C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Dealers know the 100-Octane tune?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 11:30 AM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

I'd put methanol injection or E85 on a car way before I started trying to increase the octane of gasoline style fuels.

It just isn't worth it over 93 if the engine is expensive. Even 112 octane leaded racing fuel isn't really 'good' next to the meth/ethanol.

The real problem is the temperature due to gasoline. The higher octane gasoline allows higher temps but it does not solve the temperature problem, which radiates throughout the engine/bay and approaches temperature thresholds for every piece of equipment. There no temperature control.

Imagine if you had a frying pan capable of 1300*F maximum, but the cooking oil was only good to 1100*F before it caught fire.
Then one day you find cooking oil that is good to 1500*F.

Well guess what, the pan is going to melt when it passes 1300*F, but instead of setting off warnings/knock sensors/EGT data, it just overheats and melts.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:02 PM
snampro
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
I'd put methanol injection or E85 on a car way before I started trying to increase the octane of gasoline style fuels.

It just isn't worth it over 93 if the engine is expensive. Even 112 octane leaded racing fuel isn't really 'good' next to the meth/ethanol.

The real problem is the temperature due to gasoline. The higher octane gasoline allows higher temps but it does not solve the temperature problem, which radiates throughout the engine/bay and approaches temperature thresholds for every piece of equipment. There no temperature control.

Imagine if you had a frying pan capable of 1300*F maximum, but the cooking oil was only good to 1100*F before it caught fire.
Then one day you find cooking oil that is good to 1500*F.

Well guess what, the pan is going to melt when it passes 1300*F, but instead of setting off warnings/knock sensors/EGT data, it just overheats and melts.
If I didn't have a warranty on the car I'd already have a bigger supercharger and a performance tune. This is just a way to keep the car from pulling timing unnecessarily...
Old 01-09-2019, 12:57 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Just curious - after this mod what do you do when you're not on the track? Keep using 100 octane? Let the knock sensor handle things when using regular street fuel?
Old 01-09-2019, 01:17 PM
snampro
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
Just curious - after this mod what do you do when you're not on the track? Keep using 100 octane? Let the knock sensor handle things when using regular street fuel?
I've been reading posts and articles for the last few months. seems a lot of people either just run 93 on the street, or add BOOSTane to 93. There's no reason you can't run 93 most of the time with the tune unless you drive like a maniac all the time in the summer. When it is hot, I will always have 100 Octane in the tank. When I travel, I'll have BOOSTane with me in case I can't get 93 or better. Right now, in the Winter, with colder temps, cold Winter tires, and the possibility of gravel/debris in corners on the roads, I won't be pushing it and will just run 93...most of the time, anyway.

Ordered the "Kit" through VOSS Chevrolet, will update when I get the tune installed.
The following users liked this post:
Maxpowers (01-10-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 07:13 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by snampro
Duncan Oil has a few locations around. One close to me is on Factory Rd, fill up some race cans and take it home.

But you can still use 93 in the car from all the searching and reading I've done on the various forums...
when I want some extra power I use this.cheap and works greak.32oz on a full tank gets you 100 oct i.dont run it all the time and you should not either, but cheap fun once in a while.
Amazon Amazon

Old 01-10-2019, 03:23 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by snampro
If I didn't have a warranty on the car I'd already have a bigger supercharger and a performance tune. This is just a way to keep the car from pulling timing unnecessarily...
I think I understand. however timing related gains are... negligible. I mean, to me they are. To some people its all about the peanuts, I guess, but I never nickel and dime my ****. Its either 400, 500, or 600, ya know what Im sayin? there aint no room for 402 or 408 (+8 hp is a joke)

That said. If I was in this position I think I would just install a nitrous setup (+100hp), stealthily, reversibly. Again, nickles and dimes... noty
Old 01-12-2019, 05:27 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I run Boostane in every tank so I don't have to worry about fuel quality, 1 can will give me 3 tanks and around 95 octane per tank. Considering BMS air filter, Borla X-Pipe rear cat delete and the 100 octane tune, would have to run more Boostane obviously...Not ready to mess with tune while under warranty, my dealership has an excellent Corvette mechanic and is lightly modded friendly.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:42 PM
snampro
Burning Brakes

"Kit" came in today. Here's a pic, I haven't seen the sticker before, just heard it mentioned

Quick Reply: Dealers know the 100-Octane tune?