C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Corvette problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 03:56 AM
toppee
Cruising

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Corvette problem

Sharne here from New Zealand.
I have a 2016 Z06 with the 8 speed auto.Only done 7400 miles. I have never tracked the car or abused the car.
Im sorry to say that ive had so much trouble with this car.
First the diff had to be replaced with a new one (started to wine) ,and the car ran great for a while, then trouble with the transmission, so they put a new trans in.

The trouble i have now is when I start to slowly accelerate a loud pump or motor noise starts at the rear left side of the car. It goes away after I reach around 35-40 mph. A service rear axle message appeared but it hasn't come back .
To me it sounds like the ELSD pump for the diff, so I disconnected the fuse #10 for the electronic rear diff module,went for a drive and I couldn't here the noise. Put the fuse back in and the noise came back. So to me its something to do with the Elsd pump.
With having the rear out twice could the pump be low on oil or maybe the module has crapped out.
Im going back to the dealer but they dont know allot about these cars here in New Zealand.
Any imfo or advice which i can go to the dealer would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:19 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 639 Likes on 376 Posts

The differential whine was a fairly common problem on the 2016's after 10K miles or so. I had the same problem with my 2016 and it took forever to get a replacement unit. The noise you're hearing has to be the pump unit, the cause is anybody's guess but your dealer ought to be able to contact GM in the States for some guidance.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-09-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:32 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

The ELSD hydraulic system needs to be filled and bled. It is a separate fluid reservoir from the diff gears. Try this link for starters. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ice-specs.html
Old 07-10-2019, 02:38 AM
toppee
Cruising

Thank you very much for your reply guys. I have read in the manual about the bleed procedure and my gut is telling me its that. I just thought I would email on the forum in case it might have been something else.
Its a shame That I have had so much trouble with this car and Im almost ready to trade it in on a 2018 Z06 but every time I drive it I get out with a big smile on my face.
Really appreciate the help.
Sharne
Old 07-10-2019, 06:30 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
The differential whine was a fairly common problem on the 2016's after 10K miles or so. I had the same problem with my 2016 and it took forever to get a replacement unit. The noise you're hearing has to be the pump unit, the cause is anybody's guess but your dealer ought to be able to contact GM in the States for some guidance.
Yikes, first I've heard of this and since I've only got about 6k on mine wondering if this is another thing that is going to crop up.. damn, those C8's might be looking a lot better than I originally thought.... So just how "common" is this issue?
Old 07-10-2019, 08:43 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 639 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by azcanuk
Yikes, first I've heard of this and since I've only got about 6k on mine wondering if this is another thing that is going to crop up.. damn, those C8's might be looking a lot better than I originally thought.... So just how "common" is this issue?
In fairness, it looks to me that it was probably in a portion of the model run and not necessarily as big a problem as the cracked wheels issue. Just be aware that if you start to hear a sound similar to what an old truck rear end has, whether by acceleration and deceleration but not at the exact mid point where you're not putting any torque on the differential, you've got a problem with your differential. The bad part for me and several others recently is that replacement units are scarce. My dealer got 4 units from GM; out of the first three, two had leaks from cracks in the case and the third was actually another core taken from a car with the same problem. The 4th was finally ok but the car was laid up at the dealer for 8 weeks.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:48 AM
toppee
Cruising

When the dealer check my diff that had to be replaced it only had 2 quarts of oil. Unfortunately the car had already done 2500 miles so the diff was toast. We checked the oil in the new diff when installed. I did 3000 miles and decided to drain out old diff fluid. I was amazed how discoloured the oil was. Maybe because of the break in time?
Im thinking of doing another 3000 miles and change it again. Its not that hard to change and I think its safe insurance.
Im getting the GM diff oil on E-bay at a reasonable price.
Sounds like theirs been allot of corvettes that the diffs are low on oil.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:39 PM
dale fehrenbach
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 148 Posts

I have a 16 Z06 7M with 16,000 miles with zero problems. Your issues are unacceptable and I hope you get a good resolution.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:11 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by toppee
When the dealer check my diff that had to be replaced it only had 2 quarts of oil.
I had the first oil change performed at 571 miles and at that time had dealer check Differential fluid level... indicated was "slightly" low, filled it up and torqued fill plug. Here is hoping I'm not subject to the noise issues due to having it checked/filled almost from day 1.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:10 AM
toppee
Cruising

Good idea to check diff fluid. Im sure it will be fine. Im 100% certain that the low diff oil killed my diff, I know of two others that have done the same. My new diff is fine.
I dont understand how GM let this one slip on a high end sports car!
The dealer has contacted me about the pump noise and apparently it can take 3 bleed cycles to get all the air out of the ELSD diff pump and they only done it once, so theirs still air in the system and its not a big deal to fix.
So its going back to get sorted.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:00 PM
toppee
Cruising

the dealer has bleed the ELSD pump and checked oil level and the car is running great. No more pump noise.
The following 2 users liked this post by toppee:
djnice (07-16-2019), Null Pointer (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 03:35 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Thanks for following up with how the issue was resolved.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette problem

Quick Reply: Corvette problem