C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

"Rear Caster" adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 08:29 AM
The Yav
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Default "Rear Caster" adjustments

Gents,
II am due for new tires, I asked the corvette mechanic at the dealership about when doing a 4 wheel alignment can he adjust the rear caster. He said there was not adjustment on his alignment machine. What tool is needed to make rear caster adjustments? Is it a separate digital meter...is there a GM part number for the adjustment tool? How can I describe the process to Mr Goodwrench?
v/r
THEYAV
Old 06-07-2019, 09:10 AM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

The 2 tools needed are Digital Angle Gauge Adapter (CH-47960-10) & Digital Angle Gauge itself (CH-47960). These tools are not normally kept at dealers due to the very high cost & limited use/need. They are ordered by the dealer thru GM Special Tools website thru the Global Connect Link which has a LOAN TOOL button that is accessed once at the Global Connect Link site. The tools are shipped 2 day delivery to dealer & can be kept for I believe 48 hrs at no cost to YOU or dealer, then shipped back. So they should get tool ordered & your appointment co-ordinated to meet these requirements. Just double checked my info on Google. The dealer has to be in the tool loan subscription program (annual fee) & the tool can be kept 5 days.

Last edited by madrob2020; 06-07-2019 at 09:19 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by madrob2020:
bbbvettes.com (06-10-2019), The Yav (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 09:32 AM
ZO6 Guy
Navigator

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

If the "corvette mechanic" did not know of the special tools needed for setting rear caster I would think twice about having him do the rear alignment. Rear caster is important handling performance and often found to be out of spec from the factory. I would find someone who has done it before and appreciates how important it is to set it correctly.
The following 5 users liked this post by ZO6 Guy:
badhabit_wb (06-09-2019), bbbvettes.com (06-10-2019), Big Hud (01-11-2020), HorsePowerObsessed (06-07-2019), The Yav (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 10:55 AM
wagoetzmann
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

GM manual ……
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
C7 4 Wheel Alignment.pdf (1.36 MB, 243 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by wagoetzmann:
madrob2020 (06-07-2019), RocksZC7 (06-10-2019), The Yav (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 12:45 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

Received 624 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6 Guy
If the "corvette mechanic" did not know of the special tools needed for setting rear caster I would think twice about having him do the rear alignment. Rear caster is important handling performance and often found to be out of spec from the factory. I would find someone who has done it before and appreciates how important it is to set it correctly.

THIS!!! I was told the same thing AFTER they did my alignment and it was so out of whack afterwards that the car felt EXTREMELY unstable over bumps. I ended up taking it to TPC in Maryland to get the alignment done correctly and they said my rear drivers side caster was +1.7 degrees and the passenger side rear caster was -1 degree. Basically, it was WAYY out. If you have the same luck I did, you won't find a dealership that can do the alignment properly. I called 10 dealerships and NONE of them had the tool or even knew what I was talking about (2 of the dealerships were SPECIFICALLY Corvette dealerships). Check out the video here if you want to hear/see more:

The following users liked this post:
The Yav (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 01:34 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

The cars are delivered from the factory with the alignments way out of wack and not symmetrical. MANY owners have confirmed they do a **** job on aligning before shipping. For instance, the car/factory "acceptable" specs for discussion purposes for rear caster might be -1.0 degrees to +1.0 degrees. It's not unusual for cars to come with one side positive and one side negative. They get "green" lights as they are within range even though they're cattywhompous left to right. Here's an example of the VERY dangerous snap oversteer you can experience when you have a factory alignment with one side positive and the other side negative. The bad event depicted below was NOT driver error. The snap oversteer occurred at about 64 mph on a road with a posted speed limit of 55 mph! After the incident and with the alignment corrected this same car navigated the same turn at 80+ mph without any issues or drama.

Last edited by rikhek; 06-07-2019 at 01:38 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by rikhek:
bbbvettes.com (06-10-2019), HorsePowerObsessed (06-07-2019), Krenath (06-08-2019), The Yav (06-07-2019), VNAMVET (01-10-2020)
Old 06-07-2019, 02:06 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

Originally Posted by rikhek
The cars are delivered from the factory with the alignments way out of wack and not symmetrical. MANY owners have confirmed they do a **** job on aligning before shipping. For instance, the car/factory "acceptable" specs for discussion purposes for rear caster might be -1.0 degrees to +1.0 degrees. It's not unusual for cars to come with one side positive and one side negative. They get "green" lights as they are within range even though they're cattywhompous left to right. Here's an example of the VERY dangerous snap oversteer you can experience when you have a factory alignment with one side positive and the other side negative. The bad event depicted below was NOT driver error. The snap oversteer occurred at about 64 mph on a road with a posted speed limit of 55 mph! After the incident and with the alignment corrected this same car navigated the same turn at 80+ mph without any issues or drama.

http://youtu.be/1nUzvzH5AjU

That's crazy! I know with how my car felt, over bumps especially, it was definitely unsafe. With a proper alignment it feels completely different. More planted and zero loose rear end feeling.
The Yav (06-07-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 07:42 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

damn! I would have definitely been cursing and would have gotten out of the car and looked around before I drove off.
bbbvettes.com (06-10-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 10:47 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

Originally Posted by RegnaR
damn! I would have definitely been cursing and would have gotten out of the car and looked around before I drove off.

lol I thought the same thing. He is oddly silent in the video, there would have had some more colorful language if it had happened to me..
Old 06-09-2019, 04:43 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Rick I had a similar incident with my car before I got the rear caster set correctly. I made a left 120 degree turn to the left going about 20 and the rear end came all the way around. Weather was also a factor because it was around 35 degrees outside. I was going slow enough that I stayed in the road and in my lane. These cars are totally different animals if the alignment is out.
HorsePowerObsessed (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 10:13 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
Rick I had a similar incident with my car before I got the rear caster set correctly. I made a left 120 degree turn to the left going about 20 and the rear end came all the way around. Weather was also a factor because it was around 35 degrees outside. I was going slow enough that I stayed in the road and in my lane. These cars are totally different animals if the alignment is out.
Very true. It's unreal how much more planted the car feels with the alignment set correctly.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:23 AM
0bbbvettes.com
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts

I was cringing on the yellow car video in the first 2 curves he went around...

I feel like he had the nannies off. He was going faster in the curves than he was the straights.

His lines were strange, it's like he was trying to get it to spin the way he would steer and accelerate.

It's scary that people who don't know how to drive go out and buy these cars.

There needs to be a different class license required to own a car over 500hp, and then another for 700hp and so on...

otherwise, all fast cars will be made illegal once enough of these people who can't drive kill enough people... the fast car will be labeled as the problem

Last edited by bbbvettes.com; 06-10-2019 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:17 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bbbvettes.com
I was cringing on the yellow car video in the first 2 curves he went around...

I feel like he had the nannies off. He was going faster in the curves than he was the straights.

His lines were strange, it's like he was trying to get it to spin the way he would steer and accelerate.

It's scary that people who don't know how to drive go out and buy these cars.

There needs to be a different class license required to own a car over 500hp, and then another for 700hp and so on...

otherwise, all fast cars will be made illegal once enough of these people who can't drive kill enough people... the fast car will be labeled as the problem
Rick is a lot better driver than most on the forums. His car just broke because of the alignment. On a dry road at that speed it should have never been a problem. You should check out some of his track times. No way is he a bad driver!
The following 2 users liked this post by badhabit_wb:
bbbvettes.com (06-10-2019), HorsePowerObsessed (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 01:38 PM
0bbbvettes.com
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts

I did not realize we knew the guy, I thought it was a video off the net someone found.

I would say he is used to having warmer stickier tires then, to contend with such driving, and also, the rear caster was off... which was the original point, I get it.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:08 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

When mine did it I was taking my son to school. If someone had told me the rear end would come around like that, without acceleration, at 20mph or so I would have called them a liar. I caught it but it's because I was going so slow. That's when I decided to learn to do my own alignments.
bbbvettes.com (06-10-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 04:06 PM
2ZORNOT2Z
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 259 Posts

That video and badhabit's story make me extremely nervous with my new Z! I've not noticed any instability around corners but also am not pressing it with a new car either. Do most Chevy dealers have issues checking the alignment to see if it's out of whack and just can't adjust it or can they neither check the rear caster nor adjust it? I'll ask about having my alignment checked at least when I go for the 500 mile oil change. This is great information!
HorsePowerObsessed (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 04:16 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2ZORNOT2Z
That video and badhabit's story make me extremely nervous with my new Z! I've not noticed any instability around corners but also am not pressing it with a new car either. Do most Chevy dealers have issues checking the alignment to see if it's out of whack and just can't adjust it or can they neither check the rear caster nor adjust it? I'll ask about having my alignment checked at least when I go for the 500 mile oil change. This is great information!
I actually made a video of my trip to DSC in Maryland and the biggest reason I made the trip? To get an alignment done CORRECTLY. The previous place to do the alignment on my car was a GM dealership and they really messed it up. A good quality alignment shop that can adjust the rear caster is definitely important...

Get notified of new replies

To "Rear Caster" adjustments

Old 06-11-2019, 04:38 PM
2ZORNOT2Z
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by JAYNO20
I actually made a video of my trip to DSC in Maryland and the biggest reason I made the trip? To get an alignment done CORRECTLY. The previous place to do the alignment on my car was a GM dealership and they really messed it up. A good quality alignment shop that can adjust the rear caster is definitely important...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjdt4O4JCiE&t=120s
Thanks for the info, wish I was in Maryland, those guys sound excellent! Any KC area people have a good alignment shop recommendation?
HorsePowerObsessed (06-11-2019)
Old 01-10-2020, 02:35 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

What are the acceptable min to max degree for rear caster for Z06?

Shop adjusted it before but this time I think they didn't touch it and left it at 0.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:54 PM
FiftyFiv3
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Take it to someone that knows their stuff. I just had mine done at Key Mitsubishi here in CT. The caster configuration is not shown on the general alignment sheet, it is an additional step that must be done by a knowledgeable mechanic. Don't use a mechanic that you need to educate to do the job..
The following 2 users liked this post by FiftyFiv3:
HorsePowerObsessed (01-10-2020), okaythen (01-10-2020)

Quick Reply: "Rear Caster" adjustments