C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

First post, basic questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 02:47 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Detroit Bill......Just thinking about your comments and my impressions.....

A ZR1 is over the top and hard to handle...I've heard a number of comments on the the new ZR1, but "hard to handle", not yet. And if you want to talk about hard to handle, see Superformance comment, below.
Next on my list is Porsche 911 Turbo(991 used), that is expensive and boring for the expense. And you're at a price point that's close to double a C7 Z06 and the servicing costs are completely outrageous....close to Ferrari & Lambo rates.
After that is gets more difficult. Audi R8? The R8 is German. I am not a Japanese car guy. If you get into a used Lamborghini, or Ferrari is is a money pit and more attention than I want. What alternatives am I missing. With my Cobra as a baseline I need a lot of HP.
Here is the Cobra spinning in first and second short shifting until third.Yes, your Cobra will spin in many gears. It is so traction limited it is ridiculous. It has none, or at best a very few, of the current safety features of a C7 Z06 and on any day, any weather, the Z06 will beat up that 427 Superformance Cobra in most categories. That car is simply a very high horsepower roller skate...tough and scary to go fast in and control. It's a great conversation piece at a mall Car Show on a Saturday night, but not something you can take seriously for any kind of driving....and I'll bet you already know that.

What I'm hearing is you want a fast car, one that is distinctive in that very few people own or even have ever seen, is "reasonably" priced and not over the top for parts and service. Unless you want to try something exotic and used (i.e. a Ferrari, a Lambo, a McLaren, etc) and the Corvette is not distinctive enough (which it likely isn't), your best bet might be a Dodge Demon, if you can find one.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:20 PM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Bill
if you buy new with the discounts, you still get a reduced price for a trip to spring mountain and Ron Fellows performance driving school. That is a great experience and well worth your time and money.
Good luck and welcome to the Z06 family.
Bill
Old 02-09-2019, 05:02 PM
Detroit_Bill
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by tzoid9
Detroit Bill......Just thinking about your comments and my impressions.....

A ZR1 is over the top and hard to handle...I've heard a number of comments on the the new ZR1, but "hard to handle", not yet. And if you want to talk about hard to handle, see Superformance comment, below.
Next on my list is Porsche 911 Turbo(991 used), that is expensive and boring for the expense. And you're at a price point that's close to double a C7 Z06 and the servicing costs are completely outrageous....close to Ferrari & Lambo rates.
After that is gets more difficult. Audi R8? The R8 is German. I am not a Japanese car guy. If you get into a used Lamborghini, or Ferrari is is a money pit and more attention than I want. What alternatives am I missing. With my Cobra as a baseline I need a lot of HP.
Here is the Cobra spinning in first and second short shifting until third.Yes, your Cobra will spin in many gears. It is so traction limited it is ridiculous. It has none, or at best a very few, of the current safety features of a C7 Z06 and on any day, any weather, the Z06 will beat up that 427 Superformance Cobra in most categories. That car is simply a very high horsepower roller skate...tough and scary to go fast in and control. It's a great conversation piece at a mall Car Show on a Saturday night, but not something you can take seriously for any kind of driving....and I'll bet you already know that.

What I'm hearing is you want a fast car, one that is distinctive in that very few people own or even have ever seen, is "reasonably" priced and not over the top for parts and service. Unless you want to try something exotic and used (i.e. a Ferrari, a Lambo, a McLaren, etc) and the Corvette is not distinctive enough (which it likely isn't), your best bet might be a Dodge Demon, if you can find one.
Your comments on the Superformance are off base. It has limited traction as does the Z06. Its a real car no traction control. You can’t just mash it to the boards and go it takes skill. It handles quite well. Again the gas pedal is variable you can’t just mash it to the boards there is no computer to bail you out. I have never been to a mall car show so I would not know.

An Audi is obviously German. I am saying any Japanese car is not on my list. I worked for one of the big three for 15 years.

From my name Detroit Bill you may have guessed I am in the heart of car country. A very competent driver crashed a ZR1 at the Detroit Grand Prix in a way that should not have happened.......because it is hard to handle.

If a 700+ hp car is not hard to handle something is very wrong.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:10 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Whatever you say Detroit Bill, whatever you say.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:32 PM
Detroit_Bill
Racer

Originally Posted by tzoid9
Whatever you say Detroit Bill, whatever you say.
Glad we understand each other.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:52 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Originally Posted by Detroit_Bill
Glad we understand each other.
Good conclusion Detroit Bill, good conclusion.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:19 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Not sure where all those new leftover 2018's are with M7 and competition seats and dealers offering 20%OFF. I bought 3 weeks ago and found 1 black 2018 and a dealer very unwilling to deal. Found my 2019 at 13% OFF from Hendrick in Duluth, GA. Delivered 360 miles to my house for free and no added dealer processing fees.

As as for the Z07, really not sure us mere mortals need that upgrade. I ran 2:07 at VIR full course with stock bolts lowered and Toyo R888R's so I can drive to/from the track. As for consumables, carbon ceramic was not going to be in my future, just too darned expensive. Here's what I've seen in 2 years of tracking Z06's with iron brakes.

Consumable / Cost / Longevity

- BRAKE FLUID, $100 Castrol SRF, you'll need 1.5 quarts to flush/fill properly. Lasts all year, bleed every 4 track days.
- BRAKE PADS, $360 Hawk DTC 60/70, 6-8 track days.
- BRAKE ROTORS, $1,000, GM front and rear, 6-8 track days.
- TIRES, $1,150 Toyo R888R's, SimpleTire, 6-8 track days.
- TRANS/DIFF, $250 flush, 6-8 track days.
- OIL, $150, change after 2 track days
- GAS, $5 gallon at the track, 8mpg, you do the math, LOL

*some of the above is just good car maintenance and insurance.

Equipment
- WHEELS, 18" Forged, $3K from Deity Signature.
- LUGNUTS, $20, open end required for most series events
- TOW HOOKS, $150, ZL1-add ons, just in case
- NUMBERS, $1 - $60, required for most series

Last edited by cvp33; 02-10-2019 at 07:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Detroit_Bill (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 01:10 PM
Detroit_Bill
Racer

Default Great information

Originally Posted by cvp33
Not sure where all those new leftover 2018's are with M7 and competition seats and dealers offering 20%OFF. I bought 3 weeks ago and found 1 black 2018 and a dealer very unwilling to deal. Found my 2019 at 13% OFF from Hendrick in Duluth, GA. Delivered 360 miles to my house for free and no added dealer processing fees.

As as for the Z07, really not sure us mere mortals need that upgrade. I ran 2:07 at VIR full course with stock bolts lowered and Toyo R888R's so I can drive to/from the track. As for consumables, carbon ceramic was not going to be in my future, just too darned expensive. Here's what I've seen in 2 years of tracking Z06's with iron brakes.

Consumable / Cost / Longevity

- BRAKE FLUID, $100 Castrol SRF, you'll need 1.5 quarts to flush/fill properly. Lasts all year, bleed every 4 track days.
- BRAKE PADS, $360 Hawk DTC 60/70, 6-8 track days.
- BRAKE ROTORS, $1,000, GM front and rear, 6-8 track days.
- TIRES, $1,150 Toyo R888R's, SimpleTire, 6-8 track days.
- TRANS/DIFF, $250 flush, 6-8 track days.
- OIL, $150, change after 2 track days
- GAS, $5 gallon at the track, 8mpg, you do the math, LOL

*some of the above is just good car maintenance and insurance.

Equipment
- WHEELS, 18" Forged, $3K from Deity Signature.
- LUGNUTS, $20, open end required for most series events
- TOW HOOKS, $150, ZL1-add ons, just in case
- NUMBERS, $1 - $60, required for most series
Thanks for the reply and great information. There are very few 7 speeds out there. Kinda odd if you ask me.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:59 AM
tzoid9
Drifting

Originally Posted by Detroit_Bill
Thanks for the reply and great information. There are very few 7 speeds out there. Kinda odd if you ask me.
Criswell Chevrolet in Thurmont, MD has 6 new 2019 Z06's with 7 speed manuals. Two are 2LZ's and four are 1LZ's and all are priced in the $70K+ range.
And, as you are likely aware, the automatics far outsell the manuals not because the automatic is a "better" transmission, it's just easier to drive and apparently the cross section of Corvette buyers want that. If you look at dealer purchased inventory across the country, automatics far outweigh the manuals purchased by the dealers.The real surprise is there is NO guzzler tax on the M7's but there is a guzzler tax on the A8's.

Quick Reply: First post, basic questions