C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

DSC Controller Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 07:28 AM
salcolkat
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts
Default DSC Controller Question

I am considering the DSC controller for my 17 M7 non Z07 Callaway 757. I don't track the car. I have heard that the controller is a night and day difference, but to be honest i heard the same thing about the GM update which i had done and did not notice any difference at all. I checked on the site as described by someone on the forum to see if the update was actually done and it came up as being done. So before i purchase the unit i would like to know if anyone has NOT noticed a difference with the DSC controller.
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 08:21 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

I'm probably going to make this worse. I just sold my 2016 Callaway that had the DSC controller and alignment. The 2016 before/after was night and day. I was able to drive my 2019 Z06 with revised MRC shock mapping back to back with the 2016 and I could tell no difference in any of the driving modes.

Now that doesn't mean you won't see a difference in your car. See why I said I'd probably make this worse?
salcolkat (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 08:49 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,137 Posts

Originally Posted by salcolkat
I am considering the DSC controller for my 17 M7 non Z07 Callaway 757. I don't track the car. I have heard that the controller is a night and day difference, but to be honest i heard the same thing about the GM update which i had done and did not notice any difference at all. I checked on the site as described by someone on the forum to see if the update was actually done and it came up as being done. So before i purchase the unit i would like to know if anyone has NOT noticed a difference with the DSC controller.
I'm in the same boat as you. I was supposed to be purchasing the DSC controller this spring so when i drop the car, get the alignment, and install the DSC. But i too am wondering if it's really worth it.

Some people say it's night and day, some people say, "eh i felt a difference, not much". So it really all depends on your wallet if you wanna cough up the dough to experiment and/or how much you're driving the car to see if it's beneficial. And of course how long you're going to keep the car.

I am leaning towards not getting the DSC afterall even though i wanna feel the difference but because i don't drive the car often, only on the weekends but i do drive a lot on those weekends, i feel like getting a DSC won't be benefit me because i hardly drive the car, about 5-6k miles per year. ANd in about 2 years i'm getting rid of the car anyway for something else (waiting on the C8).

So it really all depends if the price is worth trying it out. But i always say, "prepare for the worst but still praying for the best".

Actually lil wayne said that lol. He's a rapper btw.
salcolkat (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 09:03 AM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 276 Posts

The controllers hold value extremely well. Buy used, and if you don't like it sell it. You won't be out any money.

Me personally... I love mine.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:18 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

$1,290 new, $700-$800 used. $590 to $490 loss?
Old 02-24-2019, 09:40 AM
salcolkat
Racer

I have heard that traction during acceleration is a big difference. Honestly that is probably something that would interest me as much as the handling.
Z0HS1CK (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 10:00 AM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

I don’t have a DSC controller but I have slept in a Holiday Inn I have a ‘16 Z & have followed these discussions always. JMHO but I believe most folks simply don’t/won’t take the time to set it up correctly (too complicated). Like folks who buy a high end 1080p/4K TV, don’t read or follow set-up instructions & then aren’t happy with the TV-DOH! They never get the “QUALITY” they paid for & blame the TV. It isn’t simply a “plug & play” device, it has to be calibrated to get the most out of it. Just saying.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:21 AM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

I have no idea what comes with a Callaway. I have a 2017 Z06 and installed the DSC controller. For starters there is a noticeable difference in ride quality in touring mode. The expansion joints don't try to loosen your fillings. Using the latest calibration file from DSC offers some more improvement in handling. You can however change a lot of settings if you use their software. As an example you can soften the shocks during the initial hit and stiffen them up down track depending on your velocity and a few other things. This is exactly what professional drag race teams do with door cars.

I would suggest you go to the DSC website, download their software, and play around to see exactly how and what you can change.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:35 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by madrob2020
I don’t have a DSC controller but I have slept in a Holiday Inn I have a ‘16 Z & have followed these discussions always. JMHO but I believe most folks simply don’t/won’t take the time to set it up correctly (too complicated). Like folks who buy a high end 1080p/4K TV, don’t read or follow set-up instructions & then aren’t happy with the TV-DOH! They never get the “QUALITY” they paid for & blame the TV. It isn’t simply a “plug & play” device, it has to be calibrated to get the most out of it. Just saying.
Probably true. I think mine is still a fair comparison as I drove to Jessup, MD and had my alignment and install done by DSC in their shop. Totally transformed my 2016 Z06. I will add that you could feel it in traction off-the-line, ride manners in track mode and throwing the car into a corner. Never felt more planted.

Now here's the head-scratcher. My 2019 with revised shock mapping feels just as good. I know as both cars were in my garage for a week and I could drive them back to back. GM has definitely (at least on my car) gotten the alignment right and with the revised shock mapping, the car's ride manners right. I also went to VIR 3 weeks ago and tell you there was no difference at speed which is the true test.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:37 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,137 Posts

I have heard that traction during acceleration is a big difference. Honestly that is probably something that would interest me as much as the handling.
That's what i heard too. And that sport feels less "twitchy". I basically leave my car in sport 95% of the time unless i'm approaching a known road that is really bumpy, then i'll switch to touring.

I am keeping my eye on the FS section just in case lol. But i probably won't get it as i'm itching for a new toy lol
Old 02-24-2019, 11:24 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by cvp33
$1,290 new, $700-$800 used. $590 to $490 loss?
No I said buy used. So $0 loss if you dont like it
Old 02-24-2019, 11:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

It depends on what you were expecting to be different. With the MRC Update the only street difference I noticed is the harshness is taken out of sharp bumps. Makes the ride better but is subtle and more than likely not noticeable on smooth roads. Where I noticed it was on a section of road that had a bunch of ripples in the pavement from patched pot holes and sun heating distortion. I did notice the car handled better at the limit on track and helped me reduce my lap times at VIR. If you haven't been cornering hard on a track you may not have noticed the improved handling the MRC update provides. I am pretty sure the MRC update wasn't developed for drag race launches but for launches off a corner where the steering wheel is unwinding while the throttle is being pushed down.

Bill
salcolkat (02-25-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 11:57 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

not to change the topic permanently, but real quick, since callaway came out and tuned your car to make it run leaner to avoid requesting as much fuel in COT and avoid the p228c thing, have you managed to get it to throw the code or snap crackle pop after the retune at all this winter, in the cold?

I really thought about using my lemon credit money towards a callaway 757, that way i would have the warranty AND a car that can avoid p228c and also make more power than stock... but the way chevy works their replacement process is too difficult to get it to jive with the 757's, so i figure for the extra 20 grand those cars cost, im going to get an lt5 blower from crawford racing on my new car once i break it in and make sure the engine is stable under big stresses and make sure i did not get another lemon Byers already got his 19, up from his 16 model year, kept his same loan and all he said. I'm in no hurry because its all free miles at this point, and i want to see what the 2020's do (i have a hunch something better than a cool paint job is coming), and also in the meantime, use my car for mock-up template on the cooling upgrades we have working.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 02-25-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:25 AM
CaddyRacer
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

If you can't find a local person who has a DSC then ask about their return policy
Old 02-25-2019, 11:04 AM
ONEBADZ
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

I like others noticed the biggest improvement during normal driving in touring mode. It does handle the bumps, expansion joints much better and smother. Much better on road trips. I have not done any calibration or changes to the SW. Car will stiffen up and fills very close if not the same as stock when driving aggressive in track mode.
I'm happy with it and still have the factory controller so if I sell or trade the car I figured I would swap them back and sell the DSC controller and recoup most of $$$$.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:11 PM
salcolkat
Racer

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
not to change the topic permanently, but real quick, since callaway came out and tuned your car to make it run leaner to avoid requesting as much fuel in COT and avoid the p228c thing, have you managed to get it to throw the code or snap crackle pop after the retune at all this winter, in the cold?

I really thought about using my lemon credit money towards a callaway 757, that way i would have the warranty AND a car that can avoid p228c and also make more power than stock... but the way chevy works their replacement process is too difficult to get it to jive with the 757's, so i figure for the extra 20 grand those cars cost, im going to get an lt5 blower from crawford racing on my new car once i break it in and make sure the engine is stable under big stresses and make sure i did not get another lemon Byers already got his 19, up from his 16 model year, kept his same loan and all he said. I'm in no hurry because its all free miles at this point, and i want to see what the 2020's do (i have a hunch something better than a cool paint job is coming), and also in the meantime, use my car for mock-up template on the cooling upgrades we have working.
I managed to take it out one cold day after Callaway made the changes and got it up to 165 MPH with no code thrown, but then the northeast winter took over so i only had one try so far but so far so good.
Mikec7z (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 10:41 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

That alone is a huge perk to the callaway kit right there. A warranty and no p228c or p0089!? You are a lucky man

Did they come to your home or to your dealer? I'm amazed how receptive they were when Byers and I talked to them about a year ago... I can tell when someone understands what we are explaining, VS when someone thinks they know everything and actually know very little. They are absorbant fast learners over there. I was impressed that almost instantly in our convo with the person we were talking to, he was very thankful and understanding of what we were explaining to them. It was like this eureka moment for him, you could tell.

Its kind of hard to lemon a car when the people who build it are willing to fix it first try. +1 for callaway Flying/Driving to your town to tune your car in person, +2. Meanwhile GM is at about -25 with all the failures our gang has had so far on the stock vettes

So far though, no fails on the 19's but have not had them in super cold weather yet. Their bigger pump seems to solve it, as we predicted it would.

Alright, back to DSC talk.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 02-25-2019 at 10:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Controller Question

Quick Reply: DSC Controller Question