C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

A8 shudder update

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 01:05 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Talked to two dealerships and the Borla X pipe is no problem. In fact my son had the dealership install his when they did the courtesy delivery.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:06 PM
Jet Stream Blue Z06
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I had my tranny flushed yesterday and all I can say is "thank goodness for this forum!" I called the dealer last week to make an appointment to have the tranny flushed due to the shudder that I get going up the hill to my house and on the highway. They said they would look at it first to determine the problem. I also scheduled the programming upgrade to my suspension. At first the woman on the phone didn't know anything about the upgrade. I explained it to her and she said she talked to a technician and he was aware of it.. I asked her if she needed my Vin # and she said she was all set, they had it on file. I get to the dealer at 8:00 am yesterday and the service person wasn't aware of the shudder problem and didn't know anything about the suspension upgrade. Luckily I had the shudder paperwork that I printed from this forum with me so he could figure that one out. He said he would check on the suspension upgrade. Ten minutes later, he comes into the waiting room and tells me they will reprogram the tranny first to see if that fixes the problem and he couldn't find anyone that knew about the suspension. He leaves and I did a quick google search which brings me to the forum and I give him the GM part number he needed. He comes back a little while later and tells me they can get the program and the cost would be $350 plus an hour and a half of labor to install it. I told him that it should just be $350 and the labor is included. Another search of the forum and I show him where it says the cost is $350.
He comes back a few minutes later and tell me he is all set with the suspension upgrade ($350 plus tax) and that they are going to flush the tranny. He wants to know if I am going to pay for the tranny flush. I said it is covered under the warranty. He says it isn't and I have am past the warranty. I have a 2015 with only 17k miles on it. I told him it should be covered under the 5 year/100k mile drivetrain warranty, if he doesn't want to do the flush, I can come back after the torque converter fails, problem solved. Three hours later ( I waited for the car knowing there would probably be some type of issue) he tells me the GM tech says the car has to sit for 8 to 10 hours after they reprogram the suspension and I have to leave the car there. He does this in the waiting room and I tell him this is incorrect and the car can be driven and then sit for 8 to 10 hours for the car to recalibrate. He disagrees with me and I tell him I am taking the car. Another google search which brings me to the forum and I go show him in writing what GM says about it. I get back to the waiting room and a woman asked me who was correct, I told her the forum was. LOL
What a scam. If I hadn't read about all of this on this forum, I probably would have paid for it out of my pocket. I just want to thank everyone that posts on here with this type of information. It definitely helps me.

Thanks,

Phil
The following 3 users liked this post by Jet Stream Blue Z06:
GotMoJo (03-02-2019), intensifi (11-22-2018), racedrvr (11-22-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 03:56 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Lol. Yep to all the above. Thank goodness for this place.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:19 PM
noel48
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Had TC replaced 6 months ago.Shudder is back.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:52 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 640 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by noel48
Did you disable the AFM after the TC was changed?
Old 11-04-2018, 05:02 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by noel48
Sorry to hear that! There must be some part that TC is connected to that is struggling. It may be putting too much energy work on the TC. I sure hope they get you squared away quickly. That has to be really frustrating that the main part of the car connected to the motor is a major stumbling block for GM. Obviously they don't want that to happen, but it seems after so much time they could have figured it out. Maybe at first they thought they could just kick the can down the road, plug their ears and it would go away. I realize I could be completely wrong, but they seem to be not taking these shudder issues too seriously. Could be they are now since they indicated they would have a fix in the first quarter of 2019. Let's all hope so.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:32 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Flushing twice

Taking the Beast in to the dealer tomorrow morning to have the fluids flushed.

Dealer has indicated they will replace fluid twice this trip in.

Last edited by azcanuk; 11-11-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:10 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by joemessman
Sorry to hear that! There must be some part that TC is connected to that is struggling. It may be putting too much energy work on the TC. I sure hope they get you squared away quickly. That has to be really frustrating that the main part of the car connected to the motor is a major stumbling block for GM. Obviously they don't want that to happen, but it seems after so much time they could have figured it out. Maybe at first they thought they could just kick the can down the road, plug their ears and it would go away. I realize I could be completely wrong, but they seem to be not taking these shudder issues too seriously. Could be they are now since they indicated they would have a fix in the first quarter of 2019. Let's all hope so.
Guys, it's fairly certain that the AFM system is a major cause of the problem, especially at low speeds around 40 mph in 6th gear, and is damaging the clutching system in the TC. GM might have a software or other fix in 2019, but for now put a Range module in. It will cost you $175 and some gas mileage but it's worth the probable avoidance and aggravation of a TC change. The system flush appears to be long term ineffective and you'll still end up with a bad TC. Mine's been replaced and it definitely cured the problem but my Range module is staying in for good.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:15 AM
azcanuk
Drifting

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
Guys, it's fairly certain that the AFM system is a major cause of the problem, especially at low speeds around 40 mph in 6th gear, and is damaging the clutching system in the TC. GM might have a software or other fix in 2019, but for now put a Range module in. It will cost you $175 and some gas mileage but it's worth the probable avoidance and aggravation of a TC change. The system flush appears to be long term ineffective and you'll still end up with a bad TC. Mine's been replaced and it definitely cured the problem but my Range module is staying in for good.
Did some checking about the Range module... seems some that use these units are experiencing some bad issues with the unit. Throwing codes, stops working so have to unplug re-plug it in before will work again, causes numerous electrical issues and this one...

*** Zero stars. This thing freaked out my C7 Vette, it quit shifting and was stuck in 4th gear limp mode. All my computers quit communicating, trans, abs, chassis, Ecm. It wreaked havoc on everything. Luckily it doesn't seem to have done permanent damage. Avoid this thing like the plague unless you wanna risk blowing up your $100k cars electronics.

Not sure what to do, damned if you do, damned if you don't..

Last edited by azcanuk; 11-12-2018 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:28 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by azcanuk
Did some checking about the Range module... seems some that use these units are experiencing some bad issues with the unit. Throwing codes, stops working so have to unplug re-plug it in before will work again, causes numerous electrical issues and this one...

*** Zero stars. This thing freaked out my C7 Vette, it quit shifting and was stuck in 4th gear limp mode. All my computers quit communicating, trans, abs, chassis, Ecm. It wreaked havoc on everything. Luckily it doesn't seem to have done permanent damage. Avoid this thing like the plague unless you wanna risk blowing up your $100k cars electronics.

Could you share where you got that review? I searched this forum and I could not find the source of that review. TIA
Old 11-12-2018, 02:50 AM
Vegas1500
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 256 Likes on 168 Posts

My range has worked flawless in my Z and Denali. Contact them and I’m sure they’ll help out.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:40 AM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Some of the original units had problems but that was quite some time ago and I've never heard of anything other than a current draw when sitting for extended periods of time. These are used in many GM cars and trucks without incident. The only thing you have to remember is to not leave them plugged in for very extended periods of time (weeks) as they do have a minor intermittent draw on the battery when sitting. This is a many weeks. thing, though. Get one, it will do exactly what you need it to do.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:26 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Have been using the RANGE for about 3 years....no problems with it. Use it with a switch on the drivers side door/floor...perfect. Switch on/start; switch off/stop.
AND NO TC problems....2015 Z06 w/A8....first week production of the Z06 w/A8.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:58 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JBOSS
I have this issue with my '15 Z51. Can you please post the thread you created here so that I can check it out? Thanks!!
Just use the search function and type in "A8 shutter". Select search threads titles. You will be presented with many threads to select from.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:16 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

When I first got mine it wouldn't shift passed 3rd gear a couple of times. Stopped the car restarted and was good. Also got CEL a couple of times before that incident. Range had me send it back to them to flash it and update it and has been golden since then. That was a couple of years ago. The bugs are all ironed out. One doesn't even have to turn it off and on anymore. Just leave it plugged in at all times and no drain on the battery.
Previously when users of the device were having issues it turned out to be issues with their car and not the Range in a lot of cases.

Last edited by joemessman; 11-12-2018 at 12:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MMD (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 02:01 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Originally Posted by MMD
Could you share where you got that review? I searched this forum and I could not find the source of that review. TIA

Googled it, this particular response was one of many from Amazon (which had a wide variety of 1-5 star responses) however in reading more of them it appears the units sold on Amazon (and having issues) may/may not be current software version and some of the reviews warned against purchasing off of Amazon (third party).

So for those that have used it and had no issues, did you order direct from manufacturer or third party?

Thinking I might go to the Range Technology website.

Thanks..

Last edited by azcanuk; 11-12-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:07 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Googled it, this particular response was one of many from Amazon (which had a wide variety of 1-5 star responses) however in reading more of them it appears the units sold on Amazon (and having issues) may/may not be current software version and some of the reviews warned against purchasing off of Amazon (third party).

So for those that have used it and had no issues, did you order direct from manufacturer or third party?

Thanks..
You might also want to look at the date of those negative reviews. Many times those reviews on Amazon go back many years and are no longer applicable to the current product.

Get notified of new replies

To A8 shudder update

Old 11-12-2018, 05:20 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Thanks..
Buy it direct from Range
joemessman (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 05:21 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
Buy it direct from Range
Yes. You'll get the latest version of the firmware for sure. Good advice my man.
MMD (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 05:45 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by joemessman
Yes. You'll get the latest version of the firmware for sure. Good advice my man.
This - Joe would never lie!

Quick Reply: A8 shudder update