Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top speed OEM?

 
Old 07-11-2019, 05:58 PM
  #1  
usrodeo4
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
usrodeo4's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2019
Posts: 36
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Top speed OEM?

Hey Gents...Pending my PPI I take delivery tomorrow over in Sarasota...yep I am excited! Anyway just thinking out loud, not trying to set any land speed record just curious from an Engineer's standpoint. I have read that the published Top Speed for the Z06 is 195 MPH. Haven't done much research but I believe that is with the level 3 aerokit (which obviously is going to restrict top speed) and a coupe. My understanding is the final drive is 2.41:1, I don't know what the top OD ratio is in 8th gear (auto), but that can be gotten and I can get the redline RPM number pretty easily along with the tire circumference so can calculate a theoretical top speed but I am asking real world...has there been a top speed test of the stage 1 aerokit in the coupe and Vert? Top up vs. top down? Does Chevrolet have any Top Speed limiter in the vert or any guidance on usage with Top up or down? Thanks for any and all information. Also for those who have driven their vettes up near 200MPH, how does the Z06 feel? My 997TT had a real world TS of about 198 MPH and I had her there a couple times...Dead Solid...but yeah the road got a little skinny.
usrodeo4 is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 11:18 AM
  #2  
Prime Target
CF Senior Member
 
Prime Target's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: New Windsor NY
Posts: 973
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Congrats on your new vert. I’d be interested in hearing of any differences in top speed between the vert and coupe too.
Prime Target is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 03:02 PM
  #3  
RonC7
CF Senior Member
 
RonC7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis Metro East IL
Posts: 1,087
Received 271 Likes on 207 Posts
Default

You will not get to redline in 8th gear. Top speed is horsepower limited. I would expect top speed will be in 5th or 6th gear.
RonC7 is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 03:11 PM
  #4  
desibaba
CF Senior Member
 
desibaba's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2011
Location: Ft Lauderdale Florida
Posts: 1,027
Received 181 Likes on 105 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RonC7 View Post
You will not get to redline in 8th gear. Top speed is horsepower limited. I would expect top speed will be in 5th or 6th gear.
And if the car is fully stock what would it be?
desibaba is online now  
Old 07-12-2019, 03:45 PM
  #5  
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member
 
BrunoTheMellow's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,890
Received 507 Likes on 404 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by usrodeo4 View Post
Hey Gents...Pending my PPI I take delivery tomorrow over in Sarasota...yep I am excited! Anyway just thinking out loud, not trying to set any land speed record just curious from an Engineer's standpoint. I have read that the published Top Speed for the Z06 is 195 MPH. Haven't done much research but I believe that is with the level 3 aerokit (which obviously is going to restrict top speed) and a coupe. My understanding is the final drive is 2.41:1, I don't know what the top OD ratio is in 8th gear (auto), but that can be gotten and I can get the redline RPM number pretty easily along with the tire circumference so can calculate a theoretical top speed but I am asking real world...has there been a top speed test of the stage 1 aerokit in the coupe and Vert? Top up vs. top down? Does Chevrolet have any Top Speed limiter in the vert or any guidance on usage with Top up or down? Thanks for any and all information. Also for those who have driven their vettes up near 200MPH, how does the Z06 feel? My 997TT had a real world TS of about 198 MPH and I had her there a couple times...Dead Solid...but yeah the road got a little skinny.
There's a hennessy video of them doing 0-186 on a Z06. It takes ages above 170 due to all the drag. YouTube it.

Your top speed doesn't matter between models as much as your 60-130 or 100-150.
BrunoTheMellow is online now  
The following users liked this post:
desibaba (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 06:16 PM
  #6  
serpent
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2014
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 223
Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Wouldnt the limiting factor be the fact that its a convertible? Those would have a lower top speed than the regular coupe right?
serpent is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 06:21 PM
  #7  
Mr. Gizmo
CF Senior Member
 
Mr. Gizmo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 5,157
Received 364 Likes on 293 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow View Post
There's a hennessy video of them doing 0-186 on a Z06. It takes ages above 170 due to all the drag. YouTube it.

Your top speed doesn't matter between models as much as your 60-130 or 100-150.
too speed stage 3 aero is 180 to 185. Top speed stage 1 is maybe 190 to 195 and takes 3 or 4 days to get there . After 150 mph the c7z dies off no ones at home.
Mr. Gizmo is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 09:45 PM
  #8  
tzoid9
CF Senior Member
 
tzoid9's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,090
Received 217 Likes on 169 Posts
Default

Let's see, you live in Sarasota, so in my experience, the only high speed roads you have are I-75 and some out of the way places on Rt. 41. Not that I really care, but why the fascination on what the car's top speed is? You won't likely do either of those speeds on either of those two roads unless you are drinking, smoking or shooting something. That comment on 60-130 being important and "fun" is probably the best advice to you. Truly, killing yourself is your decision, but taking someone with you, which quite often happens, you should be punished severely and won't deserve to live. Enjoy the car, don't kill yourself in it.
tzoid9 is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 10:23 PM
  #9  
Raysmuffler
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2017
Location: Bountiful Utah
Posts: 12
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default


Sun Valley Road Rally last year I took an almost stock Z06 past 200mph. We had 2 miles from start to finish line. I did remove rear spoiler pieces and front splitter side winglets to free up some drag. About 1\8 mile before finish line we actually hit 207mph but dropped 2mph by the finish line.

Raysmuffler is offline  
The following users liked this post:
555ctsv (07-14-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 12:13 AM
  #10  
16/C7Z
CF Senior Member
 
16/C7Z's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,648
Received 1,392 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Default

Lol. The nay sayers will never accept that the stock Zp6 can crest 200mph because..... they read on the internet that it can't..

They also read on the internet about how slow it is.

If you beat on it itll overheat..

Even a hyundai can kick its *** above 120...

Shall i go on?

I've been pretty high up in mph in mine woth stage III on and in full effect and rate of speed is relative..... the Z06 is pretty dam fast above 120 and is still pretty dam fast above 150..

Plenty of videos to back that up.

Sktck Z06 can do 200 if there's room. They sacrificed the top end for downforce in a cost effective way. It works. You get a lot more than what you pay for with this car. As you do with every model in the line up going to back to C5...

There will always be the haters..most are self hating and never happy no matter what.

Enjoy your mew Z06.. i know i will (again) when i trade my 16 for a 19 in a little more than a month once it's built.
16/C7Z is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by 16/C7Z:
capevettes (07-13-2019), Prime Target (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 09:51 AM
  #11  
Mr. Gizmo
CF Senior Member
 
Mr. Gizmo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 5,157
Received 364 Likes on 293 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Raysmuffler View Post

Sun Valley Road Rally last year I took an almost stock Z06 past 200mph. We had 2 miles from start to finish line. I did remove rear spoiler pieces and front splitter side winglets to free up some drag. About 1\8 mile before finish line we actually hit 207mph but dropped 2mph by the finish line.

Do you have the full pdr video where the car is run up to 207 you could post? Is this an m7 or a8

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 07-13-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Mr. Gizmo is offline  
Old 07-13-2019, 11:13 AM
  #12  
Raysmuffler
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2017
Location: Bountiful Utah
Posts: 12
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo View Post
Do you have the full pdr video where the car is run up to 207 you could post? Is this an m7 or a8
Here is the link to the full PDR video in Sun Valley Idaho last year. To answer your question my car has an A8 trans.
Raysmuffler is offline  
Old 07-13-2019, 11:16 AM
  #13  
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member
 
BrunoTheMellow's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,890
Received 507 Likes on 404 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Raysmuffler View Post
Here is the link to the full PDR video in Sun Valley Idaho last year. To answer your question my car has an A8 trans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXFseqXAY0I
That doesn't sound right. And it's way too fast for a stock Z06 with just intake TB and xpipe.

At first I thought the video was sped up. But anyhow. That's awesome! Pretty stable too.

Likely that car has headers, upper and lower pulley and support mods. At that acceleration it's gotta be making 700+ whp

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 07-13-2019 at 11:22 AM.
BrunoTheMellow is online now  
Old 07-13-2019, 11:44 AM
  #14  
Mr. Gizmo
CF Senior Member
 
Mr. Gizmo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 5,157
Received 364 Likes on 293 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Raysmuffler View Post
Here is the link to the full PDR video in Sun Valley Idaho last year. To answer your question my car has an A8 trans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXFseqXAY0I
The Xpipe sure makes a big difference on the sound of the an otherwise stock motor (stock super charger, stock exhaust manifolds stock pulley , stock tune etc). I guess eliminating the down stream cats frees the car up.
Mr. Gizmo is offline  
Old 07-13-2019, 12:14 PM
  #15  
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member
 
BrunoTheMellow's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,890
Received 507 Likes on 404 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo View Post
The Xpipe sure makes a big difference on the sound of the an otherwise stock motor (stock super charger, stock exhaust manifolds stock pulley , stock tune etc). I guess eliminating the down stream cats frees the car up.
I have a car with a Corsa, had a car with a borla, and good friend has a borla. They don't sound like that. Borla actually makes the sound deeper. His sounds like an ARH setup.
BrunoTheMellow is online now  
Old 07-13-2019, 12:38 PM
  #16  
Higgs Boson
CF Senior Member
 
Higgs Boson's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 9,659
Received 1,065 Likes on 679 Posts
Default

A pair of headers isn't going to take a car from 185 to 207......

So either the car is heavily modded OR haters are misinformed.

Not sure which.
Higgs Boson is offline  
Old 07-13-2019, 01:20 PM
  #17  
Raysmuffler
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2017
Location: Bountiful Utah
Posts: 12
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow View Post
That doesn't sound right. And it's way too fast for a stock Z06 with just intake TB and xpipe.

At first I thought the video was sped up. But anyhow. That's awesome! Pretty stable too.

Likely that car has headers, upper and lower pulley and support mods. At that acceleration it's gotta be making 700+ whp
You may be right BrunoTheMellow about the playback speed. I went and watched the unedited version and it seemed slower and exhaust had a different sound to it. I think the editing software might have messed with the playback speed. ????? As far as the mods to the car go it might be hard to believe: Tony Mamo ported throttle body, AFE intake, Borla X-pipe and a Granetelli intercooler tank and some aero mods. That's it I promise. Car was putting about 540HP to the tires then. This year is another story. I just put a Magnuson 2300 supercharger, 103mm throtte body, meth injection, and catless downpipes (still used stock manifolds). It puts about 715HP to the tires now and keeps intake temps down way better. I am going back to Sun Valley on July 27th to see how it does. We are running on a different road this year north of town and higher elevation. Don't know what to expect. If it goes 210mph this year I will be happy.
Raysmuffler is offline  
Old 07-13-2019, 01:28 PM
  #18  
Bigg Slimm
CF Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Posts: 88
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo View Post
too speed stage 3 aero is 180 to 185. Top speed stage 1 is maybe 190 to 195 and takes 3 or 4 days to get there . After 150 mph the c7z dies off no ones at home.
I have to disagree, the stage 1 doesnt die after 150 nor would it take forever to get to 190.

This video is at Daytona with a passenger, both windows down and of course the banking. My car is a m7 and completely stock.

Bigg Slimm is offline  
The following users liked this post:
16/C7Z (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 09:42 PM
  #19  
BERETTA
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
BERETTA's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2000
Location: Jackson Tenn.
Posts: 1,679
Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts
Default

I have a 2015 Z06 with Z07, M7, and stage 3 aero.
At Arkansas Mile the first time car was stock, but I removed the rear wing down to stage 1 and removed the stage 3 winglets completely from the front. 178.5 MPH was my best run. Starting in first gear.

Year 2 I went back with LMR mods, now at 767RWHP, best speed starting from 2nd gear was 184.6, I know one would expect more improvement than that but just keep in mind that was starting in 2nd gear and there was a pretty strong head wind that day and the temps were in the 90s. I think I only remember getting one run in on that Sunday before the rain came.
Unfortunately for the M7 you have to go to 5th gear and its .82, forget trying 6th (.68). With a 3.42 rear gear.
The A8 has an advantage in the standing mile with 6th gear being 1 to 1. (4th gear is 1 to 1 in the M7)
BERETTA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Top speed OEM?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: