C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Protecting your CCB's while taking the wheels off

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 11:52 PM
Gixxerman

Received 3,767 Likes on 2,139 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Reverse Logic Limited
816 Rising Sun Road
Telford, PA 18969

216-235-8584

e-Mail: fred@reverselogic.us

fred@reverselogic.us

Run about $60 for 3 $20 apiece The best I have seen not cheap quality... you get what you pay for..
Old 04-17-2019, 10:03 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Getting the wheel off when you are using a jack is the easier than using a lift. Just jack the car high enough to let the tire clear the ground once the lug nuts are loose, loosen the nuts and pull the wheel off the studs (steel stud will not be damaged by an aluminum wheel) once clear of the studs the wheel will drop on the ground and still have plenty of clearance from the rotors. Putting the tire back on when the car is at that level is a matter of lifting the tire enough to get it over the caliper, squatting down to rotate the wheel to the point the studs line up with the holes and shoving it on while lifting slightly. The big issue with the stud extenders is trying to get them line up with the lug holes in the wheel while you are holding the wheel away from the brake caliper. There you are holding the wheel trying to line up one extra long stud you can't see with a lug hole in the wheel that you can't see. If you go with the three extenders that are shown in some of the adds it is even worse since you are now trying to line up three studs you can't see with 3 holes you can' see.

If the car is on a lift you have the same problem. The only way to use the studs is to get the rotor and wheel at the same height that your view point is and lift the wheel to that point and shove it onto the extended studs. At that height it is actually easier to just aim for the short studs and as the wheel goes into the wheel well let it rest on the caliper while you rotate and lift for final mating.

By the way I have 3 of the ZL1 Stud extenders in their plastic cases that have sitting in my tool box for 3 years. They were used twice. I will consider offers if anybody is interested. Been there and done that and threw away the T Shirt.

Bill
Fully agree Bill if you are not a old guy with some arthritis like me. I used to do it the way you describe on my C6 but 10 years has made a big difference. Read everything here and the mag assist looks like the answer for me. No more money than the good quality extenders and it looks like it is easier to use.

John

Last edited by jstewart; 04-17-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:16 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by stoessjc
Try this to make removing the wheel even easier. As was stated earlier in this thread, raise the car just high enough for the wheel to clear the ground. Slide a piece of cardboard under the wheel. Then slide the wheel off. To install wheel, reverse steps. The cardboard makes it much easier to slide the tire off and slide the tire back on.
This is the method I have always used on my C6 & C7 Corvettes. Just decided to add the mag assist to make it even easier. Not concerned about the carbon discs on my C7, just my old much abused body.

John

Last edited by jstewart; 04-17-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:39 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 739 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by stoessjc
Try this to make removing the wheel even easier. As was stated earlier in this thread, raise the car just high enough for the wheel to clear the ground. Slide a piece of cardboard under the wheel. Then slide the wheel off. To install wheel, reverse steps. The cardboard makes it much easier to slide the tire off and slide the tire back on.
Far better than cardboard is one of these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1250-l...BoCqZYQAvD_BwE

In combination with three of Fred’s lug extenders it makes changing wheels, especially ones as damn heavy as those found on the Z06, etc. so much easier on your back, and minimizes the risk of damage to rotors and calipers.

Bish
The following users liked this post:
BKorsaire (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 07:59 PM
Harris
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Far better than cardboard is one of these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1250-l...BoCqZYQAvD_BwE

In combination with three of Fred’s lug extenders it makes changing wheels, especially ones as damn heavy as those found on the Z06, etc. so much easier on your back, and minimizes the risk of damage to rotors and calipers.

Bish
Bish, I have been looking at one of these, is says only 9 inch wide tires. Did you have to do anything to it to make it work with our tires?
Thanks, Gary
Old 04-18-2019, 10:10 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 739 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Harris
Bish, I have been looking at one of these, is says only 9 inch wide tires. Did you have to do anything to it to make it work with our tires?
Thanks, Gary
Gary,

Here is the actual one I purchased. Works with wheels up to 12” in width.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-Tools-1580-Stinger-Roller/dp/B000O1E4WU/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=wheel+dolly&qid=1555596792&s=automotive&sr=1-7 https://www.amazon.com/OTC-Tools-1580-Stinger-Roller/dp/B000O1E4WU/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=wheel+dolly&qid=1555596792&s=automotive&sr=1-7

Bish

Last edited by thebishman; 04-18-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:23 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Newton06

Hey Rich, did you see the Car & Driver video on Robert Mitchell's Apex Taxi in the LT600 at Nurburgring?
I did not see that. I'll have to go and find it. He's living the dream over there and I keep saying I am going to make it out to see him. I've sent a handful of people his way when they mentioned going to the Ring and every one of them had the time of their life.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:34 AM
Harris
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Gary,

Here is the actual one I purchased. Works with wheels up to 12” in width.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-Tools-158...omotive&sr=1-7

Bish
Thanks Bish

Gary

Quick Reply: Protecting your CCB's while taking the wheels off