C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

OEM Supercharger swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 09:15 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

keep us posted on how the track days go with the later model supercharger.

Seems like the intercooler tank isn’t under extreme pressure like the radiator. A vendor should make a kit for the stock tank that would allow filling the tank from a port with a filler tube right into the top of the tank.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 03-15-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:18 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

keep us posted on how the track days go with the later model supercharger.

Seems like the intercooler tank isn’t under extreme pressure like the radiator. A vendor should make a kit for the stock tank that would allow filling the tank from a port with a filler tube right into the top of the tank.
Even a bleed valve would help considerably. That and a line that brought the tube up to the fender where it was easy to reach would solve a lot of issues.
I'll report after I run it at VIR. I'll be there the 10th of April and the 20th and 21st. That should give me enough data. I'm also trying out an external oil cooler.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:22 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
Even a bleed valve would help considerably. That and a line that brought the tube up to the fender where it was easy to reach would solve a lot of issues.
I'll report after I run it at VIR. I'll be there the 10th of April and the 20th and 21st. That should give me enough data. I'm also trying out an external oil cooler.
When I got my car new the tank had huge bubbles in it. Probably only half to 2/3rds full. Dealer bled the system and the car does run better most of the time as the pump isn’t cavitating but it still has sizable bubbles. I am wondering if I just jam a clear 2 or 3 foot long tube over the filler port and fill it with dexcool and just let it sit for a week or 2 if coolant would slowly trickle in and fill the tank.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 03-15-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:29 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

When I got my car new the tank had huge bubbles in it. Probably only half to 2/3rds full. Dealer bled the system and the car does run better most of the time as the pump isn’t cavitating but it still has sizable bubbles. I am wondering if I just jam a clear 2 or 3 foot long tube over the filler port and fill it with dexcool and just let it sit for a week or 2 if coolant would slowly trickle in and fill the tank.
Nope. You might get a few bubbles out but the port that air escapes from is below the top of the tank. That's why jacking up the car helps.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:34 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
Nope. You might get a few bubbles out but the port that air escapes from is below the top of the tank. That's why jacking up the car helps.
makes sense. Jam the tube on leave it sit for a week with the front of car raised up. I might give that a try and report back
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (03-17-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 09:48 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

makes sense. Jam the tube on leave it sit for a week with the front of car raised up. I might give that a try and report back
Can't hurt. The higher you get it the more likely it is to work.
Mikec7z (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 04:34 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

So being too **** for my own good I pulled the fender liner, jacked the car up, took the bolts out of the tank, and evacuated the rest of the air that I could get out of it using the GM tool.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:43 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

glad that you got it all sorted out and that tilting the car showed positive results (otherwise i would have felt bad for pushing you so hard to tilt it )

Anyway, for you or anyone else interested, having the incline scenario is the key. Go to super tilt at step 1.

Instead of spending a lot of time and work, its one of those things that, if checked on once every couple weeks, its only a 5 or 10 min job, and that is assume you are driving the car hard and often.

As far as the pump controller, the pump can be turned on just by going into accessory mode in the car, at the ignition. No pump on/off tool needs to be bought.

This does not need to be an expensive venture, or large amounts of time spent.

Just have a good spot to park the car and let it cool down and then go work on it later, and its already on the crazy incline. Or find a steep incline close to home or work, so its a short drive to get there so engine is not hot yet as you arrive to the incline and shut off the car.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-17-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:56 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Mike I had the front end jacked up until the back bumper was almost touching the ground I also had the tank loose and tilted as much as I could tilt is. I even shook it to move air. I DID NOT cycle the pump. I think it may be counter productive to a certain extent in purging the tank. Once the tank is purged cycle the pump to purge the supercharger bricks.
Mikec7z (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 05:02 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

i think you did a great job, i wasnt picking on you by any means...

im just saying for future reference, there is no point in putting any work until the car is at full tilt, and i understand what you mean about the rear of the car almost hitting the ground, thats how mine looks too, and im on an incline to begin with before i start jacking the car's front up... gets spooky, but some good blocks behind the rear tires helps add some comfort.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-17-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:05 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

or you can just be like this guy ....

Old 03-17-2019, 05:07 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

That and locked brakes. lol. I didn't think you were picking on me. I know you're trying to help. You are dead right about jacking it up. There's no way to evacuate it without jacking it that I've found.
Mikec7z (03-17-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 12:34 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Well I said I'd post back after VIR. No codes. No reduced power. No engine related issues at all. I am running 98 octane ethanol free but other than that stock. For me the supercharger upgrade is worth it. Ymmv.
Mikec7z (04-24-2019)

Quick Reply: OEM Supercharger swap