C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tyler Chevrolet - Niles Michigan Dealer Vehicle Abuse

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 01:18 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

the op will have to move on. But publicizing this does 2 things. — it sends a message to this dealers and other dealers not to do this kind of shannanigans with a high end vette or even a low end chevy sonic.

Only the the general manager or owner/boss of the dealership can set the tone with the employees that if a customer or another employee observes this behavior they get immediately **** canned.

In this particular case the tech was working on something that was not a performance or driveability issue. There was no reason to take the car for a test drive.

When I had my c7z in for service I didn’t think it was performing up to snuff. I told the tech to take it out and give it hell as I thought it ran like a dog. He checked the car over and said no reason for that —- the intercooler was low and the pump was cavitating. In my case I would have been ok with it. But this guy I have known for years and he has worked on my c4zr1, my c6z and now miss piggy.

This kind of thing has happened for many years with all kinds of performance cars. Dealers are and have been well aware of it. Some control it and some don't. Find one that does and move on. Getting all aggravated about something that in the end did no harm is foolish and non productive as is expecting the dealer to give some kind of compensation.for a no loss event..

Last edited by ronsc1985; 11-11-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:42 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,837 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by ronsc1985
This kind of thing has happened for many years with all kinds of performance cars. Dealers are and have been well aware of it. Some control it and some don't. Find one that does and move on. Getting all aggravated about something that in the end did no harm is foolish and non productive as is expecting the dealer to give some kind of compensation.for a no loss event..
And for the 100th time that's easy to say when it's not your car.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:42 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

No significant harm was done, this time, but it still shouldn't have happened.
I have my service done at such a high-volume Corvette dealer, that Z06's and ZR1's are a dime-a-dozen, nothing a tech would get excited about. It's about 40 miles further away than my closest Chevy dealership, but worth it.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:07 PM
Range_Rat
Safety Car

Received 231 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by ShagVette
Pretty easy for people to say no big deal when it's not their car, hell owner only had it 1 week. Think about how you felt when you finally got yours. Better yet, next time yours is in for service, tell them to just go for a spin.
Think about how you would feel if the Service Tech took your car out for a spin like he did here, and wadded it all up on a guard rail --- or maybe ran over or into someone causing serious injury …

No big deal? This time maybe --- but, as we all should know, that can change in the blink of an eye. Example below:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...es-to-pay.html

Last edited by Range_Rat; 11-11-2018 at 03:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Harbgrogan (11-13-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 03:50 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by BMadden
And for the 100th time that's easy to say when it's not your car.
For the 101st time exactly what good does whining on an internet board accomplish. If you want to feel better I'd suggest a single malt and some energetic sex. Those two will do as much to change the occurrence of these type of events as all these threads i.e. exactly nothing.

Last edited by ronsc1985; 11-11-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:06 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

For the 101st time exactly what good does whining on an internet board accomplish.
Are you serious? Public accountability for one's actions can accomplish a lot.

Harbgrogan (11-13-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 04:31 PM
Connman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I've left my thoughts on google reviews and yelp.
(and links to the jalopnik article)

Last edited by Connman; 11-11-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Harbgrogan (11-13-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 04:57 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

For the 101st time exactly what good does whining on an internet board accomplish. If you want to feel better I'd suggest a single malt and some energetic sex. Those two will do as much to change the occurrence of these type of events as all these threads i.e. exactly nothing.
Him posting about it does a helluva lot more good than you constantly trying to point out it's no big deal.

The following 2 users liked this post by BMadden:
Harbgrogan (11-13-2018), tertiumquid (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 05:03 PM
stoessjc
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Seems foolish and risky for any dealership to take the car out for a "test drive" when the work was for airbag/seatbelt software change. With the mindset of that dealership, maybe they should have run the car into a tree just to make sure the seatbelt and airbags were in working order after they did the software change.
Harbgrogan (11-13-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 05:17 PM
Tennispro1986
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ShagVette
Pretty easy for people to say no big deal when it's not their car, hell owner only had it 1 week. Think about how you felt when you finally got yours. Better yet, next time yours is in for service, tell them to just go for a spin.
I think the people that don't appreciate their cars are the ones saying no big deal. If they cared for their car and worked hard for it, they would certainly care. I suppose if I had endless money and my Z06 was just a penny out of my wallet then maybe I wouldn't care as much...but like I said in my previous post I'm a young guy and work my *** off to be able to afford my Z. So this would not go over well with me.

The fact that the service adviser doesn't enforce proper behavior from his employees and doesn't hold them accountable when something like this happens, and furthermore does nothing for the customer shows that the service manager is an absolute piece of **** and doesn't deserve his job.
The following 5 users liked this post by Tennispro1986:
BlueDevlZ06 (11-11-2018), BMadden (11-11-2018), cyi1 (11-11-2018), Harbgrogan (11-13-2018), spinkick (01-22-2019)
Old 11-11-2018, 05:24 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tennispro1986
I think the people that don't appreciate their cars are the ones saying no big deal. If they cared for their car and worked hard for it, they would certainly care. I suppose if I had endless money and my Z06 was just a penny out of my wallet then maybe I wouldn't care as much...but like I said in my previous post I'm a young guy and work my *** off to be able to afford my Z. So this would not go over well with me.

The fact that the service adviser doesn't enforce proper behavior from his employees and doesn't hold them accountable when something like this happens, and furthermore does nothing for the customer shows that the service manager is an absolute piece of **** and doesn't deserve his job.
Preach, brother!
Harbgrogan (11-13-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 05:32 PM
Ruderegime
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 101 Posts

This guy is staring at you're ZO6 like some pervert. He's about to get him some of that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ruderegime:
bvettevo (11-16-2018), Harbgrogan (11-13-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 05:59 PM
mig1980
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm sure it's been said already but are these dealers and techs so stupid that they don't realize when these cars (with PDR) are in valet mode, they are recording? I don't get it. Why do anything that could be taken as inappropriate on a customer's vehicle knowing it is being documented. I take extremely good care of my vehicles so I sympathize with the OP.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:46 PM
BlueDevlZ06
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennispro1986
I'm young and work my *** off to afford my Z. If this happened to me I would be raising hell. To me this is the same as robbery. He took your car WITHOUT your permission. Regardless of how it was driven, he did not have permission from the owner to drive his car. The dealership should fire that tech and he should have charges pressed against him. Anyone that says "just let it go, its no big deal" does not value their property.
Robbery is the forcible theft of property, this incident is not a robbery. At best, it's borderline Unauthorized use of a Motor Vehicle. I would be fuming if it were my Z but I don't see anything criminal with what the tech did. Other than maybe speeding and reckless driving, both of which, unfortunatly would need to be witnessed by a police officer if it were in NY, there isnt anything to charge him with. It has spread all over social media and the Internet already. That may be the best way to get justice. Hope the dealership apologizes and makes it right with the OP. Totally unacceptable buisness practice and the tech should be canned.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:11 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueDevlZ06
Robbery is the forcible theft of property, this incident is not a robbery. At best, it's borderline Unauthorized use of a Motor Vehicle. I would be fuming if it were my Z but I don't see anything criminal with what the tech did. Other than maybe speeding and reckless driving, both of which, unfortunatly would need to be witnessed by a police officer if it were in NY, there isnt anything to charge him with. It has spread all over social media and the Internet already. That may be the best way to get justice. Hope the dealership apologizes and makes it right with the OP. Totally unacceptable buisness practice and the tech should be canned.
True. But most guys don't realize that when they drop the car and sign on those 4 lines, one of them states you give permission to drive the car. I specifically highlight and do not sign that line. I also verbally tell them. I have 2 dealers here who will not work on my car if I do not sign that line!! I have dealt with dealers and my corvettes for over 25 years. I have had almost every issue. This exact situation happened to me years ago in my new 2003 Zo6 for a windshield leak. By chance I saw them driving my car like a##holes. I called the police and the dealer quickly explained I gave permission on line 3!!!! Test driving a water leak???!!!! They bought me new rear tires, and my rear differential went bad 2 months later. True the police need to see it and could not in my day. But today the police lock people up from PDR and youtube videos all the time. It is evidence. You just need to be the complainant. 94 mph is reckless endangerment in most states and a felony, the video is evidence of such. Police need to see traffic infractions not crimes. Dropping off a corvette at a dealer is no ordinary service. You need to get Waaaaaay out in front of these things. They happen everyday. My service guy tells the tech, It goes from this parking spot to the bay, back to this parking spot, it doesn't leave the lot. I make them very aware there is a dash cam, and that the dealer has cameras that can be subpoenaed or viewed by law enforcement. I just don't want to play the game, lets keep it simple, no maybes or assumptions. I tell the service guy and the tech, sorry I tip well, please be nice!!! Always throw them a 20 dollar bill and I always have a parking spot when I come! Money well spent.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:58 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Originally Posted by seamus2154
True. But most guys don't realize that when they drop the car and sign on those 4 lines, one of them states you give permission to drive the car. I specifically highlight and do not sign that line. I also verbally tell them. I have 2 dealers here who will not work on my car if I do not sign that line!! I have dealt with dealers and my corvettes for over 25 years. I have had almost every issue. This exact situation happened to me years ago in my new 2003 Zo6 for a windshield leak. By chance I saw them driving my car like a##holes. I called the police and the dealer quickly explained I gave permission on line 3!!!! Test driving a water leak???!!!! They bought me new rear tires, and my rear differential went bad 2 months later. True the police need to see it and could not in my day. But today the police lock people up from PDR and youtube videos all the time. It is evidence. You just need to be the complainant. 94 mph is reckless endangerment in most states and a felony, the video is evidence of such. Police need to see traffic infractions not crimes. Dropping off a corvette at a dealer is no ordinary service. You need to get Waaaaaay out in front of these things. They happen everyday. My service guy tells the tech, It goes from this parking spot to the bay, back to this parking spot, it doesn't leave the lot. I make them very aware there is a dash cam, and that the dealer has cameras that can be subpoenaed or viewed by law enforcement. I just don't want to play the game, lets keep it simple, no maybes or assumptions. I tell the service guy and the tech, sorry I tip well, please be nice!!! Always throw them a 20 dollar bill and I always have a parking spot when I come! Money well spent.
Smart man.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:42 PM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

I’m very surprised at some of the negative responses towards the OP. I’ll be upset to if someone took my car out for a joyride.
Harbgrogan (11-13-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Tyler Chevrolet - Niles Michigan Dealer Vehicle Abuse

Old 11-12-2018, 01:07 AM
elburrito99
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueDevlZ06
You're correct. LARCENY is the crime that was committed, not robbery (which requires the use of force against a person). When one gives the dealership consent to road rest a car, he does not give consent to break several laws while in possession of the car (driving at double the speed limit, driving on the road side of the road). What if the employee held up a liquor store and used the car as a getaway, but did not harm the car in the process? Under the letter of the law, the moment the dealership's employee goes beyond the consent given by the owner, the employee has committed larceny. The fact that he brought back the car does not eliminate the fact that the crime was committed, even if only for a short period of time.

But if the police wont allow the OP to press charges, the OP can still file a civil suit -- even if just in small claims court.

As for some others who said this was no big deal, or no harm, no foul, they should publish on this forum a time and place where anyone can go drive their car for 15 minutes at up to 90 mph. So long as no one wrecks their car, what's the big deal?

Also, for reference, here is the California statute for grand larceny (most states use fairly similar language):
Grand theft is theft committed in any of the following cases:
(a) When the money, labor, or real or personal property taken is of a value exceeding nine hundred fifty dollars ($950), except as provided in subdivision (b).

Last edited by elburrito99; 11-12-2018 at 01:08 AM.
Harbgrogan (11-13-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 07:41 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by elburrito99
Also, for reference, here is the California statute for grand larceny (most states use fairly similar language):
Grand theft is theft committed in any of the following cases:
(a) When the money, labor, or real or personal property taken is of a value exceeding nine hundred fifty dollars ($950), except as provided in subdivision (b).
I'm guessing that somewhere in that statute there may also be the words intentionally, knowingly or with the intent to permanently deprive someone of said property or services. I seriously doubt that anyone would approve criminal charges for something like this. I'm also guessing that the best recourse, if any, would be some type of civil action.

Last edited by DevilDog II; 11-12-2018 at 09:15 AM.
BlueDevlZ06 (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 09:33 AM
Jvm728
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

you guys are hilarious.

i only signed one line, not sure what it even said.

hmmm. now i'm actually wondering if i signed anything before hand. i dont think i did. he said we would do signature on completion. i was surprised because I just handed the key over.

Last edited by Jvm728; 11-12-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Tyler Chevrolet - Niles Michigan Dealer Vehicle Abuse