C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

GT500 vs C7 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 05:35 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Parcival
Kinda ironic since your moniker basically means Mr. Gimmicky Doo Dads...

To OP, I would upgrade from a Mustang GT500 to a Z06 in a heartbeat. GT500 may have a lot of hp, but it is the very definition of not being able to put the power down.

If you want to stay in the Ford family, get a GT350 for an upgraded experience, but knowing that the FPC engine will eventually vibrate the car to pieces over time.

giz·mo
/ˈɡizmō/
noun
INFORMAL
  1. a gadget, especially one whose name the speaker does not know or cannot recall.
    "the latest multimedia gizmo"
good point.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:57 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

To the OP: Keep your Shelby if you like tire smoke and going slow. This vid is of a 720 rwhp Shelby Super Snake Vs. my C6 Z. My C7 Z is MUCH FASTER than my C6 Z was. This roll race was at 50 mph because that was as slow as he could go without massive wheel spin.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:03 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

I looked long hard look at the 2018 Mustang GT auto trans before buying my 2016 Z07. Watching these cars at the 1/4 mile in Bowling green and talking to the owners last spring confirmed the car was very impressive for the money spent. Like the C7 Z06 auto the Gt with the 10 speed auto trans was faster and more consistent than the stick equivalent. It was the great price I got on a low miles Z07 that kept me in a newer Corvette. If Ford had put that great 10 speed trans in the GT-350 it may have been another story.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:06 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
To the OP: Keep your Shelby if you like tire smoke and going slow. This vid is of a 720 rwhp Shelby Super Snake Vs. my C6 Z. My C7 Z is MUCH FASTER than my C6 Z was. This roll race was at 50 mph because that was as slow as he could go without massive wheel spin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDq6ZfTuUYo
Dude, that's an old *** S197 (a 2007, probably). The Shelbys from that era had 500hp (if it was actually a super snake, 600). Don't get me wrong, I still like the C7Z better than the 13/14, but the difference between the 1st years of the S197 and the last years is like the difference between the C5 and the C7 vettes. It's night and day. I know you said it was 720 wheel hp, but it would have to be HIGHLY modified to pull that off. I think the guy was blowing smoke.

Last edited by Toddiesel; 12-16-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:17 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
I have nothing against manuals and if you want one by all means do it; Hell when I first started 'bracket racing' which I did for many years it was with a 4 speed manual trans that I rowed for years in the "Bracket Wars". I actually 'slowed' down in the 1/4 when I first switched from the stick to a builted auto with a high stall converter.

'You' could always use the A8 paddles to get that in control feeling but it's not the fastest way down the quarter for me. The A8's advantage of "KICKING A$$" are not limited to a few times a year but 'anytime' you go for a drive i.e. someone may want to try you from a light, etc. and you may be in a bad mood and want to vent your frustration.
but the c7z isnt even a 1/4 mile car. It was built for handling. Something it fails in when doing road courses in the auto. Making your driving style by handicapping it by putting it in D or short shifting it if you use paddles is such a turn off for the price you pay for these cars.

trust me I love auto, if it's a proper auto. The a8 is absolutely garbage compared to other cars within its price range. Even the zl1 got a better trans and I know if the a10 could fit in the vette it would be there. But it cant so you auto guys got stuck with an inferior trans.

the zf is an 8 speed but somehow much better than the gm 8 speed.

that's why I said if I get that 18+gt, I'm getting the 10 speed. Not the manual.

I dont mind auto at all, if it's good. That's why I got my z in manual.

you can keep your .3 of a second faster in the 1/4 because my car wont ever see that type of racing lol
Old 12-13-2018, 09:19 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by jstewart
I looked long hard look at the 2018 Mustang GT auto trans before buying my 2016 Z07. Watching these cars at the 1/4 mile in Bowling green and talking to the owners last spring confirmed the car was very impressive for the money spent. Like the C7 Z06 auto the Gt with the 10 speed auto trans was faster and more consistent than the stick equivalent. It was the great price I got on a low miles Z07 that kept me in a newer Corvette. If Ford had put that great 10 speed trans in the GT-350 it may have been another story.
Since the inception of the SVT Mustang, Ford has never offered it with an automatic transmission in any flavor. It's unlikely they will do so anytime soon. Maybe in another decade or so, when literally no one makes a manual trans anymore and the joy of driving is dead because we're all rolling around in self driven cars and aren't allowed to do ANYTHING manual, like even take control of the car.

Last edited by Toddiesel; 12-13-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:33 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Dude, that's an old *** S197 (a 2007, probably). The Shelbys from that era had 500hp (if it was actually a super snake, 550). Don't get me wrong, I still like the C7Z better than the 13/14, but the difference between the 1st years of the S197 and the last years is like the difference between the C5 and the C7 vettes. It's night and day. I know you said it was 720 wheel hp, but it would have to be HIGHLY modified to pull that off. I think the guy was blowing smoke.
Nope, no smoke. A good friend's car, yes, highly modded (the mods are listed below the vid), and I watched it dyno those numbers, they're real. And yes, my C6 Z was modded. BUT, consider, my C7 Z dyno'd the same HP STOCK, and even more torque.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:33 AM
Svtracer14
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
Oh, i missed that part of the half mile.

But i've driven manual mustangs before, they have REALLY stiff clutches. Even my friends stock clutch terminator. It was like stepping on a rock. So i kinda get why the OP would want an auto for the next toy. But the clutches in our cars are so light and easy to use.

Although i still think the fun factor should outweigh him doing half mile events. I mean how many events can you really do per year? 2-3? Maybe 5? You're going to get an auto because you wanna do 5 events a year? lol
There are plenty of other reasons stated ( if you read through the posts I made) that indicate why I will be purchasing an automatic in my next vehicle. Racing happens to be one of them.

Last edited by Svtracer14; 12-13-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:38 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Svtracer14
There are plenty of other reasons stated ( if you read through the posts I made) that indicate why I will be purchasing an automatic in my next vehicle. Racing happens to be one of them.
If what you want is an auto, don't worry about what people are saying about how much better the manual trans is and that it's dumb to buy an auto. I HATE automatics myself, but this is 'Merka and you get what makes you happy. Regardless of whether the 8 speed Chevy put in these cars is better or worse than another manufacturer, that's what comes in it. And it's going to do a better job of going down the strip for you than the manual. Whether it's better on a road course or not is irrelevant since you won't be doing those kinds of events anyway, so just ignore people that are trying to knock you for wanting to switch to automatic trans.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:46 AM
DavidC83
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I'll never understand why these two cars are compared. Other than the HP output, they're for entirely different classes in every other way. If you want an excellent in basically every regard to sports car standards ride, get the Vette, If you want to go fast in a straight line and carry more than 1 small friend with you, keep the GT500. Other than than occupancy capability, the Vette is a better car from top to bottom, regardless of trim level and transmission.

Last edited by DavidC83; 12-13-2018 at 10:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AZGASSER (12-15-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 10:53 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by DavidC83
I'll never understand why these two cars are compared. Other than the HP output they're for entirely different classes in every other way. If you want an excellent in basically every regard to sports car standards ride, get the Vette, If you want to go fast in a straight line and carry more than 1 small friend with you, keep the GT500. Other than than occupancy capability, the Vette is a better car from top to bottom, regardless of trim level and transmission.
Yes, that's pretty much exactly what it is, comparing power. Up until the C7 came out, I thought "why would I pay 60 grand for a car that has less power than my $35k mustang and is way easier and cheaper to mod??". I just didn't see the appeal because I wasn't looking at other aspects. And honestly, I still think the 13/14 Shelby is a better value than the C6 Z06 considering it was WAY more power and WAY cheaper (assuming you could find one) and it has an arguably better interior. I personally believe they hold at least a small part in Chevy really stepping up their game with the C7. I mean, a 2018 Mustang GT is still on par in the hp dept with the stingray, but everything else is just sub par, but it SHOULD be, given the price point. I do think the C7 Z06 is about the most value of any sports/muscle car out there. It provides more performance than any mustang (be it straight line or on a road course) arguably better styling, and a FAR superior interior (and tech). Granted the GT350 is cheaper than the Z06, but that's IF you can even get one, and it's not going to be much cheaper because dealers are ******** and mark them up

Last edited by Toddiesel; 12-13-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:30 PM
quicksupra
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Traded in my 13 gt500 for my 15 zo6 m7 about a year and a half back. The gt500 had the basic mods intake, pulley and tune. It's best stock run was 11.2 and modded was a 10.4. Also ran it at pocono where it did well against some diverse cars. I found it to be reliable except for the issue you mentioned which was the clutch. But I'm a bit rough on clutches at the track. I also had the gear whine issue when I put in 3.73's. The zo6 hasn't had any issues in the 10k miles I've put on it except for a brake worn warning thats a glitch with the carbon brakes. As far as the comparison between them , the differences are obvious to all on this board in regards to the handling and braking. I think the gt500 was more practical and rode better then the vette. I would probably in retrospect keep the gt500 caused the thing scared me when I drove it and I like that in a car.

Quick Reply: GT500 vs C7 Z06