C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2017 Z07 brakes - premature pad wear

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 03:56 PM
hubris140
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Default 2017 Z07 brakes - premature pad wear

Hi folks

Seeing a weird issue with my car (currently have ~15k miles) and wanted to reach out to see if anyone else has some experience. I've been hearing a faint grinding noise on top of the usual squeaky noise from my carbon ceramic brakes (the noise can be best described as a sandpaper rubbing sound and feel on moderate pressure stops).

I took it into the dealer and they came back with 'brake pads prematurely wearing'. They are doing a one time courtesy replacement of the pads and are not giving me any more details other than that the new pads have a 'different design' and that the CC rotors are fine. They are not even returning the old pads so I can assess the damage or wear.

My concern is that by not learning anything about what caused this issue in the first place, what would happen if the new pads would also display a similar issue after some miles and the shop refuses a replacement? Has someone else gone thru this process?

Background on my car - 90% of the miles are freeway miles. One autox session and a few canyon carving sessions in the past yr. No HDPE/ track miles and maybe about 4-5 hard stops (100 to 50 mph) on the freeway. I burnished the brakes around the 2k mile mark and the brakes have been squeaky ever since. No observable degradation in stopping performance.

Any advice would be appreciated.
The following 2 users liked this post by hubris140:
Renaldo Dorsey (06-20-2019), SilverGhost (06-19-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 04:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

For what its worth you could ask to see the old pads after they take them off the car. The Corvette mechanic at the dealership I go to always has the small parts laying around at the end of the day if I want to look at them. I doubt you would learn much about them and I doubt there is much the mechanic could tell you about why they wore and why the new part number might not wear as much other than maybe GM might have consolidated spare parts supplies on the ZR1 versions of the pads and rotors. No reason to stock two versions of the same thing if you can get the latest one at the same price.

Bill
Old 06-19-2019, 12:34 AM
hubris140
Pro

Thanks for the insight, Bill. I didn’t realize they may have switched over to the ZR1 pads. I will check with the mechanic.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:06 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

I burnished the brakes around the 2k mile mark and the brakes have been squeaky ever since.
Thank you for confirming my suspicions! I burnished z51 ceramic pads according to mfr instructions and after that they squealed like a stuck pig. I left my new Z07 brakes "green" will never be tracked (vert). They are as silent as a Cadillac's binders.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:24 AM
hubris140
Pro

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
Thank you for confirming my suspicions! I burnished z51 ceramic pads according to mfr instructions and after that they squealed like a stuck pig. I left my new Z07 brakes "green" will never be tracked (vert). They are as silent as a Cadillac's binders.
Yeah, my brakes were silent before burnishing. But folks on here say stomping on unburnished brakes at excess speeds >130mph might result in a dangerous “green fade” scenario where the bite disappears. Haven’t experienced this myself but makes you think.

Last edited by hubris140; 06-19-2019 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:34 PM
CaddyRacer
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

NB AC Delco/brembo brake pads come with a 24m warranty
Old 06-19-2019, 11:35 PM
hubris140
Pro

Originally Posted by CaddyRacer
NB AC Delco/brembo brake pads come with a 24m warranty
Does this apply to replacement pads or only pads that come factory installed on the car? I’m asking because I’m wondering if this issue repeats with the new pads can I have them be replaced by the dealer as well?

Last edited by hubris140; 06-19-2019 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:36 AM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

what year is the car?
Old 06-20-2019, 01:37 AM
hubris140
Pro

Originally Posted by RegnaR
what year is the car?
2017 MY. Late 2016 build date.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:29 PM
hubris140
Pro

Hi folks, an update here - I got my car back from the dealership yesterday. They replaced all brake pads at no cost. They declined to show me the old pads and I was more concerned with how the car drove with the new pads. Happy to report that the squeaking and grinding noises have been eliminated (for now at least). Looking at the writeup of the issue below, seemed like the pads had cracks in them and some had uneven wear. Any insights here? As I mentioned earlier, I burnished the brakes around 2k miles and have not tracked the car yet.

The service advisor asked me to hold off on burnishing the new brakes though, which seemed weird to me. The brakes bite okay for now. While I understand the squeaking may come back if I burnish, I also don't want to put myself at risk of not being covered for new pads in the future, if the burnishing leads to cracks developing in the new pads. Thoughts?

Last edited by hubris140; 06-21-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:39 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

7 mm to 10 mm is a huuuuuge uneven wear if true.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 06-21-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:45 PM
hubris140
Pro

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
7 mm to 10 mm is a huuuuuge uneven wear if true.
I'm finding it hard to understand what may have caused this. Outside of one autox session and a few canyon carving weekends, I haven't put much stress on the brakes in the year I've had it.

Last edited by hubris140; 06-21-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:00 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by hubris140
I'm finding it hard to understand what may have caused this. Outside of one autox session and a few canyon carving weekends, I dont put much stress on the brakes in the year I've had it.
I think they have no idea what they are talking about and didn't realize these pads come from factory with a beveled edge.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:13 PM
hubris140
Pro

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
I think they have no idea what they are talking about and didn't realize these pads come from factory with a beveled edge.
I've never heard this before. Can you expand on this? Does this mean that all cars come with uneven pad thicknesses? If so, wouldn't they have seen the same when they unpacked the new pads for installation on my car?

(Not questioning your logic, I'm just trying to understand better)
Old 06-22-2019, 01:00 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Hi folks, an update here - I got my car back from the dealership yesterday. They replaced all brake pads at no cost. They declined to show me the old pads and I was more concerned with how the car drove with the new pads. Happy to report that the squeaking and grinding noises have been eliminated (for now at least). Looking at the writeup of the issue below, seemed like the pads had cracks in them and some had uneven wear. Any insights here? As I mentioned earlier, I burnished the brakes around 2k miles and have not tracked the car yet.

The service advisor asked me to hold off on burnishing the new brakes though, which seemed weird to me. The brakes bite okay for now. While I understand the squeaking may come back if I burnish, I also don't want to put myself at risk of not being covered for new pads in the future, if the burnishing leads to cracks developing in the new pads. Thoughts?
Interesting they only measured the rotor thickness Vs weighing them as they are supposed to do. I know the rotors have both a minimum thickness and minimum weight but the weight is the more important measurement. Might be interesting to ask the service writer why they didn't weigh the rotors if they were worried about them.

Bill
Old 06-23-2019, 09:55 PM
CaddyRacer
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

Does this apply to replacement pads or only pads that come factory installed on the car? I’m asking because I’m wondering if this issue repeats with the new pads can I have them be replaced by the dealer as well?
I would contact AC delco, I'd YES....I already wore out a set of AC delco Z06 CCB pads...I not bought ZR1 CCB pads
from Amazon site:
"Warranty & Support
Warranty, Parts:24 Month / Unlimited Mile Limited Warranty on parts sold on or after 04/01/18. (Parts Only) Please see ACDelco.com for more details"

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 Z07 brakes - premature pad wear

Quick Reply: 2017 Z07 brakes - premature pad wear