C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

The Dilemma of Borla vs Corsa!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 03:11 PM
Dr Bob
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 28 Posts

Sound improvement with Borla over stock???
Old 01-02-2019, 03:20 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

Received 624 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Bob
Thanx for the offer Justin! I live in Kennett Square, PA, a suburb of Philadelphia. I’m afraid that by the time we get together in “Pennsy” we may be in the middle of a big snow storm! LOL! I would like your thoughts of picking the Borla pipes over the Corsa. I’m a regular fan and subscriber of your channell!
Guys, if you haven’t checked out Justin’s channell, “Horse Power Obsessed”, please do so!! Really Top Notch!! Dr Bob
Thanks, Bob, I appreciate that! There is definitely a sound improvement over stock with the Borla Xpipe. The biggest difference is at WOT it's a good bit louder with a much more refined sounding GROWL.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:26 PM
lupicon
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

OP--some good advice through this entire thread.
I have Borla and like it, but note that it WILL change the TONE. There is loudness and tone to consider here. Many on here want to deepen the tone and make it more "muscle like" which is understandable.
To be honest, I like both tones and sometimes miss the higher pitch scream at WOT with the stock setup. The nice thing about these C7's is they do play in 'exotic' territory--both in performance and looks, so I personally don't believe there is anything 'wrong' with the stock tone, let alone what Corsa does to enhance the scream. It suits the car in my own view.

The Borla sounds mean and mad and has its own particular charm, but in a way it 'cheapens' that exotic sound too. One thing you want to avoid is sounding like a UPS truck. Not suggesting the Borla's do this of course, but they move the car toward more of rumble and less refined sound.

I like my Borla X pipe and between cost, weight savings and sound it's hard to beat as far as X pipes go. I'm happy I changed out the stock pipe, but if I did it over again I might do Corsa just to amp up the high scream pitch which was a great sound as well.

Either way, you cant go wrong with either as many have stated.

Last edited by lupicon; 01-02-2019 at 10:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lgi24 (07-21-2021)
Old 01-03-2019, 02:41 AM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 588 Likes on 519 Posts

We have the Borla in stock!!

-Josh
Old 01-03-2019, 12:55 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default If your looking for the best "performance" the X-pipe counts.

Originally Posted by lupicon

Either way, you cant go wrong with either as many have stated.
In the real world (dragstrip/street) where it really counts!!! The Corsa slowed 'my car' down compared to stock; check previous post here and ones that I have posted in the past on this subject where I was looking for an increase in performance from the corsa mainly due to the larger 3" tubing. Well, I was wrong.

I have never tried the Borla so I don't know. However being that the borla uses the same size tubing as stock (original GM engineering) without any converters there is a good chance that this X-pipe would improve the performance along with being the lightest of the three i.e. stock, corsa, borla.

Note: From what I have read & seen (Z06, etc.) the manufactures sometimes reduce the sizing of the exhaust tubing the further it gets away from the source (exhaust manifolds) to keep the exhaust flow speed up; as the exhaust gases cool they shrink (less volume) and slow down so reducing the diameter keeps the exhaust 'flow' speed up. I'm sure many things go into the design for the best performance i.e. hp (flow), length, diameter, bends, etc. As they say "BIGGER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER".

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 01-12-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:01 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

Thanx for the offer Justin! I live in Kennett Square, PA, a suburb of Philadelphia. I’m afraid that by the time we get together in “Pennsy” we may be in the middle of a big snow storm! LOL! I would like your thoughts of picking the Borla pipes over the Corsa. I’m a regular fan and subscriber of your channell!
Guys, if you haven’t checked out Justin’s channell, “Horse Power Obsessed”, please do so!! Really Top Notch!! Dr Bob
Also the reasons I went with Borla over Corsa were: lighter weight, cheaper, better performance, better sound (IMO), and there was a local guy selling one.

After hearing both in person I think the Borla has a more "American V8" sound. There isn't a HUGE difference between the 2 in sound so if you are doing it specifically for sound you can't go wrong either way. There are a few dyno sheets out there that show the Borla does add a little more power over the Corsa so if that's a concern that's the route I'd go (and DID go)
The following 2 users liked this post by HorsePowerObsessed:
Dr Bob (01-03-2019), Z0HS1CK (01-03-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 07:22 AM
Dr Bob
Instructor

Great to be back in the Corvette community!! Thanks again for everyone’s input with the thread. The Borla 60547 was ordered yesterday. After install I’ll give you guys my “two cents” with a little feedback!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr Bob:
C7/Z06 Man (01-04-2019), HorsePowerObsessed (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 10:30 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

best Vette exhaust ever.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:39 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

^^^ lmao

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-13-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:56 PM
Dr Bob
Instructor

The exhaust “dilemma” is over for me. I had the Borla X Pipe installed this morning. My first impression is that the Borla generally “ENHANCES” the sound. When I first started the engine post install I was pleasantly surprised. I was concerned that the result would be that of a typical “muscle car”. But as Justin has stated earlier we have a high end sports car and not so much of a typical muscle car. As such, for me at least, that is precisely what I wanted...an enhancement! The Borla amplifies and complements just enough!!
HorsePowerObsessed (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 01:59 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

The exhaust “dilemma” is over for me. I had the Borla X Pipe installed this morning. My first impression is that the Borla generally “ENHANCES” the sound. When I first started the engine post install I was pleasantly surprised. I was concerned that the result would be that of a typical “muscle car”. But as Justin has stated earlier we have a high end sports car and not so much of a typical muscle car. As such, for me at least, that is precisely what I wanted...an enhancement! The Borla amplifies and complements just enough!!
Well put! I totally agree!
Old 01-11-2019, 07:37 PM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 246 Posts

Thanks Dr Bob, this goes along way in helping me with my own decision
HorsePowerObsessed (01-11-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 08:32 PM
ONEBADZ
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I went with the Borla 60547 X pipe and the Atak axle back with the NPP and black tips. Bought it from Josh at Meraki Autoworks. I Love the sound. Bought the mild to wild switch used from a forum member but I always leave it on wild.
Absolutely no drone whatsoever. To me the factory axle back with the 60547 only sounded good when I got on it. With the NPP fuse pulled. I wanted that deep rumble louder sound all the way through the power band and at idle. The Atak does that. I had the Borla S Type II with Kooks headers on my C6 GS and was very happy with it also.

Last edited by ONEBADZ; 01-12-2019 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Added
MerakiAutoworks (01-13-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 10:36 PM
Plstxmd
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Look at the line speed
Old 01-13-2019, 07:17 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by ONEBADZ
I went with the Borla 60547 X pipe and the Atak axle back with the NPP and black tips. Bought it from Josh at Meraki Autoworks. I Love the sound. Bought the mild to wild switch used from a forum member but I always leave it on wild.
Absolutely no drone whatsoever. To me the factory axle back with the 60547 only sounded good when I got on it. With the NPP fuse pulled. I wanted that deep rumble louder sound all the way through the power band and at idle. The Atak does that. I had the Borla S Type II with Kooks headers on my C6 GS and was very happy with it also.
Why spend the extra money to keep NPP if you're going to keep it on "wild" at all times? Seems like you went with the most expensive options. Hell, even if you wanted to keep NPP for resale and just always leave the valves open, you could have saved a couple of bucks (plus install time) and just pulled the fuse.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:04 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Hey any pics of the C6?

Only because i had a C6 GS with kooks headers and a borla s type that i traded in. Always wondered where my old car ended up at lol
Old 01-13-2019, 10:44 AM
ONEBADZ
Pro

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Why spend the extra money to keep NPP if you're going to keep it on "wild" at all times? Seems like you went with the most expensive options. Hell, even if you wanted to keep NPP for resale and just always leave the valves open, you could have saved a couple of bucks (plus install time) and just pulled the fuse.
I thought I explained why. I installed the Borla X pipe with the factory NPP exhaust first and ran it with the fuse pulled. I only got the sound and volume I wanted when I was in the throttle hard. I wanted the rumble and volume all the time though the whole power band and normal driving. One big reason I went with the Borla axle back is because they offer it with NPP. I think it's a pretty cool and like to have the option if I need to quiet it down some. The Atak is much louder than factory. I just haven't done that very much. The system with NPP wasn't that much more $$ than the the one without. I also wanted to replace the tips with the black ones. I'm taking all of the stainless Chrome stuff off of my car. That's why I choose to go the way I did on my car. But hell if you're happy with the factory exhaust with the fuse pulled and need to save the money then by all means go that way with your car.

Get notified of new replies

To The Dilemma of Borla vs Corsa!!

Old 01-13-2019, 10:55 AM
ONEBADZ
Pro

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
Hey any pics of the C6?

Only because i had a C6 GS with kooks headers and a borla s type that i traded in. Always wondered where my old car ended up at lol
Sure, here's a couple. I installed the headers and Borla. I traded it for the Z in Montgomery AL on Memorial Day last year.

Last edited by ONEBADZ; 01-13-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:55 PM
BLK06ZO6
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I thought I explained why. I installed the Borla X pipe with the factory NPP exhaust first and ran it with the fuse pulled. I only got the sound and volume I wanted when I was in the throttle hard. I wanted the rumble and volume all the time though the whole power band and normal driving. One big reason I went with the Borla axle back is because they offer it with NPP. I think it's a pretty cool and like to have the option if I need to quiet it down some. The Atak is much louder than factory. I just haven't done that very much. The system with NPP wasn't that much more $$ than the the one without. I also wanted to replace the tips with the black ones. I'm taking all of the stainless Chrome stuff off of my car. That's why I choose to go the way I did on my car. But hell if you're happy with the factory exhaust with the fuse pulled and need to save the money then by all means go that way with your car.
I think you absolutely made the right move. If I had gone with Borla I would have done the same thing. Its great to have NPP function just in case you want it, even if you don’t use it
ONEBADZ (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 01:27 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 588 Likes on 519 Posts

Thank you sir!

-Josh
ONEBADZ (01-13-2019)

Quick Reply: The Dilemma of Borla vs Corsa!!