Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Performance air cleaner

Old 03-15-2019, 03:02 PM
Itsovr4u7

Default GM Performance air cleaner

Do you need dealer to flash pcm for maf calibration when they install it on 2017 zo6. Thanks
Old 03-15-2019, 09:30 PM
doggman
CF Senior Member

From what I have read, the GM CAI is mostly for eye candy, not for performance. Though, it does add about 11 hp. But, would you notice? That said, it should be a "plug and play" and not need anything additional, as far as programming. There is a lot of buzz about the BMS filter, which is a replacement filter only, but reportedly, adds noticeable performance results. I think it is about $100. YMMV.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:57 PM
Itsovr4u7

Thanks for the reply. I read the same thing but the stealership I called said they had to flash it. Iím sure itís BS they just wanted the extra $129. As far as BMS I was tempted but the whole warranty thing scares me. I hear they lean it out pretty good.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:50 PM
stoessjc
CF Senior Member

My local dealer said the same thing about flashing the computer. I told them they were wrong. I bought the airbox and the GM directions say nothing about upgrading the computer. If it was necessary, the instructions would tell the owner to install then take to GM dealership for reflash. The airbox is CARB certified and any computer changes would need to be done by GM for the CARB cert to be valid.

I tried installing mine and had fitment issues. Hood would not close and what others had done would not work for me. I am having the dealer install to see how they deal with this issue. It does look better than the factory airbox. GM advertises a performance claim of +15hp on Z06.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:07 AM
Mikec7z
CF Senior Member

they were seeing how many people who did not have the p0106 code reflash, were foolish enough to pay for it i believe.

Its free btw.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:29 AM
cvp33
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by stoessjc View Post
My local dealer said the same thing about flashing the computer. I told them they were wrong. I bought the airbox and the GM directions say nothing about upgrading the computer. If it was necessary, the instructions would tell the owner to install then take to GM dealership for reflash. The airbox is CARB certified and any computer changes would need to be done by GM for the CARB cert to be valid.

I tried installing mine and had fitment issues. Hood would not close and what others had done would not work for me. I am having the dealer install to see how they deal with this issue. It does look better than the factory airbox. GM advertises a performance claim of +15hp on Z06.
Not quite but close:

DESCRIPTION

84152141 Corvette 2014-2019 C7 Air Filter System Upgrade Kit
  • Designed and Engineered by Chevrolet Performance
  • Black with Corvette Jake Logo in Transparent Cover for Easy Filter Inspection
  • Fits 2014 thru 2019 Corvette LT1, LT4 and LT5 Models
  • 50 State Legal with EO-Label
  • Transparent Panel with "JAKE" Corvette Racing Logo
  • GM Dry Filter Design
  • When Installed by a GM Service Department the Full Vehicle Warranty is Maintained
  • LT1: 30% Less Restriction @ 350-Grams/Sec Flow
  • LT4: 28% Less Restriction @ 550-Grams/Sec Flow and a 11HP Gain
  • LT5: 26% Less Restriction @ 630-Grams/Sec Flow and a 17HP Gain
  • Complete Instruction Sheet Located in the "Documents" Tab
  • Replacement Air Filter Part Number 84372901
The Following User Says Thank You to cvp33 For This Useful Post:
Kyflyer (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 07:18 AM
tobaccokid
CF Senior Member

Generally they present no problems. Have had a much more aggressive CAI on my Z06 for two years with nothing but good results.

Last edited by tobaccokid; 03-16-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:54 AM
TBF
CF Senior Member

The BMS filter is a noticeable improvement in throttle response. It does not lean out the engine. The air to fuel ratio is computer set utilizing many inputs. The Mass Air Flow mounted in the tube between the throttle body and the air-filter lets the computer know how much air is flowing (CFM) while the exhaust gas sensor located in the exhaust collector tube before the catalytic converter lets you know how rich/lean the engine is running. Together they tell the electronic fuel injection how much fuel to provide to the combustion chamber! This is why the E-DFI system is superior to a carburetor. The BMS filter is less restrictive allowing air to move more freely increasing the CFM for a given throttle setting. Why does the original filter restrict the air flow. The manufacture has to meet certain noise and pollution settings for each state. The thicker filter element used in the stock filter helps muffle the engine intact noise lowering the overall noise level of the engine. It also provides cleaner air when partially dirty permitting the engine to pass EPA inspection with lower exhaust gas when the filter is dirty.

Bottom line. If you put an air filter that does not provide clean air to the engine after 3000 miles it will harm the engine. However if you run a clean filter all the time you will have max air flow and power all the time. If the filter is restrictive you will have less throttle response, the engine will run leaner due to less gas required for the less air. The worst thing is a filter that lets contaminates into the engine. This will increase wear and lower compression resulting in less power and possible engine failure.

Having a window with JACK on it is way cool for eye candy and great if you use it to tell when your the air filter is due replacement . NOTE: when you see discolor of your air filter it is not performing well so change it. I check my air filter when I change my oil and oil filter.

I appreciate the under hood mods some folks do so it looks different when the hood is open. My personal preference is the performance from 40 MPH when i push the skinny peddle to the floor, hear the whine of the supercharger just prior to the sexy rasp of the auto exhaust open up and my RPM goes from 1800 in 3rd (M7 trans) up to 6000 within seconds. I use my 2019 ZO6 LT2 M7 as a daily driver. Only mods - BMS air filter, corvette logo valve stem caps for looks
Old 03-16-2019, 09:16 AM
DevilDog II
CF Senior Member

Oldtimer

I had the GM performance CAI installed on my '16 Z06 and couldn't tell any difference in performance. It did not require a flash from the dealer. I ordered my '19 with the GM CAI. Anyone who claims to be able to tell a "seat of the pants" difference with any CAI, regardless of the brand, has a much more sensitive butt than I do.

Last edited by DevilDog II; 03-16-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:27 AM
2500 hd
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor Ď18-'19

So if I am reading this correctly, the GM Jake airbox will fit all C7's. I am trading in my Grand Sport for a ZO6.
I have one on my GS; So I can take it off the GS and put it on my new ZO6 ?
Old 03-16-2019, 02:11 PM
Puttnutt24
CF Senior Member

I've had my GM Performance intake now for a year without any problems, I'm sure it does help with air flow and it does make for a nice looking intake.
However I got much more of an increase in throttle response after I installed Katech's ported throttle body. That I definitely felt in the "seat of my pants"...

Last edited by Puttnutt24; 03-16-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:35 PM
Itsovr4u7

Does anybody know if the BMS filter fits in the GM Performance air box?
Old 03-18-2019, 10:06 AM
LarryFL
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2500 hd View Post
So if I am reading this correctly, the GM Jake airbox will fit all C7's. I am trading in my Grand Sport for a ZO6.
I have one on my GS; So I can take it off the GS and put it on my new ZO6 ?
Yes. GM CAI is for all C7's because its only the airbox and filter, not the tube (different between LT1 and 4).
Old 03-20-2019, 08:19 AM
2500 hd
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor Ď18-'19

Can someone take a picture of the Jake airbox on your ZO6, I can't seem to get the radiator coolant line around the airbox, it seems too tight.
Thanks...
Old 03-20-2019, 12:15 PM
Bob U
CF Senior Member

We need a BMS designed for the GM CAI. That would be the magic ticket.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:27 PM
glava2876
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2500 hd View Post
Can someone take a picture of the Jake airbox on your ZO6, I can't seem to get the radiator coolant line around the airbox, it seems too tight.
Thanks...
Here are a couple.

The Following User Says Thank You to glava2876 For This Useful Post:
2500 hd (03-20-2019)
Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM
mdolandese
CF Senior Member

How cool looking I like it

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: