C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

End of B to B warranty trip to Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 06:03 PM
flyboyslc1
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 46 Posts

Default End of B to B warranty trip to Dealer

I bought the 3LZ 2016 Z06 on March 31, 2016. With the Bumper to Bumper warranty soon to expire, I had a number of things on my list to have checked out before the general warranty expired and I am left with just the Powertrain warranty. I took the car to McGrath's in Cedar Rapids and I am totally satisfied with their service. The items I asked they check were:
1 My battery tender quit working- They replaced it free of charge.
2 Both wife and I noticed a rattle in the dash area, and I asked that they check it out. The rattle could not be duplicated, but they did tell me that both sun visors were not in their holders. I have not noticed the rattle again, so maybe they were right. But they were willing to look for the rattle, and would have done so under warranty.
3 I have 12,000 miles on the car, and it seemed like I was having some of the transmission shudder issues. A test drive with their "Corvette" guy confirmed it, and they performed the triple flush procedure under warranty. The mechanic told me the old fluid was hydroscopic and that is what is causing the issue.
4. It seemed to me that the differential was making more and more noise. I asked that they verify condition of the rear end and check fluid levels. They told me that the noise level I am hearing is considered normal. The cup tires were near the end of life, and may have been part of the noise.
5. I asked that they verify that the supercharger belt tensioner and original factory belt were playing nice together. I know there is a new green Gates belt available. They could not find any problem with this item so no work was done.

What they did find, that I had missed, was that the inner edge of the sport cup front tires had worn to the cords. I checked the tires pretty regularly, and the rest of the tire looked OK for another summer anyway. Not so, and I ordered new AS3 tires for the car from them. I could have saved $400 by going to TireRack but checking their local installers revealed that only one of them was willing to try the job, and they had just got "new equipment" I elected to not be that test dummy and paid the extra to have McGrath's do the job. After the new tires, they put it on the alignment rack and provided a "before and after" sheet for me to keep. The camber was reduced, and the mechanic drove the car and said it handled nicely. I will concur with that. It also seems that the tires are a little quieter and just a little softer, but maybe that is just the new versus old tires. I know run flats get louder as they get older. No more worries about how the car handles in cold weather. Or even if we can drive it in cold weather.

For all the discussion about bent and cracked wheels, my wheels at 12,000 appeared to be just fine. So we are ready for a summer of fun!
Old 04-18-2019, 08:56 PM
doggman
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

I bought my '18 pre-owned about 14 months into the warranty. Have only put about 1000 miles on it since Thanksgiving, so have some driving to do to get my list. Everything, so far, has been great. Have about a year left.

The AS3's are great tires, I had them on my C6 vert and really liked them. They definitely are perfect for year-round driving. I think Michelin has them as an 8 out of ten for handling, where the Cups are a 10 and the Sports are a 9. A bit of a trade-off, but depends on your driving habits.

Quick Reply: End of B to B warranty trip to Dealer