C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Hello! Options on rev limiter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 08:24 PM
RFR Z06
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hello! Options on rev limiter?

Hi all,

First post on this forum. As an introduction, my name's Dave and I have a 2015 C7 Z06 that I recently inherited from my father who recently passed away. This is my first Corvette and my first American car since the '80s! I live in LA near some really great driving roads that my friends and I hit every other weekend or so. In addition, I do some track days, although not as much as I used to. I plan to take the Z06 to the track once I am more familiar with it. My dad modified the car by adding the LG cooling system to address the overheating issue (it's an automatic) but, unfortunately, he did not have an opportunity to fully test it on track.

I have been figuring things out on the car and I'm still getting used to it. One thing that surprised me today was hitting the rev limiter on a canyon run. I went to pass a friend who waived me by and wasn't watching the revs. Right as I pulled even with him, I hit the limiter and was surprised how aggressively it kicked in. In other cars I've owned, hitting the rev limiter causes the throttle to repeatedly bounce off the redline with high frequency. While you can't accelerate any further in that situation, but it doesn't really slow your momentum that much. In the Z06, however, it felt like all fuel was cut to the engine and the car immediately slowed down until I grabbed a higher gear and could complete the pass.

My question is: Anyone know of a modification for this? It would be nice to have the type of limiter I described above, especially on track where fuel cut-off can ruin a lap and even be dangerous if someone is following you closely. I don't plan on hitting the rev limiter often, but it happens. I'm more accustomed to higher revving engines so it may keep happening until I get used to the car. I'm thinking there may be a software "fix" for this, but I didn't see anything online and I'd like to hear from experienced Corvette guys like you before I'd install anything anyway.

Thanks for your help! Looking forward to participating on the forum.

Dave
Old 05-20-2019, 12:55 AM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

You can have it changed in the tune.
A reputable tuner can adjust the parameters to act as you described.

EFI Live and HP tuners software allows you or anyone to do this if they understand how to use the software.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:40 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by RFR Z06
Hi all,

First post on this forum. As an introduction, my name's Dave and I have a 2015 C7 Z06 that I recently inherited from my father who recently passed away. This is my first Corvette and my first American car since the '80s! I live in LA near some really great driving roads that my friends and I hit every other weekend or so. In addition, I do some track days, although not as much as I used to. I plan to take the Z06 to the track once I am more familiar with it. My dad modified the car by adding the LG cooling system to address the overheating issue (it's an automatic) but, unfortunately, he did not have an opportunity to fully test it on track.

I have been figuring things out on the car and I'm still getting used to it. One thing that surprised me today was hitting the rev limiter on a canyon run. I went to pass a friend who waived me by and wasn't watching the revs. Right as I pulled even with him, I hit the limiter and was surprised how aggressively it kicked in. In other cars I've owned, hitting the rev limiter causes the throttle to repeatedly bounce off the redline with high frequency. While you can't accelerate any further in that situation, but it doesn't really slow your momentum that much. In the Z06, however, it felt like all fuel was cut to the engine and the car immediately slowed down until I grabbed a higher gear and could complete the pass.

My question is: Anyone know of a modification for this? It would be nice to have the type of limiter I described above, especially on track where fuel cut-off can ruin a lap and even be dangerous if someone is following you closely. I don't plan on hitting the rev limiter often, but it happens. I'm more accustomed to higher revving engines so it may keep happening until I get used to the car. I'm thinking there may be a software "fix" for this, but I didn't see anything online and I'd like to hear from experienced Corvette guys like you before I'd install anything anyway.

Thanks for your help! Looking forward to participating on the forum.

Dave

i have an m7 and know exactly what you mean. Short of a tune the best way around this is to shift in the 5500 to 6000 rpm range. These cars don’t do well revving much higher.

The a8 compounds the problem if you are paddle shifting manually as the transmission is not instantaneously responsive when you shift—as I could tell when test driving the automatics before I got the m7. Your probably better off leaving in drive or shifting manually at lower rpm and by the time the car responds to the shift it’ll be a couple hundred rpm higher.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 05-20-2019 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:57 AM
K2XSNOW
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

You don't need a tune, just practice shifting sooner,.I used the lights on the HUD to help me with timing it right.

The closer to get to red-line, the faster the car will run. I disagree with Gizmo when he says these cars don't do well revving higher.
The following users liked this post:
badhabit_wb (05-21-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 12:23 PM
RFR Z06
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. If anyone out there has installed a tune that has worked out well, I'd love to hear about it. Hesitant to install something, especially software, that hasn't been thoroughly tested.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by K2XSNOW
You don't need a tune, just practice shifting sooner,.I used the lights on the HUD to help me with timing it right.

The closer to get to red-line, the faster the car will run. I disagree with Gizmo when he says these cars don't do well revving higher.
I agree with this statement. I have a 2015 M7 that I shift at 6400 rpm all the time. Watch the shift lights in the HUD to determine when to shift. They start to come together in a line across the top of the HUD and after some practice you can use them to time your shift. With the throttle wide open as long as the A8 has a predictable amount of time from the time you pull on the paddle until the transmission shifts you should be able to figure out when to pull the paddle so the shift occurs just before the Rev Limiter.

The shift lights in the HUD work great for knowing when to shift. They also let you keep your eye on the world outside of the car while watching the revs.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
badhabit_wb (05-21-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Hello! Options on rev limiter?

Quick Reply: Hello! Options on rev limiter?