Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership oil changes

Old 02-07-2019, 05:14 PM
Ggpz06
CF Senior Member

Default Dealership oil changes

So my first 500 mile oil change went bad at the dealer. All was good until they damaged my front splitter. I still have 2 free oil changes. Should I give the dealer another shot or do most change your own oil?
Old 02-07-2019, 05:21 PM
B&BVettes
CF Senior Member

Find another dealer.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:22 PM
Doctor Mark
CF Senior Member

If it was me, I would do it myself. Then again, I have a lift and have changed my own oil for almost 40 years.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:30 PM
Mr. Gizmo
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Doctor Mark View Post
If it was me, I would do it myself. Then again, I have a lift and have changed my own oil for almost 40 years.
the issue with this is if there is an issue with the motor itís good to have dealer documented oil changes.

If they fixed the opís splitter I guess itís not a big deal other then the hassle of taking it back in for the repair and risking other collateral damage
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Gizmo For This Useful Post:
doggman (02-07-2019), tzoid9 (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 05:49 PM
dmaxx3500
CF Senior Member

go back to the same dealer ,give them a chance
Old 02-07-2019, 06:05 PM
SLEEKVET
CF Senior Member

I had a dealer screw up my car (chipped wheel on tire change) and they made it good again. Maybe give them a chance if they will fix it and if they won't fix it, then escalate your case.

I used up my free oil changes then started doing my own for 1/2 the price and way faster than waiting at the dealer. I have my receipts and documented the date, mileage, reset the oil monitor and receipts of the filter and Mobil 1 oil so I don't believe they can deny that you warranty if you did the oil change. Its actually easy to do it yourself. I have Race Ramps to get the car off of the ground and finish in about 30 minutes.
The Following User Says Thank You to SLEEKVET For This Useful Post:
Vegas1500 (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 06:20 PM
andreas g.
CF Senior Member

Iíve always done my own on all my corvettes.
8 of them. I use race ramps. Piece of cake and piece of mind.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:24 PM
Kevova
CF Senior Member

What did dealer say about splitter?
Old 02-07-2019, 06:25 PM
TXshaggy
CF Senior Member

Iíve been taking my Z06s exclusively to dealers for the past 15 years without a hickup. With that being said I choose dealers that are recommended by local Corvette clubs and sell a lot of Vettes....anything less and youíre asking for a problem.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:50 PM
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member

I do my own.

I don't have an indoor garage, nor a lift. I take my front wheel off, put a jack stand, and do my oil change. From start to finish, including removing and reinstalling the wheel, takes 30 minutes. And that's taking my time too.

Definitely beats going to the dealer, waiting, then waiting more, then hoping while you're waiting it's done right, then getting the car back, then doing a walk around making sure nothing was damaged, then popping the hood to check the oil to make sure it was filled to the proper oil level, then driving home.

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that doing your own is not only faster, but gives more peace of mind.

I'll start taking my cars to places to get my oil done when i'm 70 years old.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:56 PM
CF Senior Member

With my 1st Z06 there was an engine issue at about 800 miles and I had done my own 500 mile oil change. The dealer asked if it had been done. I told them that I had taken care of it myself, and I showed them receipts for the oil purchase, and there was no further discussion. The car was properly repaired under warranty with out any other questions.

With my 2nd Z06, since I had gotten to know and trust Criswell's service department, all 3 "free" oil changes were done by them with no issues.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:12 PM
Connman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Ggpz06 View Post
So my first 500 mile oil change went bad at the dealer. All was good until they damaged my front splitter. I still have 2 free oil changes. Should I give the dealer another shot or do most change your own oil?
My dealer did the same thing. Ran it right into the lift ramp and put a nice 2" gash in the CF. Got a brand new one for free, but it was the principle to me... Haven't been back since.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:43 PM
Doctor Mark
CF Senior Member

I am 72 and still do my own changes. At least I know it has been done correctly and with proper care. Usually dealerships entrust oil changes to the least trained personnel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doctor Mark For This Useful Post:
RobGZ06 (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 08:16 PM
eaglesnick

All depends on how they handled the issue. If they fixed/replaced the splitter without issue and to your satisfaction then why not go back. If they gave you a hard time or didn't fix it to your satisfaction or replace it then go elsewhere. We are all human and we all make mistakes, it's how they handle the issue that what counts.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:38 PM
Vegas1500
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ggpz06 View Post
i think you answered your own question.....do it yourself, save the stress.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:26 PM
mto

Originally Posted by eaglesnick View Post
All depends on how they handled the issue. If they fixed/replaced the splitter without issue and to your satisfaction then why not go back. If they gave you a hard time or didn't fix it to your satisfaction or replace it then go elsewhere. We are all human and we all make mistakes, it's how they handle the issue that what counts.
I agree. Sometimes your determine how good service really is by how they resolve a problem.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:38 PM
stoessjc
CF Senior Member

Took mine to local dealer for first two. First one, no problem. Second one, damaged the rocker panel doing something wrong lifting the car. They repaired the car and gave me the updated MRC software no charge. I have one more free oil change and will take it back to the same dealer. After all, lightning doesn't strike twice, right????
Old 02-08-2019, 01:57 AM
01Defense
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Doctor Mark View Post
I am 72 and still do my own changes. At least I know it has been done correctly and with proper care. Usually dealerships entrust oil changes to the least trained personnel.
Agreed!
Old 02-08-2019, 02:05 AM
01Defense
CF Senior Member

I dread going to the dealer! It's a crap shot that your baby will make it out absent any damage due to negligence. Recently, all four of my wheels were scuffed during an alignment. So I have to deal with issue when I return home. Take it to a dealer who services a number of C7Z06s.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:15 AM
Sk8Man_
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

My car came with 5 free oil changes. After reading here on the forum of the problems others had I asked a dealer if I could go into the service area to witness the oil change and was told that I could not for liability reasons. I decided then that I would do all my own as free oil changes are a very small cost in comparison to "horror". You can with a bit of shopping get the oil very reasonable on through Amazon. I do not have my own lift and preferred to not use a lift or ramps, so I went to a well known, here in Texas, quick oil change service provider that has the drive-over below-ground oil bays and asked if I could pay rent for one of their oil bays and be allowed to do my own oil changes. Their answer was, "Yes, no problem, but we will have to put one of our Techs with you for safety reasons and he can assist if you have a need." They charge me a total of $35.00, I furnish my own oil, filter, and labor; it has worked out great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealership oil changes

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: