Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Supercharger swap

 
Old 03-15-2019, 09:15 PM
  #21  
Mr. Gizmo
CF Senior Member
 
Mr. Gizmo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 4,851
Thanked 296 Times in 238 Posts
Default



keep us posted on how the track days go with the later model supercharger.

Seems like the intercooler tank isnít under extreme pressure like the radiator. A vendor should make a kit for the stock tank that would allow filling the tank from a port with a filler tube right into the top of the tank.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 03-15-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Mr. Gizmo is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 09:18 PM
  #22  
badhabit_wb
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Location: in the country North Carolina
Posts: 2,211
Thanked 235 Times in 212 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo View Post


keep us posted on how the track days go with the later model supercharger.

Seems like the intercooler tank isnít under extreme pressure like the radiator. A vendor should make a kit for the stock tank that would allow filling the tank from a port with a filler tube right into the top of the tank.
Even a bleed valve would help considerably. That and a line that brought the tube up to the fender where it was easy to reach would solve a lot of issues.
I'll report after I run it at VIR. I'll be there the 10th of April and the 20th and 21st. That should give me enough data. I'm also trying out an external oil cooler.
badhabit_wb is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 09:22 PM
  #23  
Mr. Gizmo
CF Senior Member
 
Mr. Gizmo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 4,851
Thanked 296 Times in 238 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb View Post
Even a bleed valve would help considerably. That and a line that brought the tube up to the fender where it was easy to reach would solve a lot of issues.
I'll report after I run it at VIR. I'll be there the 10th of April and the 20th and 21st. That should give me enough data. I'm also trying out an external oil cooler.
When I got my car new the tank had huge bubbles in it. Probably only half to 2/3rds full. Dealer bled the system and the car does run better most of the time as the pump isnít cavitating but it still has sizable bubbles. I am wondering if I just jam a clear 2 or 3 foot long tube over the filler port and fill it with dexcool and just let it sit for a week or 2 if coolant would slowly trickle in and fill the tank.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 03-15-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Mr. Gizmo is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 09:29 PM
  #24  
badhabit_wb
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Location: in the country North Carolina
Posts: 2,211
Thanked 235 Times in 212 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo View Post
When I got my car new the tank had huge bubbles in it. Probably only half to 2/3rds full. Dealer bled the system and the car does run better most of the time as the pump isnít cavitating but it still has sizable bubbles. I am wondering if I just jam a clear 2 or 3 foot long tube over the filler port and fill it with dexcool and just let it sit for a week or 2 if coolant would slowly trickle in and fill the tank.
Nope. You might get a few bubbles out but the port that air escapes from is below the top of the tank. That's why jacking up the car helps.
badhabit_wb is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 09:34 PM
  #25  
Mr. Gizmo
CF Senior Member
 
Mr. Gizmo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 4,851
Thanked 296 Times in 238 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb View Post
Nope. You might get a few bubbles out but the port that air escapes from is below the top of the tank. That's why jacking up the car helps.
makes sense. Jam the tube on leave it sit for a week with the front of car raised up. I might give that a try and report back
Mr. Gizmo is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Gizmo For This Useful Post:
Mikec7z (03-17-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 09:48 PM
  #26  
badhabit_wb
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Location: in the country North Carolina
Posts: 2,211
Thanked 235 Times in 212 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo View Post
makes sense. Jam the tube on leave it sit for a week with the front of car raised up. I might give that a try and report back
Can't hurt. The higher you get it the more likely it is to work.
badhabit_wb is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to badhabit_wb For This Useful Post:
Mikec7z (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 04:34 PM
  #27  
badhabit_wb
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Location: in the country North Carolina
Posts: 2,211
Thanked 235 Times in 212 Posts
Default


So being too **** for my own good I pulled the fender liner, jacked the car up, took the bolts out of the tank, and evacuated the rest of the air that I could get out of it using the GM tool.
badhabit_wb is offline  
Old 03-17-2019, 04:43 PM
  #28  
Mikec7z
CF Senior Member
 
Mikec7z's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Posts: 2,288
Thanked 387 Times in 310 Posts
Default

glad that you got it all sorted out and that tilting the car showed positive results (otherwise i would have felt bad for pushing you so hard to tilt it )

Anyway, for you or anyone else interested, having the incline scenario is the key. Go to super tilt at step 1.

Instead of spending a lot of time and work, its one of those things that, if checked on once every couple weeks, its only a 5 or 10 min job, and that is assume you are driving the car hard and often.

As far as the pump controller, the pump can be turned on just by going into accessory mode in the car, at the ignition. No pump on/off tool needs to be bought.

This does not need to be an expensive venture, or large amounts of time spent.

Just have a good spot to park the car and let it cool down and then go work on it later, and its already on the crazy incline. Or find a steep incline close to home or work, so its a short drive to get there so engine is not hot yet as you arrive to the incline and shut off the car.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-17-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Mikec7z is offline  
Old 03-17-2019, 04:56 PM
  #29  
badhabit_wb
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Location: in the country North Carolina
Posts: 2,211
Thanked 235 Times in 212 Posts
Default

Mike I had the front end jacked up until the back bumper was almost touching the ground I also had the tank loose and tilted as much as I could tilt is. I even shook it to move air. I DID NOT cycle the pump. I think it may be counter productive to a certain extent in purging the tank. Once the tank is purged cycle the pump to purge the supercharger bricks.
badhabit_wb is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to badhabit_wb For This Useful Post:
Mikec7z (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 05:02 PM
  #30  
Mikec7z
CF Senior Member
 
Mikec7z's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Posts: 2,288
Thanked 387 Times in 310 Posts
Default

i think you did a great job, i wasnt picking on you by any means...

im just saying for future reference, there is no point in putting any work until the car is at full tilt, and i understand what you mean about the rear of the car almost hitting the ground, thats how mine looks too, and im on an incline to begin with before i start jacking the car's front up... gets spooky, but some good blocks behind the rear tires helps add some comfort.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-17-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Mikec7z is offline  
Old 03-17-2019, 05:05 PM
  #31  
Mikec7z
CF Senior Member
 
Mikec7z's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Posts: 2,288
Thanked 387 Times in 310 Posts
Default

or you can just be like this guy ....

Mikec7z is offline  
Old 03-17-2019, 05:07 PM
  #32  
badhabit_wb
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Location: in the country North Carolina
Posts: 2,211
Thanked 235 Times in 212 Posts
Default

That and locked brakes. lol. I didn't think you were picking on me. I know you're trying to help. You are dead right about jacking it up. There's no way to evacuate it without jacking it that I've found.
badhabit_wb is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to badhabit_wb For This Useful Post:
Mikec7z (03-17-2019)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: