C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 suspension tuned like a ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 07:57 PM
FitFam
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Z06 suspension tuned like a ZR1

Hello...can the suspension in the Z06 be tuned so that it drives like the ZR1 on the track?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2019, 09:20 PM
Detroit_Bill
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Does your car have a Z07 package?

The biggest difference is the Aero package.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-20-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:07 PM
FitFam
Instructor

Why then do all the testers say the ZR1 doesn’t scare you like the z06? From what I have read GM made some tweaks to the software

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-20-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:43 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

GM has never released a Z06 test car after '16 MY. As such, all those reviews you read are based on pre-2017 track tune. Starting 2017, all MRC tunes of Z06 and obviously GS (its debut year) came with the next generation tuning, which is now available as an upgrade for $350 at your dealer for older cars. All 2017+ wide body cars came with the main track map, but none came complete before 2019MY, which also comes with Sport and Touring maps also updated, as well as a shock temp compensation table for track use. The new tune significantly improves the rear traction, when combined with good alignment, which infamously some of the GM test fleet cars also lacked.

I do own a '19 Z06/Z07, and my rear end is not twitchy at all. With the right tires (R888R, Hoosiers, NT01, etc.), I can easily go full throttle at second gear just like I used to do with my Z51; zero issues.

Last edited by X25; 05-21-2019 at 12:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
FitFam (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 07:32 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

I had a 16' Z06/Z07 and a 17' Z06/Z07, had the suspension update done on my 17', made it a million times better driver on the street, way more under control, then my ZR1 arrived, there was so much difference from the Z06 to the ZR1 on every road I would drive on, for days drove the same roads switching cars, even letting friends drive both on the same roads, on the same days, after a few weeks there was one car I looked forward to driving and the other not as much anymore, so it was sold. Can you make it handle the same, maybe, springs, shocks and a DSC controller. I just never thought there would be as much difference in the two cars, but having them both in my garage and driving them there is.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:01 AM
Detroit_Bill
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Alignment

^^^ Did you have the alignment checked in both?

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-21-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:48 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by FitFam
Why then do all the testers say the ZR1 doesn’t scare you like the z06? From what I have read GM made some tweaks to the software
If you are referring to Randy Pobst's comments about his Laguna Seca test a number of years ago he mentioned the car he was testing had some issues with snap over steer that he hadn't experienced with other C7Zs at other tracks. That test was a comparison against a Viper and he said the Viper was better behaved.

GM took that test car, checked the alignment and found the REAR CASTER (not front caster) was out of spec, realigned the car and asked him to retest the car at Laguna Seca. He said it was much improved and the snap over steer issue was gone. A lot has to do with the rear alignment when the car is pushed to the limit as Randy can do.

I don't know all of the other people who may have tested the C7Z but if you are seeing them in You Tube videos there is a great chance they really don't know what they are talking about. There are a lot of so called car reviewers making You Tube videos that are just plain BS, a lot of yacking and music with little valuable info.

Also look up the results of C&Ds Lightning Lap results from the last few years. You will see the 2015 C7 Z06 was right up there with the best cars and not that much off the ZR1 pace. There is also a video that GM produced that has Jeff Gordon in it where they talk about the upgraded MRC calibration package and how it changed the lap time of a 2016 C7 Z06 at VIR.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 05-21-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Monkey D. Luffy (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 11:04 AM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you are referring to Randy Pobst's comments about his Laguna Seca test a number of years ago he mentioned the car he was testing had some issues with snap over steer that he hadn't experienced with other C7Zs at other tracks. That test was a comparison against a Viper and he said the Viper was better behaved.

GM took that test car, checked the alignment and found the REAR CASTER (not front caster) was out of spec, realigned the car and asked him to retest the car at Laguna Seca. He said it was much improved and the snap over steer issue was gone. A lot has to do with the rear alignment when the car is pushed to the limit as Randy can do.

I don't know all of the other people who may have tested the C7Z but if you are seeing them in You Tube videos there is a great chance they really don't know what they are talking about. There are a lot of so called car reviewers making You Tube videos that are just plain BS, a lot of yacking and music with little valuable info.

Also look up the results of C&Ds Lightning Lap results from the last few years. You will see the 2015 C7 Z06 was right up there with the best cars and not that much off the ZR1 pace. There is also a video that GM produced that has Jeff Gordon in it where they talk about the upgraded MRC calibration package and how it changed the lap time of a 2016 C7 Z06 at VIR.

Bill

whole lot of BS on YouTube
Detroit_Bill (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 01:14 PM
CaddyRacer
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

2015 Z06 VIR lap time WAS 2:41.32 (pre MRC)
then MRC came out
https://www.turnology.com/tech-stori...-ride-upgrade/
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ibrations.html

Track Mode
Model(s)
  • Grand Sport (FE6) and Z06 (FE6)
Changes
  • The new track mode is better balanced and response to driver inputs are much more linear near and at the limit of adhesion. With the new Track calibration, the redistribution of the damping in the body, wheel, and handling algorithms makes the car more fluid as it is cornered. The rotation of the car is more precise at initial turn in, and maintains its path through the turn. As the driver rolls into the throttle, vehicle heading is better sustained.
  • The new Track calibrations increases driver confidence. This, coupled with the vehicle being better balanced during the cornering maneuvers resulted in an average of a 1 second lap time improvement over the original calibration.
  • Revised temperature compensation tables. As the fluid heated up, during long continuous and repeated runs, sometimes over 100 degrees Celsius (212 degrees Fahrenheit), the damping is effected, not only on an absolute basis, but also the front to rear effecting the balance of the car. New temperature compensation tables were developed to make the balance of the car much more consistent regardless of the damper fluid temperature.
Model(s)
  • Grand Sport w/Z07 and Z06 w/Z07
Changes
  • Both of these foundation Track calibrations are included in 2017 production.
  • The foundation calibrations are solid performers as indicated in the Z06 w/Z07 VIR lap times of 1:55.95 on the full course and 2:39.77 on the Grand Course. The lap times for Grand Sport are 1:59 on the Full Course and 2:45 on the Grand Course.
  • As explained in the Grand Sport FE6 and Z06 FE6 Track mode paragraph, the new temperature compensation tables are now included in these Track calibrations as part of the Chevrolet Performance offerings and 2019 production.

GM went back to VIR with Z06 MRC update: 2:39.77

Fasttimes needs to update the list
https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/virgi...e-post-01-2014
FitFam (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 01:30 PM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by CaddyRacer
2015 Z06 VIR lap time WAS 2:41.32 (pre MRC)
then MRC came out
https://www.turnology.com/tech-stori...-ride-upgrade/
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ibrations.html

Track Mode
Model(s)
  • Grand Sport (FE6) and Z06 (FE6)
Changes
  • The new track mode is better balanced and response to driver inputs are much more linear near and at the limit of adhesion. With the new Track calibration, the redistribution of the damping in the body, wheel, and handling algorithms makes the car more fluid as it is cornered. The rotation of the car is more precise at initial turn in, and maintains its path through the turn. As the driver rolls into the throttle, vehicle heading is better sustained.
  • The new Track calibrations increases driver confidence. This, coupled with the vehicle being better balanced during the cornering maneuvers resulted in an average of a 1 second lap time improvement over the original calibration.
  • Revised temperature compensation tables. As the fluid heated up, during long continuous and repeated runs, sometimes over 100 degrees Celsius (212 degrees Fahrenheit), the damping is effected, not only on an absolute basis, but also the front to rear effecting the balance of the car. New temperature compensation tables were developed to make the balance of the car much more consistent regardless of the damper fluid temperature.
Model(s)
  • Grand Sport w/Z07 and Z06 w/Z07
Changes
  • Both of these foundation Track calibrations are included in 2017 production.
  • The foundation calibrations are solid performers as indicated in the Z06 w/Z07 VIR lap times of 1:55.95 on the full course and 2:39.77 on the Grand Course. The lap times for Grand Sport are 1:59 on the Full Course and 2:45 on the Grand Course.
  • As explained in the Grand Sport FE6 and Z06 FE6 Track mode paragraph, the new temperature compensation tables are now included in these Track calibrations as part of the Chevrolet Performance offerings and 2019 production.

GM went back to VIR with Z06 MRC update: 2:39.77
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq0cvWZkv5I

Fasttimes needs to update the list
https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/virgi...e-post-01-2014
They certainly do need to update the list. Basically, the Z06 is tied with the 720s, and right on the ZR1's azz. Gave my '19 M& Z06 an extra hug for that. I knew last August from a reliable source that the '19's had further noteworthy upgrades beside much better paint. Things that were evidently purposefully not mentioned in my '19 brochure materials. I would have loved to buy the ZR1, but at around $55k more than my heavily discounted M7 2LZ Z06, Mr. upper middle class here could not cross that bridge. The last FE Z06 continues to impress!
Old 05-21-2019, 02:18 PM
FitFam
Instructor

thanks for the information...so looks like mine does not have the update
Old 05-21-2019, 03:04 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Makes me wonder if DSC has temperature adjustments in their calibration @DSC Sport
Old 05-21-2019, 09:01 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
Makes me wonder if DSC has temperature adjustments in their calibration @DSC Sport
I don't think so. At least, I've never heard of it.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 suspension tuned like a ZR1

Quick Reply: Z06 suspension tuned like a ZR1