C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tackling Watkins Glen HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 03:46 PM
shizon'00
Melting Slicks

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Tackling Watkins Glen HPDE

The first time I went to Watkins Glen was two years ago. At that time, I got 3 sessions and then had to replace rear brakes when I found out the brake pads I had ordered were not the ones I had ordered. That ended my weekend.

This weekend was my first full even at WGI. What a beautiful area and gorgeous track. I can't say I'd take it over VIR, but man is it right up there. It's fast for sure. This trip, I was instructing with PCA and had a great student. I rode with a couple others too and was super busy so only had 1 good session in the C7Z unfortunately. Luckily a friend of mine and I got hooked up on track and so I got an express lesson from him in his cup car.

2:02 in traffic and I had a bunch more to go. I wish I could have had some more laps in the car. After looking at the data I really think I could have broken 2min if I had a clean lap and could put it together. This is my '19Z with AP brakes and Pirellis on Forgelines.

The following 4 users liked this post by shizon'00:
Basil2000 (06-23-2019), glava2876 (06-24-2019), Road machine (06-24-2019), vettejeff (06-23-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 05:05 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by shizon'00
The first time I went to Watkins Glen was two years ago. At that time, I got 3 sessions and then had to replace rear brakes when I found out the brake pads I had ordered were not the ones I had ordered. That ended my weekend.

This weekend was my first full even at WGI. What a beautiful area and gorgeous track. I can't say I'd take it over VIR, but man is it right up there. It's fast for sure. This trip, I was instructing with PCA and had a great student. I rode with a couple others too and was super busy so only had 1 good session in the C7Z unfortunately. Luckily a friend of mine and I got hooked up on track and so I got an express lesson from him in his cup car.

2:02 in traffic and I had a bunch more to go. I wish I could have had some more laps in the car. After looking at the data I really think I could have broken 2min if I had a clean lap and could put it together. This is my '19Z with AP brakes and Pirellis on Forgelines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V-zN8Kp9yM
Nice work . You made handy work of all the Porsche’s except the white one that snuck by you in the inside. What was going on with that Porsche?

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 06-22-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:51 PM
shizon'00
Melting Slicks

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

That's a 997.2 cup car with a multi national champion behind the wheel. Lethal combo and a great rabbit.
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Gizmo (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 10:59 AM
Basil2000
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 498 Posts

I’m heading to Watkins glen for the first time for two days in July. The 15th and 16th with SCDA. Thanks for posting this video. Those were some awesome laps. I have been watching a ton of video so hopefully i will have a little idea of how to drive this track. I’m sure I will be watching this one several times. Only thing that is tough to grasp by a video is the elevation changes and the camber. I have a fresh set of mpss and cup2 tires and brake pads ready to go. To say I’m absolutely fired up would be an understatement. VIR is also on my list of tracks. SCDA will be there 9/23 and 24. Thinking about that but may have to wait until next year.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:01 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

WGI is my home track. Though I live in NJ I have a place on Seneca lake as well. I love the track especially since they repaved it. Looking forward to the 6 hours of the Glen next weekend. Great drive by the way....amazing that you had so much cooperation from Porsche drivers....they usually don't give passes easily, especially to Corvettes.

Get notified of new replies

To Tackling Watkins Glen HPDE

Quick Reply: Tackling Watkins Glen HPDE