C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Car Runs Better After A Good Flogging

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 12:43 PM
MacRoadie
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Car Runs Better After A Good Flogging

Anyone else notice that their car runs a lot better after a day of good hard driving? I've notice better pickup, smoother acceleration, and some "seat of the pants" difference the day after I take my car to a day of autocross and drive the sh@t out of it. Anyone else see the same thing?
Old 11-19-2018, 12:55 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Yes, these cars take input from how they are driven and keep all the performance data ready for your next drive. I really feel it in my car after a long day of autoX the following morning on start-up. The trans, fuel and timing bust right off on the 1st cold start of the day. The trans has some " adaptive " intelligence so it shifts and holds rpm's at or near maximum settings after aggressive driving. I've found that doing some pulls on the way to the drag strip yields better performance et's and mph.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:04 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,148 Posts

Back in my rotary days, of almost 10 years, they recommend redlining the engine once or twice before you shut down for the day to ensure no carbon buildup. While myself personally dont know if this worked, others who have torn more rotary engines have found them to be cleaner than those who daily drive their rotary cars without doing it.

I know when I did it, every time I pulled my plugs, which was once a year regardless of miles, they were spotless. A rare thing with rotary engines since they get fouled up badly since oil is actually injected into the combustion chamber to cool the apex seals.

didnt do this type of protocol on my corvettes though lol. Maybe I'll start again.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:36 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I think so to, and after a hi-way drive at 80mph everything is warmed up but the car is running cool.
When you stop before it warms go again the car seems to run well.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:09 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
I think so to, and after a hi-way drive at 80mph everything is warmed up but the car is running cool.
When you stop before it warms go again the car seems to run well.
Yep runs great after sitting 15 minutes for little cool down. Then once the temps are back up. not so much.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 11-19-2018 at 08:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Car Runs Better After A Good Flogging

Quick Reply: Car Runs Better After A Good Flogging