C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Question about breaking in new motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 03:29 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Default Question about breaking in new motor

I've noticed that there are a number of you on the C7 Z06 Fast List that have run in the 10's with bone stock A8's. Just curious as to how you broke your motor in. Did you follow GM's recommendations or did you drive it like you stole it? My 2019 will be in this week or next week, and I'm wondering if it's best to follow GM's recommendations or try a more aggressive approach. My '16 was pretty quick and never used a drop of oil.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:57 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

You do have to remember that break in also includes the rest of the drive train and the brakes. You may get away with running the engine hard during break in but the trans and diff may not appreciate the hard use. 500 miles following GM's suggestions is a short break in period and can usually be accomplished in less than a week even on cars that aren't driven across country.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
DevilDog II (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 01:36 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
You do have to remember that break in also includes the rest of the drive train and the brakes. You may get away with running the engine hard during break in but the trans and diff may not appreciate the hard use. 500 miles following GM's suggestions is a short break in period and can usually be accomplished in less than a week even on cars that aren't driven across country.

Bill
Thanks, Bill.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:24 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Just vary your speed and engine loads. Don't run it on cruise control and do some down shifting no matter which trans you got.
DevilDog II (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 04:43 PM
Mike Jesse
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 195 Posts

I picked up my then new 17 and drove it for 700 miles with the cruise control on in 100 plus degree temps.

Back to the dealer the next day for the 500 mile oil change.

Then it was a 1400 mile drive home.

Runs perfectly.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:23 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Default break in

Originally Posted by Mike Jesse
I picked up my then new 17 and drove it for 700 miles with the cruise control on in 100 plus degree temps.

Back to the dealer the next day for the 500 mile oil change.

Then it was a 1400 mile drive home.

Runs perfectly.

That 100 degree weather actually helped your break in. It's when it's 30 or below that the temp becomes a negative issue. And, yes, many have broken their cars in that way before, but some people are overly concerned about the break in time and loads. Most modern engines in new cars are good to go as soon as you put gas in them. These are just my opinions, but I have been told for years, I've been drag racing for 40 years, by several different engine builders. As well as the engines that I have built have lasted many many years and miles.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:30 PM
Mike Jesse
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
That 100 degree weather actually helped your break in. It's when it's 30 or below that the temp becomes a negative issue. And, yes, many have broken their cars in that way before, but some people are overly concerned about the break in time and loads. Most modern engines in new cars are good to go as soon as you put gas in them. These are just my opinions, but I have been told for years, I've been drag racing for 40 years, by several different engine builders. As well as the engines that I have built have lasted many many years and miles.
Same here.

Mine still had the temp. paper tag on the rear window when I took to the dragstrip for the first time.
Thomasmoto (11-23-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 11:45 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Default drag strip

Originally Posted by Mike Jesse

Same here.

Mine still had the temp. paper tag on the rear window when I took to the dragstrip for the first time.
The announcer at our local track always makes a big deal of any car that comes to run there with a paper tag on it. It's hilarious!
Old 11-23-2018, 04:50 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

The manual doesn't really give much detail. I broke in my 18 and 19 exactly the same, but they run different. 19 pulls harder, but uses oil. 18 never used oil. I am bummed it uses oil, but happy with the engine feel. I chalk up the difference to manufacturing variability. Never dyno'd or ran 1/4 mile so who knows the real difference. Won't get the 19 on the road course for comparison until spring.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:25 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts
Default breaking a new car in

Engine: rev limit 2/3 of redline for 500 miles, mostly gentle cruising and short shifting but with some middle rpm 3/4 throttle bursts for 3-5 seconds to put some pressure on the rings to seat, let fully off the throttle for a couple of seconds to get oil back on the cylinder walls, cruise for a minute or two, repeat. Lower rpms to let the bearing/friction surfaces mate a little before high rpm stress. In and out of the throttle moderately, don't care if the speed greatly changes, to help seat the rings

Drive train: I think if you do what I just described for the engine you will get the other gears and bearings happy with each other. Avoiding heavy loads/high rpm that could potentially heat up some bearing/gear surface and overheat the oil film is the idea. Shorter, moderate force, moderate rpm for the first 500 miles. I don't go crazy with full out cornering during this time as well to let the wheel bearings and suspension joints get a little comfortable with their rolling and rubbing.

I change engine/trans/diff fluids/filters at 500 miles in part thinking clearing out manufacturing debris more than worn out fluid, and then go to manufacturer recommended intervals modified by use. We have 9000 miles on our 2017 Z06, half of that or more at the track, starting with about 600 miles on the clock. Have changed the oil a lot and trans/diff fluid 3 times. Air filter once. When you are getting 6mpg at the track, that is 3 times the airflow or more than you would be getting through your engine than daily driving/highway cruising.

Has worked for me. I haven't had engines that used a lot of oil, and have never had a transmission/differential fail.

FWIW
Old 11-23-2018, 05:47 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,145 Posts

People are overthinking all this lol.

The illuminated lights by the RPM should be an indicator of where you should and shouldn't be at.

For the first 500 mils, the 4500-redline LED lights were constantly illuminated. As soon as i broke 500 miles, all the lights went out. I showed up to the chevy dealer at exactly 500 miles coincidentally. And got my 500 mile oil change.

On the way home i opened her up a bit. Not WOT but close. It was scary fast.

Got my UOA shortly after and it's perfect. I have a manual so the rpm's were inevitably varied.

But i think the more you think about things, the chances of things going wrong go up. Just use the car, easily but not babying it for the first 500 miles. Then get the oil change and have fun.

I have 12k miles now and no burning oil and the car is just as strong as when i first took it home. I don't get any of the problems you later year Z's get lol.

I guess i'm lucky.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:50 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I've noticed that there are a number of you on the C7 Z06 Fast List that have run in the 10's with bone stock A8's. Just curious as to how you broke your motor in. Did you follow GM's recommendations or did you drive it like you stole it? My 2019 will be in this week or next week, and I'm wondering if it's best to follow GM's recommendations or try a more aggressive approach. My '16 was pretty quick and never used a drop of oil.
Bignastyz07 took his right from the showroom to the track.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about breaking in new motor

Quick Reply: Question about breaking in new motor