C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

ABS bleed tool

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 01:47 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Default ABS bleed tool

What is the most effective, and least expensive, tool that can access the ABS module in the EBCM to do a full flush?
Old 12-03-2018, 02:05 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

I used the Drew tech Mongoose pro and got a 3 day subscription to the gm software. It's flawless but if you decide to do it I can give you some tips at the time that will save you some headaches.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

The cheapest is to after doing a full flush without actuating the module is to go out and make a few hard stops that activate ABS at all 4 wheels. Best to do this on a loose grip surface where you can jam the brake pedal on hard at slow speed and get all of them stuttering. Then go back and bleed the system again. Do this two or three times more and you will have exchanged all of the fluid in the module.

However, you do have to get all 4 wheels into ABS which isn't as easy as it might seem if you are on dry pavement. Most people don't hit the brake pedal hard enough.

Bill
Old 12-03-2018, 07:15 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The cheapest is to after doing a full flush without actuating the module is to go out and make a few hard stops that activate ABS at all 4 wheels. Best to do this on a loose grip surface where you can jam the brake pedal on hard at slow speed and get all of them stuttering. Then go back and bleed the system again. Do this two or three times more and you will have exchanged all of the fluid in the module.

However, you do have to get all 4 wheels into ABS which isn't as easy as it might seem if you are on dry pavement. Most people don't hit the brake pedal hard enough.

Bill
Thanks Bill, I am mostly looking for shop equipment though. Guaranteed, ABS is activated every time this car goes out on track so my annual flush should be sufficient. Just like having all the tools and equipment I need to complete a project thoroughly.

For example, I'm in the market for an alignment rack just so I can do proper and thorough alignments at home.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:31 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

I got the bbx pro hub stands and scales and scale pads. I level the pads and do the alignment in my garage. I think Sean got some different hub stands but these work well. You can get the alignment exactly where you want it without having to have an alignment rack. I use a quickjack to raise and lower the car. I may get a lift at some point but right now just need the extra space in my garage.

Herman
Old 12-03-2018, 07:35 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
I got the bbx pro hub stands and scales and scale pads. I level the pads and do the alignment in my garage. I think Sean got some different hub stands but these work well. You can get the alignment exactly where you want it without having to have an alignment rack. I use a quickjack to raise and lower the car. I may get a lift at some point but right now just need the extra space in my garage.

Herman
I do have these, and they do work but the added effort is annoying when I want to make a quick change, or just confirm we are ready to roll before a race. Just a convenience thing at this point.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:44 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

I think they're the same ones Sean got. I end up changing brakes every time I track the car so it doesn't cost me too much time this way. Once I get it set up it seems like it's easier than aligning it with the tires on.

Last edited by badhabit_wb; 12-03-2018 at 07:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ABS bleed tool

Quick Reply: ABS bleed tool