C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Hit large bump in the road

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 01:00 AM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

have not seen anywhere near as many issues with cups vs Z06 wheels
Old 01-08-2019, 12:11 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by RegnaR
have not seen anywhere near as many issues with cups vs Z06 wheels
The fact that there are SO MANY more Z06 wheels in the data pool than Cups probably plays a significant factor in reports, or lack thereof of issues with the Cups.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:58 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Are there that many more Z06 wheels out there? Cup wheels have been around a long time + on all the GS's
Old 02-06-2019, 09:38 AM
kazoo794
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

That was my question, my dealer said that the Z06 wheels could not be straighten that they would break. I had a hard time believing that. I hit a pot hole and bent all four rims. I want to have them straighten and sell them on ebay.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:06 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

I read the title of this thread and immediately thought "this guy must live in CA". Why? Because the roads here suck. Seems CA isn't so unique in this regard after all.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:33 AM
kazoo794
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in the DMV, Washington, DC Metro Area and the roads here are just as bad.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:00 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by DWillys
I read the title of this thread and immediately thought "this guy must live in CA". Why? Because the roads here suck. Seems CA isn't so unique in this regard after all.
Having traveled to California many times to visit family I can tell you Southern California Roads are excellent compared to roads in the Northern Tier States. The lack of infrastructure maintenance that has been going on in all of those states over the last 60 years along with the many freeze/thaw cycles that hit the roads every winter just tears them up. It is the difference of hunting for a pot hole to hit Vs hunting for some conceivable path to avoid hitting the pot holes you see scattered across the road in front of you.

Bill
Old 02-06-2019, 12:28 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Having traveled to California many times to visit family I can tell you Southern California Roads are excellent compared to roads in the Northern Tier States. The lack of infrastructure maintenance that has been going on in all of those states over the last 60 years along with the many freeze/thaw cycles that hit the roads every winter just tears them up. It is the difference of hunting for a pot hole to hit Vs hunting for some conceivable path to avoid hitting the pot holes you see scattered across the road in front of you.

Bill
Serious potholes around Chicago after the deep freeze we just had.

I ran over one of those joints last fall. All seems well but I have concerns since I had a cracked wheel before and never had air loss. Will find out if I'm ok at spring oil change.
(Bought the Z with 30K miles. An inspection found a cracked wheel. Drove it while waiting for new wheel to arrive at dealership)

Last edited by Carvin; 02-06-2019 at 12:29 PM. Reason: added
Old 02-06-2019, 12:47 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

I live in a no freeze area and the roads are in really bad shape. It is all due to 3 factors - cheap initial install, heavy traffic, and shoddy or no maintenance. It is a common sight to see an area 5'x20' that is breaking up everywhere and it has been fixed by throwing one or at most two shovels of asphalt at the very worst spot. Asphalt roller? We don't need no stinking asphalt rollers! Let traffic do that.

I learned to drive in Montana. I thought the roads there were horrible and often they were. I then moved to CA. Now when I go back to Montana I'm impressed on how good their roads are.

Quick Reply: Hit large bump in the road