C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Auto vs. Manual comparison review video

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 07:48 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

Yeah, it's badass, for sure, but to go from "we will never offer our best performance car in an auto" to "yeaaaaah, **** the manual" is just a slap in the face to the enthusiasts that want a manual, not because it's "better", but because of the thrill of the experience. I get that autos now can be better, but to be honest, I dislike DCTs. I've driven a few and they're annoying. They have to predict your driving behavior and since I drive in traffic, my driving behavior is pretty unpredictable to a transmission. Flooring it to make a gap and then backing off real quick will blow the mind of a DCT. I'm sure on the track it will run circles around a manual and if I raced as a profession, then sure, I'd want what's going to get me the W. Even on the track though, I want what's the most fun and I just feel like manuals are a more fun and engaging experience. I don't fault you at all for wanting the auto, but that's never going to be what I WANT, though it may have to be what I accept.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:55 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,485 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I have both an A4 in my C5 vert and the M7 in my C7Z. I know the technology has really improved the automatic transmission over the years, however with the issues surrounding the A8 (Corvette and other GM vehicles) I'm proud to say that the A4 in my C5 has been rock solid and a great performer for 15 years. However, the M7 with ARM and my Borla X-pipe is a blast to drive. Plus, it's the most fun theft-deterrent system I've ever had.

Last edited by MSG C5; 02-01-2019 at 10:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
timmyZ06 (02-02-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 09:00 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I have both an A4 in my C5 vert and the M7 in my C7Z. I know the technology has really improved the automatic transmission over the years, however with the issues surrounding the A8 (Corvette and other GM vehicles) I'm proud to say that the A4 in my C5 has been rock solid and a great performer for 15 years. However, the M7 with ARM and my Borla X-pipe is a blast to drive. Plus, it's the most fun theft-deterrent system I've ever had.
haha! so true about theft deterrent! And you're absolutely right about the ARM, though I have to say I do feel like I'm cheating a little by using it. Damn it's nice though! I never enjoyed the heel-toe method and mostly just ended up controlling my clutch release to make the revs "match" that way. Less efficient, but less of a pain in my ***. One could make that exact same argument about manually shifting and if you hate shifting, absolutely true! I love rowing the gears though, so I'm glad to have a manual and i love me some ARM. Though more times than I care to mention people have thought I was revving AT them at stop lights and whatnot, thinking I wanted to race. No one wants to race your 98 busted *** camaro!!!
Old 02-01-2019, 09:55 PM
Checkmate1
Burning Brakes

Received 212 Likes on 128 Posts

Great video. I enjoyed watching a well shot and produced video. Hope to see more content on the Z06.

To the OP, you should definitely consider the DSC Suspension controller and the DSC alignment as it will revolutionize your car.

I went from owning a Z06 that could barely put it’s power down to now (post DSC) being in a hot rod Miata that puts power down in any gear.

Would love to see your video on that.

Being that you are in NJ, it’s an easy haul for you to DSC/TPC Racing in Jessup, MD.

With regard to why our cars have an Auto is 3 reasons-

Reason # 1
At the time of the C7 development, there were no DCT transmissions that could handle the wrath of the LT4. The sheer torque and power at the bottom end would easily overwhelm a DCT (particularly at a mass produced price point). A torque convertor was the only solution.

Reason # 2
The Chassis and Kinematic development of the C7 caused severe restrictions to the size of the transaxle tunnel. A DCT (especially one built for the LT4) would simply not fit in the available space.

Not sure how many of you also know that the MT and A8 Torque tube in the Z06 and ZR1 is Carbon Fiber. It was designed to withstand the torque of the LT4. This is why we see less documented issues with the LT4/LT5 than the A8 in the Stingray and Grand Sport. The CF Torque tube handles the vibrations in V4 (Eco) mode much better than the conventional steel tube in others. Note: The LT5 does not have an Eco mode so no issues there.

Reason # 3
The Torque convertor Auto offered the best in Streetability. No DCT jerkiness during creep or stop n go traffic.

I knew what I was getting into with the A8. I know the engineering constraints GM had to deal with to make this happen (especially during the dark days of the GM bankruptcy)

Someday (hopefully soon), there will be an aftermarket solution that unlocks the potential of the A8 and fixes the inconsistent shift delays.

Till then, I will pretend to have the shift speed of a Single Clutch Sequential in a 430 Scuderia.

Last edited by Checkmate1; 02-01-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:22 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
I DD mine, in traffic, every day. And I've DDed a manual in bumper to bumper traffic every day for my entire professional career. I've never thought "man I wish I had an auto". Auto is no different. You gotta sit there holding the brake in. At least in a manual, you can let off the clutch and hold NO pedal while it's in neutral, or even while you're rolling if you work it right.
You weren't aware that the automatics have neutral too?

Old 02-02-2019, 07:19 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
You weren't aware that the automatics have neutral too?
Yes, but then you're grabbing a shifter and moving it back and forth... so much work! That's the argument against manuals, right? Not to mention this: "you should not shift out of "drive" when stopped at a light [or traffic]. That does not spare the transmission excess wear and tear. On the contrary, every time you shift from "park" or "neutral" into "drive," you jolt all the moving parts of the drive train. The engine couldn't care less, but the transmission, the differential, and the CV joints will suffer." Our cars don't have CV joints, but the rest applies
Old 02-02-2019, 02:26 PM
xkilo16x
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 51 Posts

@Checkmate1 That's for the comment. I've always wanted to get the DSC controller but I didn't know they were able to crack it for the 19MY yet. The only downside is that I won't be tracking this car as often. But more traction is always welcome.

If so, I have no problem taking a nice little road trip down to MD to get it installed.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:11 PM
Checkmate1
Burning Brakes

Received 212 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by xkilo16x
@Checkmate1 That's for the comment. I've always wanted to get the DSC controller but I didn't know they were able to crack it for the 19MY yet. The only downside is that I won't be tracking this car as often. But more traction is always welcome.

If so, I have no problem taking a nice little road trip down to MD to get it installed.
No worries. They cracked it for the MY 19' Z06 and ZR1. All good. Go ahead.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:24 PM
mau
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great video!!
Really like your rims!! What is the manufacturer and model if you don't mind sharing?
Old 02-03-2019, 12:53 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, but then you're grabbing a shifter and moving it back and forth... so much work! That's the argument against manuals, right?
In bumper to bumper stop-and-go traffic? No, it's the nearly continuous use of the clutch. The shift lever rarely needs to be moved.
Not to mention this: "you should not shift out of "drive" when stopped at a light [or traffic]. That does not spare the transmission excess wear and tear. On the contrary, every time you shift from "park" or "neutral" into "drive," you jolt all the moving parts of the drive train. The engine couldn't care less, but the transmission, the differential, and the CV joints will suffer."
Nah. You can barely feel it, and it's nothing compared the jerks which occasionally come with shifting a manual, or the forces which come from high throttle openings.

Our cars don't have CV joints, but the rest applies
I'm pretty sure they do have CV joints.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:12 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

I just don't even have words... Yes, in bumper to bumper traffic, you should rarely have your foot on the clutch. If you're foot is always on the clutch, you're doing it wrong. And it's not about how it "feels" to you, it's about what it does to the car. Google it. "Hey bro, smoking this meth feels great! Doesn't FEEL bad, so how could it BE bad for me??" And yes, you're right, they have CV joints. I was thinking about front wheel drive, but brain farted on IRS. Our cars don't have live axles like every mustang I've had.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:47 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I just don't even have words... Yes, in bumper to bumper traffic, you should rarely have your foot on the clutch.
But what I actually said was " bumper to bumper stop-and-go traffic". If you can stop and go in your manual without using the clutch (uless you are facing downhill or someone is pushing you), you have accomplished something remarkable!
And it's not about how it "feels" to you, it's about what it does to the car. Google it.
No need for me to google it. Post the google references you think have value, and then we can discuss whether or not they actually know what they are talking about.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:29 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Ok, you know you don't HAVE to glue your car to the one of the car in front of you, right? You let them get about 100 feet (maybe 50 if you're on a 4 lane so people don't start swooping in front of you) ahead of you, then as they start to go again, you put it in gear and ease off the clutch, then you're rolling too. if you start to get close, you pop it out of gear (don't even need to engage the clutch) and you coast. There should be very minimal braking and clutching. "stop and go" is actually the BEST kind of traffic to not have to use your clutch in. But whatever, we're not going to see eye to eye on this. As far as doing a bunch of research to convince you, I'll pass as you'll just say they aren't credible sources or they're outdated or the moon was out of phase when they were documented or something. I'll just stick to liking my manual, even in traffic, and you can stick to your mind-numbingly disengaging auto. It's pointless to argue about it.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:01 AM
xkilo16x
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mau
Great video!!
Really like your rims!! What is the manufacturer and model if you don't mind sharing?
@mau Thanks! Those are Signature SV104 18x11 and 19x13.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:31 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I'll just stick to liking my manual, even in traffic, and you can stick to your mind-numbingly disengaging auto. It's pointless to argue about it.
Self-canceling turn signals, intermittent windshiled wipers, and power windows have taken all the engagement out of driving.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:37 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Self-canceling turn signals, intermittent windshiled wipers, and power windows have taken all the engagement out of driving.
While you're being unbelievably obtuse, I actually agree except for power windows. Not to mention none of those things have anything to do with the driving experience. Now if you said power STEERING did that, at least you'd be making a relevant statement, but you can't even troll right. We're done here. UNSUBSCRIBE.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:38 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,230 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Ok, you know you don't HAVE to glue your car to the one of the car in front of you, right? You let them get about 100 feet (maybe 50 if you're on a 4 lane so people don't start swooping in front of you) ahead of you, then as they start to go again, you put it in gear and ease off the clutch, then you're rolling too. if you start to get close, you pop it out of gear (don't even need to engage the clutch) and you coast. There should be very minimal braking and clutching. "stop and go" is actually the BEST kind of traffic to not have to use your clutch in. But whatever, we're not going to see eye to eye on this. As far as doing a bunch of research to convince you, I'll pass as you'll just say they aren't credible sources or they're outdated or the moon was out of phase when they were documented or something. I'll just stick to liking my manual, even in traffic, and you can stick to your mind-numbingly disengaging auto. It's pointless to argue about it.
Well to his argument, stop and go in a manual is the worst. My daily is a manual and whenever I see brake lights and it looks like a parking lot I say to myself, F*CK!!

thankfully the traffic doesnt last longer than 15 min or so so the constant clutching isnt that bad but some people tolerate it better than others. I knew what I was getting myself into when I leased this car. And when the lease is up, no more manual for me for my daily. F that.

Despite me raving about manual, auto is the way to go.....IF it's a good auto. The a8 isnt lol. Which is why I got the m7.

but by the time my lease is up, dodge will have the new 2020 widebody charger scatpack and that's what I'm getting.

because it has the awesome zf trans
Old 02-04-2019, 10:01 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,735 Likes on 875 Posts

Great job on that C-5 interior.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:59 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by xkilo16x
Thanks! That's wild, lol. Every video I post, someone always seems to come up with a new celebrity reference. Never thought I'd get the Rock though.

@Carvin He said that the first race, he was in the wrong gear. I think the race would've been much closer if I had started at 40 in 2nd gear instead of 60 in 3rd.

@Road machine For sure, what town are you in?
I am in Hunterdon County, by Clinton.

Quick Reply: Auto vs. Manual comparison review video