C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Anyone familiar with this car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 06:01 PM
lt1z350
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Anyone familiar with this car?

I have come across one of these sheet metal direct port lids like on this snow stickered up z06. I got the whole blower actually but had the sheet metal lid and why I bought it as for it really cheap. Just trying to find out some info on the lid and if it was possibly the prototype to the nx lid as nx now owns snow. Honestly wondering if it will perform better then the stock lid. I would think it will shed heat faster being sheet metal and not cast aluminum. There is no air divider like in the nx lid it’s just a plain smooth inside but I got it as it’s got all the direct port hardware on it for less then what I cost to buy just the hardware new. Any help would be great if anyone knows something.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:18 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

When disipating heat flat sheet metal is far inferior to a cast unit with much more area. More weight absorbs more heat and fins give more area to transfer that heat to the air.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:41 PM
lt1z350
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

SO far the testing on the stock one vrs the billet nx Lids they have now for sale the nx lid is shedding heat quite a bit faster. A buddy just swapped his recently and said it’s noticeable how much cooler the nx is vrs stock after a drive. Has to get his heat gun on it still but so far to the touch it’s a significant difference. It’s the same thing on case steel and why pretty much everyone went away from it on manifolds the cast iron retains heat a lot longer then a tube header that cools off quickly. Thicker material more mass more to have to cool.
I know this in the transmission business those big thick giant cast aluminum pans hold a lot more heat for a lot longer then the stock thin sheet metal pan. I did a lot of testing on that with dodge diesel trucks when trying to decide if recommended them to people. And the verdict was no they are bad for the trans as even with the added fluid it made the over all temp hotter then a stock pan.

As for the car I have found out mike abery of nx was the owner of the car and it was built to design the current billet lid. Car made 648/650whp on a pulley and the methanol kit not too bad for when did the setup compared to what’s been learned now on afr with direct injection.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:07 PM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1z350
SO far the testing on the stock one vrs the billet nx Lids they have now for sale the nx lid is shedding heat quite a bit faster. A buddy just swapped his recently and said it’s noticeable how much cooler the nx is vrs stock after a drive. Has to get his heat gun on it still but so far to the touch it’s a significant difference. It’s the same thing on case steel and why pretty much everyone went away from it on manifolds the cast iron retains heat a lot longer then a tube header that cools off quickly. Thicker material more mass more to have to cool.
I know this in the transmission business those big thick giant cast aluminum pans hold a lot more heat for a lot longer then the stock thin sheet metal pan. I did a lot of testing on that with dodge diesel trucks when trying to decide if recommended them to people. And the verdict was no they are bad for the trans as even with the added fluid it made the over all temp hotter then a stock pan.

As for the car I have found out mike abery of nx was the owner of the car and it was built to design the current billet lid. Car made 648/650whp on a pulley and the methanol kit not too bad for when did the setup compared to what’s been learned now on afr with direct injection.
A big part of my business is making heat sinks for aerospace electronics. As I said originally a heavier part can absorb more heat. But then you need a lot of surface area to disipate that heat into ambient air, which is whey they put fins in. The up and down area of the fins can multiply the surface area many times over thus exposing more area to convect the heat to the air. The sheet metal lid, being very light, cannot absorb much heat and so has a lot less heat to give off but it is not doing much to cool the charge, which is what the lid is supposed to help do.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone familiar with this car?

Quick Reply: Anyone familiar with this car?