C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Ron Fellows vs Ford Performance Racing School

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 08:31 AM
salcolkat
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Ron Fellows vs Ford Performance Racing School

I am in Utah for the Ford Raptor Assault and decided to do the 1 day Ford performance racing school while i am here. The car you drive is a race prepped ford mustang GT with about 440 HP, roll cage etc. There is less classroom time than Ron Fellows. They do not use in car radios so there is less instruction while on the track during lead/follow. One cool thing is you go on track for about 30 minutes by yourself with no instructors. The biggest thing i realized is how much better a corvette handled on track than a mustang. The amount of grip compared to a corvette was night and day also the car seemed to have no turn in and just wanted to push all the time. obviously the power was way down from a ZO6 but that was to be expected. All in all the day was good but i was driving around the track at the end of the day not very confident of where i should be on the track while entering and going through corners. When i was driving the track at the end of the day at Ron Fellows I had a good sense of where i was supposed to be. Ron Fellows did a better job than Ford at instilling confidence in me on track. Just thought i would share my experience.
The following 5 users liked this post by salcolkat:
capevettes (07-15-2019), Kyflyer (07-16-2019), MikeyTX (07-15-2019), Pacembellum (07-15-2019), socalspringmountain (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 09:46 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Thanks for the review. I’d like to go back to Ron fellows.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:57 AM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

Its always cool to see comparisons like this. I have completed the Corvette Ron Fellows 2 day at Spring Mountain and also the BMW M car 1 day at Thermal (Palm Springs). The Corvette class was considerably better in a technical standpoint as you described.... Them explaining where you should be and helping you get faster. The M school was more... here are some keys, have fun with significantly less feedback

The one I keep hearing really good things about is the Porsche School in Atlanta. On my list!

Last edited by atljar; 07-15-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:42 PM
Meister Vette7
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Heading to Spring Mountain for the Ron Fellows school in October. Signed up for the M7 Z06. Really looking forward to it!
Old 07-15-2019, 03:09 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,556 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Spring Mountain is top shelf. Their instructors are excellent, so good in fact, that NASCAR drivers go there to refine their skills before a road course event.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:08 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Been to Spring Mountain several times. As capevettes stated, their instructors are top notch. The "wet weather driving" part of the school is an eye opener ! Especially in a Z06.
The following users liked this post:
capevettes (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 10:02 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by salcolkat
I am in Utah for the Ford Raptor Assault and decided to do the 1 day Ford performance racing school while i am here. The car you drive is a race prepped ford mustang GT with about 440 HP, roll cage etc. There is less classroom time than Ron Fellows. They do not use in car radios so there is less instruction while on the track during lead/follow. One cool thing is you go on track for about 30 minutes by yourself with no instructors. The biggest thing i realized is how much better a corvette handled on track than a mustang. The amount of grip compared to a corvette was night and day also the car seemed to have no turn in and just wanted to push all the time. obviously the power was way down from a ZO6 but that was to be expected. All in all the day was good but i was driving around the track at the end of the day not very confident of where i should be on the track while entering and going through corners. When i was driving the track at the end of the day at Ron Fellows I had a good sense of where i was supposed to be. Ron Fellows did a better job than Ford at instilling confidence in me on track. Just thought i would share my experience.
I don't think knowing where you should be on track has anything to do with the kind of car youre driving so not really understanding that part. That being said, Ron Fellows school is top notch and theres just no comparison of tracking a vette/mustang. One is a sports car, the other a muscle. In the end, a day on the track is a day on the track.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:43 PM
salcolkat
Racer

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I don't think knowing where you should be on track has anything to do with the kind of car youre driving so not really understanding that part. That being said, Ron Fellows school is top notch and theres just no comparison of tracking a vette/mustang. One is a sports car, the other a muscle. In the end, a day on the track is a day on the track.
Had nothing to do with the car but the amount of coaching we were given through out the course. Did not mean it wasn't fun. just my observation having done both schools.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:45 PM
salcolkat
Racer

Originally Posted by atljar
Its always cool to see comparisons like this. I have completed the Corvette Ron Fellows 2 day at Spring Mountain and also the BMW M car 1 day at Thermal (Palm Springs). The Corvette class was considerably better in a technical standpoint as you described.... Them explaining where you should be and helping you get faster. The M school was more... here are some keys, have fun with significantly less feedback

The one I keep hearing really good things about is the Porsche School in Atlanta. On my list!
The Ford school felt the same as the M school you described when compared to Ron Fellows.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:43 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Been to Ron Fellows Spring Mountain 2 times, first the 3 day Level 1 in a C6 ZO6 6M, and more recently the Corvette Owners School 2 day in a C7ZO6 7M. Top notch school, top notch instructors, already working on doing the Owners School next year when they get the C8's in.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:30 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by salcolkat
Had nothing to do with the car but the amount of coaching we were given through out the course. Did not mean it wasn't fun. just my observation having done both schools.
Gotta agree. At least their classroom sessions are interesting and not boring.

Get notified of new replies

To Ron Fellows vs Ford Performance Racing School

Quick Reply: Ron Fellows vs Ford Performance Racing School