C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Meth System question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 07:18 PM
BigJay08
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Meth System question

I was wondering if anyone has compared the Snow stage 4 meth system with full stainless lines to the alky control system? I only ask this cause I have read a lot of posts here where most people run the alky kit and prefer it because of quality. However, it seems like the snow system was being compared with the plastic line version.

Long story short if i end up having to run meth to keep my car cool this summer i’ll have to choose a system & im torn for this reason. Alky looks like its the highest quality. The snow stainless kit in stage 4 seems to have the most adjustability with some potential add on features.

What would you recommend, here is my mod list
16 - Z06 with factory blower
2.1 upper pulley
AFE cold air
Tony Mamo ported throttle body
Corsa Off road x pipe
corsa extreme axle back
Mighty Mouse catch can
cordes performance upgraded heat exchanger
big 3 racing expansion tank
brian tooley racing stage 2 cam with VVT retained.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:07 PM
OG_Pokey
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

All the big shops (read highly used shops with good reputations) that frequent these pages will tell you alkycontrol, hands down. I trust the collective and that's what is on my car.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:18 AM
gonabite
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJay08
I was wondering if anyone has compared the Snow stage 4 meth system with full stainless lines to the alky control system? I only ask this cause I have read a lot of posts here where most people run the alky kit and prefer it because of quality. However, it seems like the snow system was being compared with the plastic line version.

Long story short if i end up having to run meth to keep my car cool this summer i’ll have to choose a system & im torn for this reason. Alky looks like its the highest quality. The snow stainless kit in stage 4 seems to have the most adjustability with some potential add on features.

What would you recommend, here is my mod list
16 - Z06 with factory blower
2.1 upper pulley
AFE cold air
Tony Mamo ported throttle body
Corsa Off road x pipe
corsa extreme axle back
Mighty Mouse catch can
cordes performance upgraded heat exchanger
big 3 racing expansion tank
brian tooley racing stage 2 cam with VVT retained.
Do you currently have these mods done to your car, or is this what you plan on doing? Also why do you feel your car isn't going to run cool in the summer time?
Old 02-27-2019, 06:52 AM
BigJay08
Racer

I have all of these mods done right now except for the cam and upgraded heat exchanger. The cam and heat exchanger is being installed right now and wanted to plan for if my intake temps needs cooled down. The shop I’m using recommends the snow kit because they can peogram and claim they can get better tuning with it because it’s setup like a fuel map vs a two point range.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:40 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

I have all of these mods done right now except for the cam and upgraded heat exchanger. The cam and heat exchanger is being installed right now and wanted to plan for if my intake temps needs cooled down. The shop I’m using recommends the snow kit because they can peogram and claim they can get better tuning with it because it’s setup like a fuel map vs a two point range.
Bigjay I don't know what your shop means by stating the Alky system is a two point system. It uses a variable speed pump which ramps up the injection rate based on MAF as I understand it. This is a very tunable system that I have used on two Corvettes. I don't know anything about what snow is selling now so I can't speak to whether they now produce a better system than Alky but until major tuners switch I doubt it. If your shop feels more they can do a better job with the newer Snow system and they are installing and tuning I would take their recommendation.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:07 AM
BigJay08
Racer

To answer your question, they told me the that the snow kit allows them to develop a 2d ramp up map that is a little more controllable than the dial setup on the alky.
The following users liked this post:
Harbgrogan (11-22-2020)
Old 02-27-2019, 10:20 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

To answer your question, they told me the that the snow kit allows them to develop a 2d ramp up map that is a little more controllable than the dial setup on the alky.
Let us know how you like the new snow system. One thing you might look at is installing a cubby meth tank in the rear. I used the WW tank on my first install and I like the rear tank a lot more.
The following users liked this post:
Harbgrogan (11-22-2020)
Old 02-27-2019, 10:29 AM
BigJay08
Racer

Thanks, but i haven't decided which system yet, but I'm leaning towards the alky kit and installing it myself and just having the shop do the tuning. Mostly cause the install price is pretty expensive and i could handle the install.

Question for you, I've seen a lot of people say to run the WW tank cause then the pump is closer to the engine and there is no delay for the pump to spray.. Why do you like the rear tank and did you have any delay problems in the pump priming pressure ?
Old 02-27-2019, 12:41 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 761 Likes on 517 Posts

Here’s one install guide that Ant did a while back

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...m-in-a-c7.html

Last edited by 123sugey; 02-27-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:43 PM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 123sugey
Here’s one install guide that Ant did a while back

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...m-in-a-c7.html
Very good install guide. On my car the rear tank is mounted in the rear drivers side cubby (1.5 gallon), the pump is mounted in the rear coming out of the tank. My controller is mounted in the rear in the battery compartment. The rear tank has a low level switch which is tied into the low WW washer indicator. The meth pressure indicator light is mounted in the drivers side vent just behind the directional damper. Once the line from the rear tank is primed and full there is no delay in meth delivery to the nozzle. I like retaining my WW for normal use. Weapon X did the install & tune on my car.

Last edited by jstewart; 02-27-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:58 PM
BigJay08
Racer

I really like the idea of having it mounted in the rear of the car because it looks like it would be easier to service etc. Im in cleveland and taking it down to cincy wouldn't be bad for an install. Can you share with me what they charged for the install?
Old 02-27-2019, 04:54 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

I have the Snow level 1 kit and using the WW tank. After a few times of opening the wheel well up and closing it gets real fast. I've had to open mine several times at no fault of the kit but rather me. And I also added the AEM filter on another occasion. You can still run your washers when using the tank. It also gives you the low fluid factory warning when low. And as far as size, unless you are WOT consistently it's big enough to last a long time. You only flow at a preset point of boost pressure which means you are WOT or almost anytime the pump is running.

Only thing I don't like is not having a safety device to lower timing advance and/or add fuel should I have a meth failure. Without a safety device for the engine it's probably best to tune so the same tune is safe even without meth. Of course then you only get cooling and no extra power from the system.

Last edited by 8850; 02-27-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:02 PM
BigJay08
Racer

Originally Posted by 8850
I have the Snow level 1 kit and using the WW tank. After a few times of opening the wheel well up and closing it gets real fast. I've had to open mine several times at no fault of the kit but rather me. And I also added the AEM filter on another occasion. You can still run your washers when using the tank. It also gives you the low fluid factory warning when low. And as far as size, unless you are WOT consistently it's big enough to last a long time. You only flow at a preset point of boost pressure which means you are WOT or almost anytime the pump is running.

Only thing I don't like is not having a safety device to lower timing advance and/or add fuel should I have a meth failure. Without a safety device for the engine it's probably best to tune so one the same tune is safe even without meth. Of course then you only get cooling and no extra power from the system.
I completely agree with you. I’m going to try to avoid meth if I can but I will admit that there is a great amount of appeal to having low intake temps. Ive noticed in the summer last year vs last fall my car pulled much harder in cool weather. My goal would be to have the tuner make the tune safe for AFR no matter if the meth sprays or not and lastly pull timing much sooner as the temps rise to prevent any knock. Basically a safe tune that doesn’t pick up as many HP is possible but yet focuses on what gains could be had while making sure my motor doesn’t pull HP out in the hot months.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:07 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

I completely agree with you. I’m going to try to avoid meth if I can but I will admit that there is a great amount of appeal to having low intake temps. Ive noticed in the summer last year vs last fall my car pulled much harder in cool weather. My goal would be to have the tuner make the tune safe for AFR no matter if the meth sprays or not and lastly pull timing much sooner as the temps rise to prevent any knock. Basically a safe tune that doesn’t pick up as many HP is possible but yet focuses on what gains could be had while making sure my motor doesn’t pull HP out in the hot months.
With stock tables these cars are very sensitive to temperature. I went from my first pass at 133 mph in 90* ambient air to 121 mph on the next. My manifold temperature got up to 183* and advance down to less than 10* at the lights. Did not get a log of the first so don't know what my temp was on that run but had to be less than the second pass.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:30 PM
BigJay08
Racer

Wow... I’ve also heard from other and gm that these cars pull 100-200hp out via timing with heat being the cause. I had the expansion tank and just added the heat exchanger upgrade hoping for some improvements but not too confident ha!
Old 02-28-2019, 10:00 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow... I’ve also heard from other and gm that these cars pull 100-200hp out via timing with heat being the cause. I had the expansion tank and just added the heat exchanger upgrade hoping for some improvements but not too confident ha!
Jay I am out of town & don't have the pricing info you requested with me. Call or e-mail Weapon X and ask for the info. They are hit & miss about answering the phone but e-mail seems to work. They were very patient with all the noob questions I asked over 4 to 5 months before I committed to having them do the work for me. Great people to work with.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:57 PM
AZGASSER
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by jstewart
Let us know how you like the new snow system. One thing you might look at is installing a cubby meth tank in the rear. I used the WW tank on my first install and I like the rear tank a lot more.
Any issue with a meth smell in the car? I have the WW tank now but here in MO there are times having wiper fluid would have been nice. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:42 AM
gonabite
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AZGASSER
Any issue with a meth smell in the car? I have the WW tank now but here in MO there are times having wiper fluid would have been nice. Thanks in advance.
No smell.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:22 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AZGASSER
No not so far and I think I would have noticed. The car sat for 4 weeks in my garage with the windows up because of weather here and there was no odor when I got back in the car. So far no downside at all.

Get notified of new replies

To Meth System question

Quick Reply: Meth System question