C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

These cars aren't cheap...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 11:41 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Road machine
...debt on a car like this is a killer of joy.
True story. My car payment is actually more than my mortgage and it makes me sad, except for when I'm in the driver seat.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:46 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
Get a nice c6z and upgrade the seats to Caravaggio and get the heads addressed. It’s a better car, lighter, the ls7 motor is more fun to drive with the high rpm rush. C7z has too much worthless tech. C6z is a sports car / c7z is a 2 door Cadillac.
Ah there's the Gizmo love for the C7. Haven't seen it in a while. Missed it!
Old 05-16-2019, 01:55 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Just to pile on. It's about being smart with your money. You have to make a pretty good coin, above average, but you don't have to be rich to have one. Damn, now I have a Prince song in my head and not Little Red Corvette.

Most people don't live within their means. By that most people say "How much home can I afford?" when house shopping. I picked a house that is about 1/3rd of what I am able to afford on my own without my girlfriend's income being considered. When it was time to car shop we bought nice vehicles but we purchased well below what we were able to purchase. Those things are allowing me to pay off the house in less than 5 years of ownership and not drain my bank accounts and still let us enjoy life. If that means I plop down $20k of a deposit on the C8 to guarantee I get the one I want? Then so be it and I will pay the balance when it's delivered. If I didn't do that most people would think I make about 1/3rd of that I actually do.

Another bean counter here.
Your logic is certainly good for some people, maybe even most people. The other way of looking at it is to buy as much house as you can afford when you're young. Now, the mathematics get fuzzy if you are single, or engaged to a person who has a nice job, or married and you have or are trying to have children, etc., all those dynamics. In many markets, not only is a home probably going to be one of your single largest investments or purchases, it sound also appreciate at a terrific rate. My son lives in Denver and his first house purchase after one year was valued at 10-15% more than he paid for it. Make the Corvette the second or third most valuable asset you have, once you get the largest one in control.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:13 PM
01lowbird
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
True story. My car payment is actually more than my mortgage and it makes me sad, except for when I'm in the driver seat.
This is going to be me as well lol
Old 05-16-2019, 03:15 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Agreed. Never a 1 size fits all. Just after seeing so many people go on the ragged edge, and beyond, of what they can afford that as soon as one hiccup presents itself **** hits the fan and they are truly screwed and sadly those who depend on them are screwed that I error on the side of safety.

This also coming from someone who quit a job making almost $50k a year to go back to school full time because I know I was being held back in my career by not having a piece of paper to hang on the wall. That was a little over ten years ago. I did not switch careers either. The income I lost in those two years I now can make up for in less than one. It was a VERY tough two years trying to make it but a lot of cheap hot dogs, Ramen Noodles, and odd jobs got me through. It's amazing how lean you can live when you have to.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:17 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

But that is also why I smile when I see someone who has worked their *** off enjoy something like a new Corvette, Mustang, Challenger...etc

None of us will be on our death bed saying "I sure wish I hadn't driven my Corvette so many miles."
Old 05-17-2019, 08:32 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

But that is also why I smile when I see someone who has worked their *** off enjoy something like a new Corvette, Mustang, Challenger...etc

None of us will be on our death bed saying "I sure wish I hadn't driven my Corvette so many miles."
Selling the old then The hunt of finding the new negotiating and buying is more fun then owning.
The following users liked this post:
tzoid9 (05-21-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 08:34 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Selling the old then The hunt of finding the new negotiating and buying is more fun then owning.
You're just saying that cuz you want to get rid of your C7. You're crazy if you think selling a car (or buying a new one for that matter) is anything less than a giant pain in the dick.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:57 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

I think he means after selling your current car. So maybe the search, analysis, and narrowing down your new toy is the fun?
Old 05-17-2019, 10:02 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

I think he means after selling your current car. So maybe the search, analysis, and narrowing down your new toy is the fun?
He specifically said selling THEN buying new and included negotiation. To each his own, but dear god there's nothing more annoying than trying to sell a car. You get flakes that say they're coming by to look at it and never do. People calling to ask BS questions that have no intention of buying. People showing up late. People looking and then saying "ehhhh lemme think about it". People trying to low ball you. Not to mention creating the ad. You have to take a bagillion pics and when you think you've got every angle, you get people wanting more pics. You have to do a write up about everything you've done to it and people message you asking dumb **** like "does the ac run cold?". Don't even get me started on the "negotiation" process for buying, whether it's private party or a dealership.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:15 AM
01lowbird
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 7spd
Janitor.
I don't know if you're being facetious or not. But I'm going to cover it either way.
I appreciate you work you do and I'm sure the sunny drives in your vette make your hard work worth it.
or
Do you work for a college? And you sometimes solve math equations on chalkboards? Is your best Friend Ben Affleck?

Last edited by 01lowbird; 05-17-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:24 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm a retired Butterfly Whisperer ... I've been contacted to come out of retirement and return to work as an Africanized Bee Colonizer. We're currently negotiating compensation and benefits package options, looks promising!
Old 05-17-2019, 12:34 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Get a nice c6z and upgrade the seats to Caravaggio and get the heads addressed. It’s a better car, lighter, the ls7 motor is more fun to drive with the high rpm rush. C7z has too much worthless tech. C6z is a sports car / c7z is a 2 door Cadillac.
So you're THAT "Guy" ... Unless others see thing in agreement with your omnipotent wisdom - they're doing all wrong ... Understood

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
I did accounting and am now retired. Accounting is a broad field with lot of demand and pays well.

Accounting been good to me!
Being an Engineer ... I sometimes hate you guys, LOL!. Y'all can make our endeavors far more difficult than what's called for and never get any of the blame for the final design being cheaply built or difficult to service. Though at times, you all have saved my bacon on a project or 3 ... I guess it's a Love/Hate I have with you guys

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Wow, you need to get in contact with one of the above accountants and have them set you up a financial plan before you truly run into financial ruin.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:45 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by M M Alexander
I'm a retired Butterfly Whisperer ... I've been contacted to come out of retirement and return to work as an Africanized Bee Colonizer. We're currently negotiating compensation and benefits package options, looks promising.

So you're THAT "Guy"... Unless others see thing in agreement with your omnipotent wisdom - they're doing all wrong ... Understood
as your retired from the butterfly engineering and whispering business— the c7z is a better car as it’s more Smooth like a Cadillac, you can drive in more comfort in the c7z with a8 to your urologist appointments for your 3 fingered prostate exams.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 05-17-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:26 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

[QUOTE=Mr. Gizmo;1599419251] the c7z is a better car [\quote]

Well you do have a modicum of discernment.

you can drive in more comfort in the c7z with a8 to your urologist appointments for your 3 fingered prostate exams.
I have you know - my Doc says that since I live such a healthy life style and no records of prostate cancer in my family - he only advises I do the PSA (let them examine my feces).
Im not currrntly on the radar for the 3 finger party for at least 6 more years
I hear it’s a fun time ...
Old 05-17-2019, 06:07 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

So you're THAT "Guy" ... Unless others see thing in agreement with your omnipotent wisdom - they're doing all wrong ... Understood

Being an Engineer ... I sometimes hate you guys, LOL!. Y'all can make our endeavors far more difficult than what's called for and never get any of the blame for the final design being cheaply built or difficult to service. Though at times, you all have saved my bacon on a project or 3 ... I guess it's a Love/Hate I have with you guys

Wow, you need to get in contact with one of the above accountants and have them set you up a financial plan before you truly run into financial ruin.
Carlton, is that you????? No C6 auto GS with a blower to get your rocks off??
Old 05-17-2019, 06:15 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Carlton, is that you????? No C6 auto GS with a blower to get your rocks off??
What up Muscle Head!
Man that car was 2 Vettes ago, LOL! I’m now waiting patiently for the C8 Z06 to be announced and sold - so I’ll hold on to the current Z until then.
I thought you’d have that Viper by now?

Get notified of new replies

To These cars aren't cheap...

Old 05-17-2019, 07:14 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Viper is on hold. Moved 1,200 miles, bought a 2nd house, had a kid, and life just gets in the way. Still looking at them but they are stupid priced for what I want! With having a daughter a ZL1 is looking tasty.

Muscle head? Ha! Rocking a dad bod now lol try to work out but with a 4 year old and work that ship is not easy to sail!

If the C8 looks as good as I hope.it does and it's offered with a manual it will get precedence over a Viper.

How the hell are you??
Old 05-17-2019, 07:15 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Nah, I just have a really low mortgage. Bought this house in my mid 20s when i made entry level engineer pay and was single and just haven't moved even though I make about 3x as much now and have a 2nd income. It's just fun (and also sad) to say my car payment is more than my mortgage
Old 05-17-2019, 07:18 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Then why not pay it off? lol

Save yourself that interest.

Quick Reply: These cars aren't cheap...