C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Noisy lifters / valvetrain sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 12:16 AM
hubris140
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Noisy lifters / valvetrain sound

Hi folks

Im not sure if this was always the case but today I opened up the hood after a long time and I could’ve sworn the clacking noise from the lifters is louder than usual. Car isn’t running too hot, engine is warmed up and idling, oil temp around 180F.

It almost sounds like the sewing machine sound that the C6 Z06 LS7 was famous for. My understanding is that the LT4 doesn’t exhibit this sewing machine sound normally.

Heres the video: link

Is this normal?

Last edited by hubris140; 06-09-2019 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:34 AM
Detroit_Bill
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
Default It’s probably the injectors.

I did not listen to the video but it’s probably the injectors.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:42 AM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by hubris140
Hi folks

Im not sure if this was always the case but today I opened up the hood after a long time and I could’ve sworn the clacking noise from the lifters is louder than usual. Car isn’t running too hot, engine is warmed up and idling, oil temp around 180F.

It almost sounds like the sewing machine sound that the C6 Z06 LS7 was famous for. My understanding is that the LT4 doesn’t exhibit this sewing machine sound normally.

Is this normal?
The injectors can make some noise and that video is hard to tell. It does have a bit of the sound of both lifters, injectors as well as the blower can make some noise....we the car in the garage? That can amplify the noise as well and drive you nuts. Whats important is it isn't a isolated tick as if "one" was bad.....
Old 06-09-2019, 08:59 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,149 Posts

DI engines are noisy. But it's hard to tell from the video. To me it sounds normal.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:34 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Hi folks

Is this normal?
Normal. Blowers sounds like marbles in a tin can.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:12 AM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

Agreed with above - valvetrain noise normal. Blower sounds quiet which is good.
My Magnuson 2300 had the marble sound and is being replaced.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:35 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by TSLAVette
Sorry to go off topic.

Tslavette—- sorry to hear about the magnuson issues on your grandsport.

Hopefully they were a stand up vendor on helping you with paying twice for labor.
The following users liked this post:
TSLAVette (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 03:33 PM
hubris140
Pro

Thanks for the responses. In the video, the car is outside my home and not indoors. No echoes of any kind.

Also, I don’t hear any blower noise until I tap the throttle and I can hear the usual wheezing/whine of the blower. Does not sound like marbles in a can.

The clacking sound in question seems to be coming from both sides of the engine (and not from the top). I agree, it’s not too loud so I can see how it may sound like there’s nothing wrong. This is why it’s so annoying. It just sound slightly worse than normal (normal being when I first got the car), so it’s really hard to tell if this is just business as usual or if there’s a problem.

I’ll take it to my nearby dealer and have their vette tech check it out just to be safe.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:34 PM
hubris140
Pro

Originally Posted by TSLAVette
I remember us talking from another thread last week. Is magnussson or the shop footing the bill? Is it covered under magnusson’s warranty?
TSLAVette (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 06:28 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

I remember us talking from another thread last week. Is magnussson or the shop footing the bill? Is it covered under magnusson’s warranty?
Hi Gizmo and Hubris - thanks for asking; yes, they are taking care of me! It wasn’t easy but they are a stand-up outfit as is superchargersonline (Brian). Great people! I’ll keep you posted as swap is slated for wk of 6/17. Should be good to go! Also adding one of Mike’s TBs - Soler Engineering to assess better flow claims. We shall see!
Old 06-10-2019, 10:08 AM
Svtracer14
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for the responses. In the video, the car is outside my home and not indoors. No echoes of any kind.

Also, I don’t hear any blower noise until I tap the throttle and I can hear the usual wheezing/whine of the blower. Does not sound like marbles in a can.

The clacking sound in question seems to be coming from both sides of the engine (and not from the top). I agree, it’s not too loud so I can see how it may sound like there’s nothing wrong. This is why it’s so annoying. It just sound slightly worse than normal (normal being when I first got the car), so it’s really hard to tell if this is just business as usual or if there’s a problem.

I’ll take it to my nearby dealer and have their vette tech check it out just to be safe.

Thanks guys.
I have a new 2019 with <400 miles and have the same noise/sounds. I took my car to a local dealer for a chirping sound that they believed requires a new belt (there is a TSB for 15-17 MY's for this http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...-afm-1357.html ). However, I also hear the "lifter" or valve train sound in the car at idle, but I believe this to be fully normal for a pushrod car and am not too concerned about it at all.

My plan is to drive it and if something breaks, it will be covered under warranty.
Z0HS1CK (06-11-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 11:54 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

What you are hearing is injectors....they are quite loud. Hydraulic lifters only get loud if they collapse and then the car runs very badly as those valves are barely opening. There are lots of things that can change the sound of your car due to the sound being transmitted better or worse. On hot humid days sound will not travel as well due to the more spread out air molecules. If the air is cool and dry you may hear things better. There can also be echoes caused by the pavement below or a wall nearby or any number of things. I think that if you are not getting a check engine light or running poorly, what you are hearing is the normal sound of the injectors, and the only reason it sounds louder is where the car was sitting when you listened to it.

Get notified of new replies

To Noisy lifters / valvetrain sound

Quick Reply: Noisy lifters / valvetrain sound