C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Corsa X-Pipe (i.e., Corsa #14761 Double Helixx) Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 05:01 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Default Corsa X-Pipe (i.e., Corsa #14761 Double Helixx) Impressions

I picked up a Corsa X-pipe for next to nothing from a friend just for the hell of it to see if it improved anything on the car. I researched for many, many hours the various threads on both the Borla and Corsa and was curious enough to see if it offered improvement in sound or power so I got it from my friend and threw it on.

I can honestly say it was a waste of time and money. VERY little money since it was close to a freebie. I can't feel any power improvement and timed runs showed no performance increase. FWIW, I wasn't expecting any as many threads have quantitatively proven hp/torque gains to be minimal at best.

What really surprised me is I hear minimal, if any change in the exhaust sound or tone all the way to redline. I thought it was just me so I had my son and a couple of friends very familiar with the C7Z platform give it a listen. They concurred they didn't really hear any difference. I know my car pretty well and it is a bit louder on cold startup with the Corsa but after that sounds the same as OEM.

Thought I would share our observations since the is a recurring topic of discussion and threads. I believe it was a complete waste of time and money as the OEM system doesn't really leave much, if anything, on the table. I'd be rather pissed it I had paid the price many forum members are paying for the pipe. I'll leave it on for now just cause I'm too lazy to pull it off and it's not hurting anything. I will pull it and sell it to some sucker when I get rid of the car. It really surprised me that the sound differential is minimal at best to a number of "trained" ears. It does not produce a more exotic sound on my car as MANY have stated.

I'm happy I did it just for a *****-and-giggles experiment as I was just curious. If I was expecting improvement I would be very disappointed. I think it's the typical psychological factor kicking in from people posting significant improvement. They want to convince themselves they didn't waste their money.

Not starting a pissing contest but just wanting to share my observation.

Rick
The following users liked this post:
Plstxmd (05-17-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 05:33 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

I dont know about the Corsa, but my Borla DID makes a sounds difference!! No power pick up to be expected though!!!
Old 01-14-2019, 05:45 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

X-pipe has a very distinctive sound, more 21st century and not a 60s/70s V8 with "glass packs" note. Cool thing about late model performance cars are the variable exhausts. My bone stock '16 Z06 was a hoot with the various settings.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:39 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,149 Posts

Should have went with a borla lol

You WILL notice a sound difference. At idle and WOT. Even at partial throttle, i'd say 50%, when accelerating through the gears it's definitely louder and sounds more "raw".

And although you won't really feel it in the SOTP, but dyno proved it picks up power, i think 20hp etc.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:18 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 747 Likes on 561 Posts

I've seen numerous videos between Borla & Corsa and the difference is definitely there. The Borla sounds throatier or deeper and the Corsa sounds higher pitched more exotic.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:55 PM
SharkgrayVetteZ06
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I installed a Corsa x pipe, and it definitely makes the car a little louder and it makes it raspier, there is definitely a distinct difference when you add the x pipe, it also gets rid of your secondary cats and you definitely notice the difference.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:19 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,623 Likes on 1,742 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

AKRAPOVIC You WILL notice sound and performance!
dee zed (05-25-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 09:01 PM
BLK06ZO6
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkgrayVetteZ06
I installed a Corsa x pipe, and it definitely makes the car a little louder and it makes it raspier, there is definitely a distinct difference when you add the x pipe, it also gets rid of your secondary cats and you definitely notice the difference.
I agree. It’s a fun cheap mod that changes the tone and increases the volume of the exhaust most notably on throttle.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:57 AM
GhostBluZ06
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I noticed a nice difference when my buddy installed just a corsa x on his bone stock 16 Z. Good bit louder 50% throttle and above and as someone said above tone is more raw.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:55 PM
bluekey28
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

After considerable thought, took the chance & installed a Corsa X-pipe on my '17 Z06. Fit & finish out of the box looked great. With basic tools & skills, actually a fairly easy install. Sound, particularly on start up is explosive. Without a dyno, hard to know hp & torq numbers but without cat restriction & with a smooth 3" X-pipe, there must be some better numbers. Love the sound as well.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:12 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 588 Likes on 519 Posts

^ Agreed!!

-Josh
bluekey28 (05-25-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 06:02 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I noticed a difference with the x pipe. It was an improvement but not all I wanted so I went to the extreme mufflers and there’s your noise.

I got that system boxed up in the garages for sale if anyones interested. Posted in the parts section.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:43 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

I had the opposite experience with my Borla Xpipe.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:29 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
I had the opposite experience with my Borla Xpipe.
It does sound amazing at wide open throttle.

I just wish my car was louder at idle and part throttle. It's still quiet during those.

But i'm not trying to spend 2 grand on axlebacks lol
Old 05-27-2019, 10:18 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
It does sound amazing at wide open throttle.

I just wish my car was louder at idle and part throttle. It's still quiet during those.

But i'm not trying to spend 2 grand on axlebacks lol
I have a Borla S-Type Axleback system in my Garage that I took off my Z51 before trading it in. I had it installed along with the Borla X pipe. I will say while it was a real amazing sound, it became annoying as my Vette is my daily driver. When I got the Z06 I decided not to go down that path again. There are times I miss the extra noise, but not as often as I enjoy the quiet interior. My neighbors thank me as well for not making the Z06 insane,

I put ARH mids on the Z51 after the Borla stuff and it really made no difference in sound except at WOT. Every cop in the county could hear me if I was at full throttle.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:58 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
I have a Borla S-Type Axleback system in my Garage that I took off my Z51 before trading it in. I had it installed along with the Borla X pipe. I will say while it was a real amazing sound, it became annoying as my Vette is my daily driver. When I got the Z06 I decided not to go down that path again. There are times I miss the extra noise, but not as often as I enjoy the quiet interior. My neighbors thank me as well for not making the Z06 insane,

I put ARH mids on the Z51 after the Borla stuff and it really made no difference in sound except at WOT. Every cop in the county could hear me if I was at full throttle.
That's understandable. If your car is a daily, then yeah have a happy medium.

I do appreciate the ability to keep the car silent though, when i'm on longer cruises. But pretty much like 90% of the time, i want it LOUD. I don't really use this car early early morning nor do i use it late at night so that's not an issue. It's a weekend car but when i use it, i drive everywhere. Like 200-250 miles a weekend. And because these cars look amazing, i want the sound to back it up. The car is loud, but only when you get on it hard. I want it to be loud just idling there lol
Old 05-29-2019, 12:29 AM
thelastday
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by bluekey28
Sound, particularly on start up is explosive.
Yeah, cold starts in track mode with the garage door down... D: Forget about scaring the kids - it scares me...

Get notified of new replies

To Corsa X-Pipe (i.e., Corsa #14761 Double Helixx) Impressions

Quick Reply: Corsa X-Pipe (i.e., Corsa #14761 Double Helixx) Impressions