so thats the file I ended up leaving in my car. PDR quality looks better than it ever has so Im inclined to believe what I had read.

Ive heard so many horror stories of the updates not taking for dealers. The on screen instructions are poor, but the key is 2 install cycles. Step one installs the base program. You manually then need to open the PDR again and install the Step 2. Once that goes through, you should be good and can verify the version in the software screen

Last edited by atljar; 10-24-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:11 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

There are two files available for download, Program 23350846 and the 84158333. The 84158333 says that it should be only installed in order to fix the missing second on the PDR lap timer per the SIB. You cant install them both (I tried). The 84158333 over-writes the 23350846 and vice versa. Ive been told the 84158333 also includes the PDR green hue fix within it, so thats the file I ended up leaving in my car. PDR quality looks better than it ever has so Im inclined to believe what I had read.

Ive heard so many horror stories of the updates not taking for dealers. The on screen instructions are poor, but the key is 2 install cycles. Step one installs the base program. You manually then need to open the PDR again and install the Step 2. Once that goes through, you should be good and can verify the version in the software screen
The biggest problem with the PDR and which hasn't been fixed yet is its poor response to changing light situations as the car is moving. I can drive from one area of the track where the video looks great into another area that doesn't look much different to the naked eye and the video is so dark the only way I you could tell there are cars in front of me is when they hit their brakes and the lights come on.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 10-24-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:50 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

When I attempted to update the PDR software (to the 84158333) using the VCX Nano and TIS2Web, I continue to get an error. My current version has an asterisk beside it so I believe the software won't allow the 84158333 to overwrite the currently installed software. Most other modules updated without issue.

Any idea on how to get around this issue? I never had the timing update applied and my PDR still has issues. This is on a 2016, FYI.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:04 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fleming23
When I attempted to update the PDR software (to the 84158333) using the VCX Nano and TIS2Web, I continue to get an error. My current version has an asterisk beside it so I believe the software won't allow the 84158333 to overwrite the currently installed software. Most other modules updated without issue.

Any idea on how to get around this issue? I never had the timing update applied and my PDR still has issues. This is on a 2016, FYI.
You cant update with the Nano alone. The Nano will allow you to get to the download screen. Then you need to save the file to a USB drive, then you need to transfer the files on the USB to a SD card. Then SD card put into the glovebox slot to program. Open the PDR and follow on screen prompts EXACTLY. (This will require 2x going into the PDR screen and installing)

Last edited by atljar; 11-12-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:42 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

You cant update with the Nano alone. The Nano will allow you to get to the download screen. Then you need to save the file to a USB drive, then you need to transfer the files on the USB to a SD card. Then SD card put into the glovebox slot to program. Open the PDR and follow on screen prompts EXACTLY. (This will require 2x going into the PDR screen and installing)
Using the Nano as an interface with my laptop and Tis2web, it won't even let me download the files. I know it won't let me update direct, but I can't even get the files. I'll try to do screenshots later if that doesn't make sense.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:48 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

I have the files if you need them. All you do is put the files on the SD card and it will prompt for an update. I sent them to another member here as well and he installed them without issue.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:40 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Using the Nano as an interface with my laptop and Tis2web, it won't even let me download the files. I know it won't let me update direct, but I can't even get the files. I'll try to do screenshots later if that doesn't make sense.
This has been a couple weeks since I did this, but if I recall after you selected the PDR system, it shows a programming tree with all the possible software versions. For programming version 84158333 it said only for use per SIB 17-NA-013. Once selected there was a drop down menu that said Download via MDI2 or download via USB, something along those lines. Are you able to see that?
Old 11-12-2018, 03:33 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JAYNO20
I have the files if you need them. All you do is put the files on the SD card and it will prompt for an update. I sent them to another member here as well and he installed them without issue.
I'll PM you.

This has been a couple weeks since I did this, but if I recall after you selected the PDR system, it shows a programming tree with all the possible software versions. For programming version 84158333 it said only for use per SIB 17-NA-013. Once selected there was a drop down menu that said Download via MDI2 or download via USB, something along those lines. Are you able to see that?
Yes, all of that matches. Once you click next, similar to how you would normally update any of the other modules, the screen is different and does not actually download anything. Maybe with the files above, I can get what I need.

I'll still post a screenshot later for reference.

Get notified of new replies

To Updated software in entire car

Old 11-12-2018, 03:47 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Good luck with the files, hope that gets it for you!
Old 12-04-2018, 12:54 AM
The T-man
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

does it now show what gear you are in on the HUD? A8 I mean
Old 12-04-2018, 09:34 AM
snampro
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 166 Posts

Ive had a couple people PM me asking what the specifics were of this. Here is what I used....

Hardware:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074365Q6H/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&ps c=1

Software:
https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome (The single Vin $40 programming license)
One quick question: I assume you connected the VXDIAG VCX to a laptop. Is that correct? Also noticed the VCX only works in a 32-bit environment, which is interesting because the GM Software have system requirements for 64-bit.

What exactly did you use, computer wise...? THANKS!

Last edited by snampro; 12-04-2018 at 10:05 AM. Reason: added 32/64-bit info

Quick Reply: Updated software in entire car